Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Post-COVID Plans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

There have been several people in my life -- family, specifically -- who went off the deep end with this stuff. A combination of covid, the political environment magnifying the fart of every asshole, and people at home with nothing to do but "research" means a lot of really, really fucking stupid people became only more firm in their beliefs. They won't be missed. In fact, in a way I'm thankful covid has allowed me to see them for who they are.

On the flip side, our company has grown much stronger during this, and when push came to shove it became clear who was genuinely caring as well. I hate that covid happened, but I'm glad it separated the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

There's a growing trend of sporting venues specifically, and companies in general (such as airlines) only allowing attendance or otherwise use of their services for those who are fully vaccinated.

What we're seeing in the US, and granted it's on a state-by-state basis, is very different, sadly, from what y'all are still experiencing in Canada. Down here things are still terrible, but nowhere near the extent they used to be, and certainly trending in a proper direction to where it's reasonable to start to plan things again.

3. KIMaster2.0

KIMaster2.0
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Your big rebuttal to my entire post is "here's a paper that says it's unclear whether suicide rates in England have increased during the beginning of the pandemic"? In what was a throw-away comment to a larger point?

Okay, I will even steelman your argument for you. Let's assume that not only have suicides not gone up one iota in England or anywhere else in the world, but that, contrary to what Johns Hopkins says about every previous pandemic, suicide rates never go up for its entire duration...however long that will be. How does that change the point of my post?

I remember being called paranoid and delusional when I would tell people years ago that I was worried about all the chemical, biological, and genetic agents being cooked up in labs all over the world, and how catastrophic it would be if it got out and caused a worldwide pandemic. Some people looked at me as if I had sprouted a second head or escaped from the local loony bin.

I even remember being called paranoid and delusional in January/February 2020, when I told everyone that would listen that the coronavirus was hyper-deadly and would permanently change our world, back when the popular articles in Slate, MSNBC, and CNN were telling us it was less dangerous than the common flu and wearing masks was racist.

But hey man, just continue ignoring reality, binge watch some Netflix, and keep dreaming about some September concert that may or may not be cancelled! I'm sure everything will be wonderful and happy. Don't listen to the naysayers, until, that is, you're told to again.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

If you think I believe that’s forty thousand vaccinated and healthy people at a Ranger game two weeks ago, well, I simply DO NOT believe it.

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wouldn't believe it if you told me forty thousand people at a Ranger game could read.

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I would love to have a booth at a local farmer's market, too.

7. Chase!

Chase!
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

There is a big market for fake vaccination cards. I know many people who have them.

8. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I read a comment on reddit earlier and I 100% believe it: "If we had to fight WWII again, we would lose."

9. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Concerts.

That's pretty much the only activity that Jungle Julia and I do outside the house, and I still want to see Nine Inch Nails before I die or Trent Reznor stops touring.

On another note, I kind of agree with KIMaster.

I don't think it will be quite as bad as he says, but I do have a bad feeling that the authorities will keep the power of shutting down an industry/ business as an ace up their sleeve whenever they need to exercise some power for whatever reason.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

how is that not illegal?

11. Chase!

Chase!
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm not sure there is a law in place preventing it. Even if there is, who is going to check to see if your card is fake? For the record, mine is real. I was actually vaccinated.

12. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Other than work and the boys’ schooling, we haven’t been too affected by a lot of this over the last year. We don’t go out to dinner a lot, and rarely go to the movies unless it’s a Marvel or Star Wars movie. Our favorite hometown theater got sold to a local mega-church that vows to stop showing those evil movies like Harry Potter, so we’ll go to the theaters even less now. The extent of my social life is a couple nights a week at the Moose lodge.

The biggest impact was for our band, and we’re booking now more than we had in the year prior to Covid. That’s even with a couple cancellations because people are a little leery still.

I’m just looking forward to getting rid of the fucking mask. However I may still wear one at work, especially during flu season, because a bus load of kids is a Petri dish on wheels. I’ve enjoyed not being sick for over a year now.

And I’m looking forward to our oldest son being able to get in with his life and being able to go to college. Hopefully his younger brother’s senior year will be more “normal”.

What do I hope stays after? The more laid back holidays this year was fucking awesome. I’ll be encouraging both sides of the family to continue in such a way that keeps things less chaotic.

13. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it was more a "WWII US population is swapped out with current US population" scenario.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm in the process of buying some acreage in Northern Ontario (near Elliot Lake), to drag the Airstream to and camp out and fish, while working via Starlink. That is the short term plan this summer while we wait for shit to settle down. Just relax... stay sane... stay the fuck away from people in Meatspace.

That should bide us over until COVID shit gets sorted, I would hope.

Once it does get sorted out, really, there's not much I want to change.

As to going out, I would like to hit up some restaurants again for the occasional nice weekend meal...
    I want to be able to go out without the fear of dying because of others and invisible stuff that is stuck to them. In them. Around them.
    And I want to be able to invite others over for dinner parties again. I really do enjoy cooking for others, and getting them drunk.

Other than that, vacation wise, I have already booked some vacation for November of 2022, where I'm treating the family to an Antarctic cruise with National Geographic... assuming the rest of the world gets that COVID shit sorted out by then. Until then, I have zero plans for travelling by any other mode than "Dragging Airstream".

Then early 2023, my mom is going on a 3-4 month world cruise, and I'm looking at joining her for the last month of it.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The one thing I'm really happy about is that I was able to buy the house from mom, so she now has all the equity from the house and can spend it and enjoy it without worrying about where she's going to live, etc. She's got free room/board with me for life, which really opens up her opportunity to enjoy the rest of her life way more than she normally would have. No reverse mortgages, no downsizing into a condo, etc... same lifestyle, but now with a bit of cash in the bank to go and do whatever she wants.

16. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I believe that with all my heart.

For the most part I don’t feel like the things we’ve been asked to do are over the top or infringing on our rights. Things suck, sure, and some people have been impacted more than others, but many more have simply been inconvenienced.

I can’t imagine what things would have been like if people responded to the call back then as they have now. And I’ve said before, this was our generation’s “moment” like our grandparents faced. This was our shot to pull together, rally around a common cause and be strong.

And we blew it.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

We failed at telling stupid people to STFU. Instead we empowered them with safe spaces and the right to be heard.

18. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Or perhaps I grew up listening to my grandparents, their siblings and friends, many of whom were also there.

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

This thread isn’t as fun as I thought it would be.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

HOOKERS AND BLOW.

There, better?