Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Rage Against the Machine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hotwheelz, Feb 16, 2011.

1. hotwheelz

hotwheelz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just posted this on my site:

Last summer, my social worker informed me that, because I'd be turning 21, MediCAL would be cutting my hours down to 16 hours a day. Apparently 21 is the magical number where I start walking 8 hours a day. I think their reasoning is that either my parents can take care of me, or I can go into a nursing home. We've appealed the decision and have a hearing next month. I figure that maybe if I bring attention to this issue, there's a better chance of this ending well. The following is the statement I'll read to the judge:

I remember back in middle school, before the ventilator and feeding tube, me and my friends would walk home from school everyday. It was a short walk, a little more than 15 minutes. We would joke and make fun of fun each other and say words our parents would never let us say. There used to be a mailbox that was put right in the middle of the sidewalk. In order for me to get past it, I had to get dangerously close to the edge. One of my friends would always have to stand next to me to make sure I didn't drive off the sidewalk. Nevertheless, it was always the highlight of my day; Because, for that brief period of time, I actually felt like a normal kid.

One day, I got annoyed with my friends because they were taking too long. So I, being the cautious individual that I am, decided to walk home by myself. It seemed like a good idea at the time and, for about 15 minutes, it was. I felt empowered and independent. I was alone for the first time in my life, and it made feel more normal than ever. And then I saw it, the mailbox. It stood there in the middle of the sidewalk, taunting me. I knew I could make it through, but there was also a chance that I'd end up face first on the pavement with no around to help. So I had a choice: Go back to my friends or challenge the mailbox. It wasn't a hard choice in my mind, I was never one to let obstacles stand in my way. I took a deep breath, clenched my joystick and pressed forward. I imagined myself lying on the street, helpless, with cars whizzing by my head. I was afraid, but the thought of running back to my friends scared me more. I got dangerously close to the edge, but managed to make it through. I smiled triumphantly and made it home safely.

I've always wanted to be like everyone else. Or at least to be as successful. I've fought all my life to be as independent as possible and to have a chance at a normal life. It hasn't been easy. There's always been mailboxes in front of me, but I've prided myself on meeting and tackling them with everything I have. I want to be independent, but I need 24 hour care in order for me to do that. I don't want to rely on my parents for the rest of my life. I don't want to be forced into a nursing home because that's where people go to die and, with all due respect your honor, I've only begun living. Please your honor, give me the chance to be successful and I promise you that you won't be disappointed.

If any of you know anyone that might be able to help me get this story out there, I'd appreciate it if you linked them to this and have them email me.

P.S. I know this isn't the post you guys want. I'm still working on it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This board is really good at helping out, so if you guys could help me out one more time... I'll post my tits. For real.

FOCUS: Tweet it, stumble it, facebook, reddit, share it. Anything you can do to spread it around would be greatly appreciate it.

2. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

'Wheelz asked me if he could run this, and when a TiBber is in legitimate need, we help out! Plus, there was the promise of tits!

...man-tits...

Incidentally, my title for this thread was going to be "They see me rollin'...they hatin'!" but I digress. Let's show the world Idiot Power. If we can Wahoo somebody off the Internet for very little reason at all, we can certainly Wahoo somebody ONTO the Internet, amirite?

3. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You have no idea, Fry Man. They're so worth it.

Not to be a dick, but when I read this part, I pictured this as Ride of the Valkyries played.

I'll be sure to pass it on, at any rate. Good luck, HW.

4. hotwheelz

hotwheelz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Think more Rocky at 1mph.

Thanks and thank you to anyone that helps.

5. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just so I understand the issue. You currently have 24 hour a day care either subsidised or paid for by the state and they intend on cutting this to 16 hours a day?

6. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just linked to it on FB. There are a few people that I know who have friended every person they've ever met, so hopefully they spread it around.

Also, my super religious aunt is a FB addict. I'm guessing by noon today your name will be in about 50 different prayer groups, so you'll have some Jesus power to add on as well.

Hope it all works out.

7. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Perhaps a facebook fan page or causes campaign might help?

8. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Then we can all spend hours upon hours trying to match Facebook pages to TiB user names.

9. ASL

ASL
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Sounds like an awesome Stalker Challenge. Forget the Amazing Race.
    Anyway, a cause page might not be a bad idea considering the amount of facebook addicts out there.
    All the best HW.

10. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

On the offchance it's not a deliberate juxtaposition I wanted to mention that the line "I want to be independent, but I need 24 hour care in order for me to do that. " seems jarringly self-contradictory so I'm not sure if you want to rephrase it or not.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do to help. This is in California, right?

11. travdiddy84

travdiddy84
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Want to send me a PM and let me know what insurance company your benefits are through? I'm not familiar with state-sponsored plans like yours at all, but I work with people who are. At the very least I could see what options are available for you to explore through your health insurance provider (appealing, voodoo, etc.).

12. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Forgive me for my ignorance. I remember you said you were going to move out to go to college. Do you still live with your parents?

13. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Look on the brite side hotwheelz- With a little adjustment in your sleep schedule, you could get by on 16 hours. Just have one there when you fall asleep, and one there when you wake up. How much help could you really need while sleeping?

14. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You do know what "On the offchance" means, right?

Anyway, more constructively, I feel like there have to be all sorts of advocacy organizations in California (assuming that's the correct state) that can also be harnassed to increase the odds here. I'll poke around online later tonight to see what I can find.

15. hotwheelz

hotwheelz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

per advice:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.causes.com/causes/580020-stop-the-state-from-cutting-my-nurses/about?m=65c09a1c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.causes.com/causes/580020-sto ... m=65c09a1c</a>

16. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Joined, linked, and posted. Good luck man.

17. hotwheelz

hotwheelz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just got word that the hearing is on the 1st.

18. KillaKam

KillaKam
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Joined, and posted to my FB page.

Best of luck to you HW.

19. hotwheelz

hotwheelz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also, if any of you have any media contacts, it'd be great if you linked them to it.

20. Queen-Bee

Queen-Bee
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Joined the cause and sent the max allowed of my facebook friends to help. I added all the Americans I had. I wish you the best.