Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Pop Culture Junk Drawer

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Crown Royal, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Strange Days is his best production job but let’s face it: he directed at least half of that movie.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’ve heard it was for this one too.

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Im not sure how much he owns Strange Days, I just know its criminally underrated.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He wrote the original story, wrote the screenplay, he produced it, he edited it and he directed at least the final twenty minutes of the film.

He also funded it via Lightstorm. The film was Cameron’s in nearly every technical way. And it’s a masterpiece, but it flopped and is destined to become a lost classic.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Well I think it flopped because people just didnt understand it like they would today. Its somehow both ahead of its time and very anachronistic with the Year 2000 trope.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was also delayed and the advertising sucked. It was set for a summer release and they pushed it to October and marketed it as a straight-up sci-fi-movie and it simply isn’t that. “Urban Noir Action-Thriller” is how I would describe it. It predicted VR would be the new rage (it wasn’t), that voyeurism would become an obsession (check) and that police would become pseudo-military (they have).

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah, I forgot about that whole thing. Im not sure why that was even a plot element. It would have made more sense that she was afraid of Buffalino if she had witnessed him committing a crime or something. It was just a really creepy interaction. I wonder of Scorsese was trying to recreate the type of scene he had in Taxi Driver where Bickle is buying black market guns in a hotel room. The dealer is all calm and cooler from Travis's perspective because he wants the guns but when he starts talking about other goods hes dealing, hes all frantic and creepy. I guess this could have been a similar thing of Frank's perspective of Buffalino vs a normal person's. Who knows.

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’ve been WAITING for someone to bring this up as I just saw this like a month ago. I honestly didn’t know how much material Quinton Tarantino lifts for content in his films. So that gun dealer from Taxi Driver was just this crazy guy Martin Scorsese knew. Scorsese did a whole documentary on him where he just interviewed him and had him talk non stop for 2 hours back in the 70s. In the doc the guy relates this story of how he brought his girlfriend out of an OD coma with a shot of adrenaline. Word for word, his mannerisms and everything were copied directly into the famous scene in Pulp Fiction. Eric Stultz basically replays the scene from the documentary.

I mean I know he’s copied styles and remade scenes shot for shot cinematography wise but I didn’t know he lifted whole lines and ideas straight from other material.

9. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You've never seen the documentary "Who Do You Think You're Fooling?", have you.

Check it out; it's on YouTube.