Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Programming -- shell / java / c# / python / ada / lisp

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If you're writing it yourself, discuss it here.

IDE's, coding issues, design patterns, etc.

I know it's a long shot, but I'm surely not the only one on here that does this stuff.

I know I've mentored a few people over the past few years from another board (that shall remain nameless), so if you're looking to get into it and need some advice, or have a difficult problem you're trying to solve, have at it.

2. Gramercy

Gramercy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Re: Can someone help me with this?

Does anybody know Visual Basic? I'm looking to teach it to myself and was wondering if there's a certain book I should get.

3. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Can someone help me with this?

Visual Basic or Visual Basic.NET?
    Mainstream VB lost support in 2006, so unless you're working on prepping for a job very specific in it, I don't see how it would be a good path.

As for VB.NET, If you already have programming experience I'd check out the documentation - most of MSDN's docs tend to give you details on how to implement things, so you just play with what looks cool.

If you want to learn to code and semi-arbitrarily picked VB, can I reccomend Java or Python as an alternative? They're more open standards, and less dependent on the IDE to implement.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just out of curiosity, what was your reason for picking VB?

Are you trying to hack some Office mods, or are you just looking to get into programming in general?

If it's more general, there are probably better things to choose, depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

5. goodfornothing

goodfornothing
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Exactly what I am wondering. I learned VB in high school for one semester and quickly dismissed it as bullshit and joined the C++ class the following semester.

6. clickclack

clickclack
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I've recently developed an interest in Java Programming. I'm no computer genius, and this was my first time getting into computer programming in general out of just pure interest. I researched around and came to the conclusion that Java is the best and safest route to go as far as future relevance is concerned. I've been studying from one of those "Complete Reference" books, and am actually very proud of how far I've come. I'm still on Core Java, and am currently getting into multi-dimensional arrays, which is taking some time to fully understand. I am planning on getting my sun certification once I feel I'm ready.

Either way, I was looking for some good websites out there as well as any possible mentors/networks, etc. concerning Java. I've come across a few decent tutorial sites, but nothing that really makes me want to stop reading from my book.

I'd also like to add that I think this thread should also contain things like programming tips/secrets or whatever else. Thanks in advance!

7. clickclack

clickclack
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I would also like to add that if you're interested in stuff like hacking and basically having the Internet and computers in general in the palm of your hands, a good language to learn is Perl. At it's core, it's all about opening sockets and ports and really fucking shit up. Couple it with Java, and you're Neo on crack.

8. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love perl, but god is it fuckugly - there's a reason they call it the swiss army chainsaw.

9. clickclack

clickclack
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

That book looks really awesome. I'm definitely considering dropping money on it, but does it cover everything there is to cover as far as Core Java goes? It seems like the book goes over a handful of topics but not everything. Not to mention, I'm already past many of the introductory stages of Java (loops, arrays, etc.)

Regardless, I think I'm gonna have to buy this. It's covering topics that I got into programming for. Many thanks for the link.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If you want to wrap your head around Java really easily and quickly, then go for this:

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Head-First-Java-K ... 399&sr=8-1

Hell, I highly recommend any/all of the Head-First series. Phenominal books for introducing you to an idea an giving you the basics.

If you really want to dig into it, and REALLY understand it, Bruce Eckel is your guy.

His Thinking in Java is a must-read for any serious object oriented programmer, Java or otherwise.

And it's a free PDF to download.

His site is not responding this morning, but a quick Google will show you the millions of places that you can download his PDF.

I bought the hard-cover too.

http://www.codeguru.com/java/tij/ has it for download.

[​IMG]

And I always have the O-Reilly Java In A Nutshell reference book beside me. Much faster and easier to thumb through that than an online spec, etc.

[​IMG]

And to understand how to handle the design of apps, these 2 books are huge, along with the understanding that you're not the first person to be doing what you're doing (details aside).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then, as you learn and mature, understanding refactoring is big, and Martin Fowler is THE MAN:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201485672

[​IMG]

I could go on and on.....

$0.02

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Oh, and for the actual Java IDE:

IntelliJ Idea.

Hands down the absolute best IDE I've ever developed in, and one of the few apps I don't feel badly about paying for.

If you can't afford shit, go get Eclipse. It's the De Facto standard.

A close third, especially if you're doing database development, is Oracle's JDeveloper. It's free to use for development, and has some very cool database-related tools built in.

12. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I always liked Netbeans over eclipse, but that's just familiarity.

13. clickclack

clickclack
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Yeah, that's what I use. When I first started out, I was just using notepad just so I could challenge myself like that. Switching over to NetBeans really improved my general trial/error sessions after coding.

Also, quick question. I have no degree as of yet. It's a long story, but if I get my Sun Certification, will colleges accept it and give me credits? Plus, what is the general scope for someone with nothing but a HS diploma and Sun Certification as opposed to someone with a degree in IT that's focused on Java. And by scope I mean salary as well as promotions.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Go watch THIS VIDEO.

Seriously. Watch that, and heed what he says. Zed Shaw is a bit of an arrogant ass hat, but I like him, and totally agree with what he says.

If you want to code, sky's the limit. The absolute best coders I've got on my team right now have no degrees and minimal certification... but they have experience and are insanely brilliant, and they build shit that works.

I find that certs/degrees generally get you into the door, but after that, 99% of it is actually delivering shit.

For instance, right now I've just canned a guy that has 2 PhD's in data management and database bullshit, but he's not getting anything done.

We're replacing him with a guy who has less education and experience, but can get shit done.

The vast majority of employers don't want perfect code, they want it Wednesday. If you can become a machine at pounding out code that works, you'll be a God.

Get a couple/few years of working for the man under your belt, see how things are done, learn what to and not to do, and then come up with your own idea, and go do your own thing.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Anyone ever done some advanced Microsoft C#/WCF programming? Specifically, have you ever written your own service-side IDispatchMessageInspector ?

I'm trying to figure some stuff out, and could benefit from someone else's insight and experience. (The internet is pretty weak on this stuff right now, as are the WCF groups).

Thanks in advance.

(Cue the sound of chirping crickets)

16. lerch

lerch
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

What does everyone think of SAP?

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Only software I know where they force the business to fit to the software rather than the other way around.

For what it does, I think it's best of breed.

18. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm an SAP Developer. Give me a yell if ou have any specific questions.

I can tell you one thing right off the bat, if you dont like reading german you may want to find another ERP to develop in.

19. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone know a good alternative to Textpad for running on Mac?

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I use TextMate. <a class="postlink" href="http://macromates.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://macromates.com/</a>

Also, the makers of UltraEdit (the editor I use on Windows) is porting to Linux (already done) and OSX (in the works).

When it ships for OSX I'll be buying.