Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Pop Culture Junk Drawer

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Crown Royal, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lamest twist of the show. The mental breakdown of the characters is what makes it great (except when the old lady melodramatically falls screaming on the painting). I think they should have left it open ended like The Odyssey of Flight 33. No explanation just hopelessness. Still one of my favorite episodes.

Anyone catch the Jordan Peele revival? I didnt feel like paying for it. Already cancelled I guess.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It was still pure hopelessness. It wasn’t just a dream, the Earth was moving further away from the Sun and was going to just get colder and colder.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Still felt a little hokey and cheap to me. There are a number of episodes that don’t try to explain anything, like the one I mentioned or ‘little girl lost’.* Just normal people thrown into odd situations and the lack of a resolution made it that much better. I think this episode would have been served better that way. Still love the episode.

* This is the one where the girl falls into the 4th dimension in the hallway wall of her house. I always thought it was funny her dad just happened to be a rocket scientist who could pontificate on the nature of time and reality to help save her. Luckily it wasn’t a girl trapped in a wall in the back woods of Alabama.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I know the one you're referring to. I never liked the ones like that or ones that deal with robots/computers because they feel so anachronistic now. I much preferred the episodes that dealt with mass hysteria and Cold War paranoia.

5. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've always had a soft spot for the sappier/hokier episodes:

Walking Distance
    Changing of the Guard
    Night of the Meek
    The Masks
    Mr Bevis (I probably like this one, because the main character is a daydreaming doofus like me......And the guy who plays Mr Bevis did the voice of Bilbo in the animated LOTR movies!)

Even as hokey and sappy as they could be, they were just so earnest and well written they still rank at the top for me.

I haven't really gotten into the new series. It seems like it's been aping black mirror a bit too much for what I might like and veers too dark for my taste. I might still check it out at some point.

#85 bebop007, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Monsters Are Due was the true pinnacle of that for the show. It’s an absolute “Red Scare” masterpiece that deserved a full length movie with a good filmmaker. It also inspired Kang & Kodos on The Simpsons.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

If you haven’t seen the episode, “The Shelter”, I highly recommend it. We watched that one and Monsters Due when I was in High School as part of a lesson about how people felt about the Cold War.

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The “Star” option is the best thing about Disney plus. It’s the adult content section that has some of the best action and comedy films of all time. And great classic shows, too.

11. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We really love Disney+ but it feels like some of their content is hidden among all the other stuff. Particularly the classic shorts. Last I looked I saw they added holiday content which is awesome.

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Movies are $3 on Saturday for National Cinema Day. This includes IMAX format. So, a good time catch the IMAX for Top Gun: Maverick or the re-release of Jaws.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Every person involved with that show hated Chevy Chase. Is he being involved?

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nope.

And, his character died during the show.

17. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

Ticketmaster eating shit because of their Taylor Swift "presale" and the resulting disaster on the technical and PR side is awesome. Now all of the proposed changes against TM is going to make for a hell of a wild ride. Apparently Taytay has an astonishing amount of power.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Anyone who works for Ticketmaster should be dipped waist-deep into a saltwater tank while sharks gnaw their legs into stumps. The mob should take racketeering lessons from them.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The latest bunch of MSM is now blaming Taylor Swift for the problem. TM seems to have excellent PR.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Sweet. The company called TICKETmaster has nothing to do with gargantuan fuck-up of TICKETS being sold. I guess these people have selective amnesia on what kind of a company they’ve been the past four decades or so. A company who went to absolute war against Pearl jam because god forbid a band profits off its own shows and/or doesn’t rip off their fans.

Concerts are the one and only thing I miss standing in line for. When box offices still existed it kept “first come first serve” a lot more fair. Of course in the 90’s, many concert cost as much as a movie. Now tickets cost as much as an international flight.