Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Pop Culture Rules

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Benzilla, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

A sequel will always be half as good as the film that preceded it*.

This is why Jurassic Park II was ok, but why number three sucked so bad. It was only half as good as the second film and a quarter as good as the first. Police Academy also illustrates this principle.

*The only exception to this is Terminator II.

2. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm game to watch anything but if it's advertised with 3D and obviously does not need to be 3D (Alice in Wonderland, The Final Destination) I'm going to avoid it.

3. Benzilla

Benzilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I tend to avoid anything where the title is a terrible attempt at being ironic. Case in point: Happy Town. The commercials for it on ABC are written like they invented the ironic title, "It's called Happy Town but it's really anything but."

Give me a break.

4. manihack

manihack
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

And The Empire Strikes Back. And the Return of the King. And The Dark Knight. Should I keep going?

5. NeonWraith

NeonWraith
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'll give you The Dark Knight, but since the other two were meant to be part of a trilogy, sequel rules don't really apply.

Edit: Edited for typo.

6. bicyclethief

bicyclethief
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

It's a good rule but there are rare exceptions...

Godfather II, Before Sunset, The Barbarian Invasions, Evil Dead II(sequel/remake halfbreed), Dawn of the Dead 78', Dolemite II: The Human Tornado, Etc.

Two more, The State. Sorry but I can't find any good links for one MTV's best shows.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/375229/porcupine-racetrack.jhtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/375229/p ... rack.jhtml</a>

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Others: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacaation, Aliens, Conan the Destroyer (just kidding).

...and am I the only one who liked the first Termintaor movie better than the second?

8. NeonWraith

NeonWraith
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

9. Zazz

Zazz
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

There's a lot of hating on this thread. Most of it I agree with, but I think maybe a few generalizations are unwarranted. I could also be way wrong.

First off, I should clarify that I don't wear a scarf, horned-rim glasses, or tight pants. I am Joe Average, with normal jeans and skate shoes. Same with almost all my friends (I don't really have any). Where I take offense is not fashion, but drink choice and music, and how that groups me in with the douchebags through association.

I drank PBR in college because it was 12 dollars for a 30 pack, not because it was hipster or trendy. I used to get shit for drinking it because it was so cheap. Where's the hate on MLH? Champagne of beers, my ass.

I get most of my music off snowboard and surf videos. The soundtracks generally vary from Prince to Toots and the Maytals to Wu-Tang to Donovan to the dreaded Indie band, e.g. MGMT. It might be the fact that when I hear the songs I get stoked and think of dropping a 20ft. cliff or catching a 2 minute ride on the longboard, but I just don't understand the automatic Indie=hipster, and therefore Indie=shit. Should underground hip-hop be grouped in with Indie because so few people listen to it?

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

My #1 Pop Culture rule (right now, anyway) is to leave sleeping threads alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.