Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Podcast? What the fuck is a Podcast? I own a Zune....

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Luke 217, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

What's your favorite Podcast?

I've got about 10 that I subscribe to, but to be honest, I only really listen to 4. More often than not, I end up listening to them over and over again because listening to them twice is better than the other shit out there. But then I constantly tell myself that it can't be right, there are thousands of fucking podcaster's out there.....

So tell us who you listen to, why you listen to them, and fuck it,,,,, if you want.... showcase your favorite episode of them for us.

Here's my top two:

The Adam Carolla Show
    My favorite podcast, and according to everyone on the internet, its everyone's favorite as well. Adam Carolla is kinda like one of my favorite TV shows of all time, The West Wing. Most of the time I don't agree with a goddamn thing that they/he talk about, but its just so fucking entertaining. So I guess Carolla is just like Aaron Sorkin, except Carolla is a semi-fucking retard that has an innate ability to suss out what the fuck is really going on in today's culture, then make a metaphor about it that rings true. All while being hilarious.
    Pertinent info: It is a daily show that runs for 90 minutes. Carolla is surrounded by Teresa Strasser who does some lighthearted news every day, Bald Bryan does his radio drops and sometimes adds a comment or two. They sometimes play a lighthearted game like Blah Blah Blog, Who the Eff sells this Ess?, or Germany or Florida?,,, and a bunch others... Then they have a daily "C" or "D" list celebrity on who may or may not suck the stalactites from a sweaty nutsack. They do have sponsors, but they only do commercials for them 2 or 3 times per 90 minutes.. Which is great because it makes it free for the public.
    It is also an "R" rated podcast. I think their record for using the word "cunt" was around 30 or so.
    There are other podcast's on Adam's network (The Ace Broadcasting Network), that you may or may not enjoy.
    (my favorite episode is an oldie. It was on 10/23/2009, with the boys from Broken Lizard. I was in fucking tears by the end of it)

SModcast
    I've been a big Kevin Smith fan ever since watching Mallrats years ago. I've seen pretty much everything he's done, (with exception to Jersey Girl) I've seen all of his "Evening With" series, and have seen him live twice. Why do I tell you all of this? Because I am nowhere close to his target fan. Kevin Smith is the epitome of a Fanboy. I on the other hand, have never read a comic book in my life, I couldn't tell the difference between Marvel or DC, and I don't give a shit that Lucas fucked up Star Wars by making a prequel. BUT... I'll listen to that conversation if its between Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier on their weekly SModcast. It's that good.
    Pertinent info: This is a weekly show, if I recall its usually about an hour long. They (Smith and Mosier) usually never have a guest, and its basically just them shooting the shit with each other. They also have 4 or 5 other shows on the SModcast network.
    They have one sponsor. Fleshlight. They do a minute or so long blurb at the beginning of the show in which they talk about having sex with Fleshlights.
    This is also a free podcast.
    It is also an "R" rated show. They regularly use salty language, and talk about subjects that make a longshoreman blush.
    (my favorite episode is number 90. "Forgeticus". Its about one of the Harry Potter movies. And I'll add, I've never seen a Harry Potter movie, and I almost pissed myself listening to them)

I've got a couple other favorites, but I'll chime back in if the thread has legs.

Focus: Tell us what your favorite Podcast is. And tell us why goddamn it.

2. Backroom

Backroom
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: Uhh Yeah Dude. I'm not sure how to describe it, but its been around since 2006 and always brings the funny about current events and the like. No frills, just two guys, 2 mics and great way to spend an hour every week.

<a class="postlink" href="http://uhhyeahdude.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://uhhyeahdude.com/</a>

3. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are only two podcasts I have been able to listen to for more than 2 shows without getting overly annoyed at how stupid and boring they were.

The Adam Carolla Podcast-

It's essentially Adam ranting and raving about various problems in Los Angeles, his personal life, or the world at large, in addition to hilarious personal stories. Carolla is a reasonably intelligent and funny guy, and most of the things he argues are logical and sensible, regardless of a listener's personal beliefs.

On the downside, co-host Teresa Strasser, who also does the news, is both painfully unfunny and stupid, adding absolutely nothing positive to the show. Robin Quivers she is not. I liked the show more when it was just a 50 minute interview with a random guest instead of a 90 minute full show with Teresa's annoying antics. Still, I listen in to 2-3 shows a week.

Bill Simmons Podcast (BS Report)-

This is really fucking hit or miss. Certain podcasts, especially the ones with the overexcited reality TV show idiot Simmons loves, are completely awful and should be skipped. Occasionally though, there is an interesting topic, a good guest, and the show is palatable.

I probably listen to less than a third of the podcasts, but I'm still listening.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

While I tend to agree that Teresa isn't a good back up as she could be, she isn't terrible, and some of bits that her and Adam get into are really funny. I kind of miss Bald Brian having more commentary, now that he has that audio drop machine he rarely pipes up himself. It's too bad because he is really funny when playing off Adam. I can't say the same for him with the Film Vault with that other douche, they are painfully unfunny. This podcast is by far my favorite.

http://www.hollywoodsaloon.com/

This is one of the only movie podcast that I have ever liked. The only shitty thing is, is that the guys that do it rarely do shows anymore. They usually pick a hollywood related topic, (3d, dvd audio commentary, film canon, ect) and nerd out for a solid few hours. I really liked how they cover in the ins and outs of every topic they do. They tend to use a lot of long audio clips which can get annoying.

http://www.billburr.com/mmpc.htm

Comedian Bill Burr's Monday Morning podcast. I can see this being hit or miss with people. It is just Bill Burr sitting on his couch with a mic ranting about anything that comes to mind. His sports rants are probably the best part as he is a avid sports fan. A good number of times he informs you that it is his second or third attempt to record the podcast that day because he fucked the first ones up bad. The guy is really funny.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Adam Carolla Podcast

I listen every day at work and sometimes my coworkers have to tell me to shut up because Im laughing so hard. The show is different since its change a few months ago, and very different than when it started in early 2009. Not every show is off the wall hilarious and some guests are not fun at all, but overall its better than anything else out there.

Favorite episodes: any with Deaf Frat Guy, Dana Gould, and the one where Kevin Nealon hosted.

This Week in Tech (TWiT)

Im a geek and I love this stuff. Leo Laporte is pretty entertaining and anyone who loved the old Screensavers show will like this. If you dont know computers/tech, youll be bored to tears.

6. Sicnevol

Sicnevol
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

7. p00g0blin

p00g0blin
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Other than what's already been mentioned, I'd say:

The Joe Rogan Experience

8. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am not from Philly, nor have I ever been there but WMMR's Preston and Steve show is a great quality 2 hour morning show. Its funny and free for download through itunes, they have comedians and good interviews.

Also not free but I pay the 8 bucks a month to download The Bob and Tom Show, it can get a bit annoying at times but for original content and songs from fantastic comedians you can't beat it.

9. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Stuff You Should Know- The people from the website How Stuff Works pick a topic each week and explain it eg. Bail Bonds, Wind Turbines, Grow houses, Ticks. I learn quite a bit from this show.

Pardon the Interruption- Just the tv show from the previous day. I always miss them on the tube so this helps a lot.

Confessions of an EMT Newbie- The host is currently in training to become an EMT and interviews a 20+ year veteran. I have no interest in ever becoming anything close to an EMT but I find this highly entertaining and informative. They talk about the different gear they use and the veteran tells some pretty amazing and heartbreaking stories.

The Skeptics Guide to the Universe Members of the New England Skeptics Society talk about science news and debunk pseudoscience stories. Can get pretty nerdy at times and isn't the most exciting podcast but is definitely informative.

10. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

In the same vein, Around the Horn is much better when you don't have to look at the panelists. As long as it's not Mariotti-Paige-Plaschke-Ryan it's usually enjoyable.
    I have a lot of podcasts, but I don't have any that I anticipate and listen to every episode.
    Turbulence Training Podcast - podcast from personal trainer Craig Ballantyne is generally made up of interviews with other fitness professionals. There's a lot of good stuff here if you're into fitness & nutrition.
    Filmdrunk Frotcast - Filmdrunk.com is a pretty entertaining website many of you are aware of. The podcast contains commentary and interviews, sometimes with celebrities.

11. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Can't believe I forgot these:
    Onion Radio News - Updated daily, they're 45 second radio stories narrated by the great Doyle Redland
    Onion News Network - (video) Fantastic video news stories, from roundtable debates between "panelists" to an awesome morning show parody.

12. playcrackthesky

playcrackthesky
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I've just been getting into Podcasts this past year (late to the fucking party, I know). I listen to mostly comedy podcasts, just because I've yet to find a non-funny one that holds my attention.

Nerdist:
    Hosted by stand up comic Chris Hardwick and two of his buddies, it's pretty much what it sounds like. Nerdy discussion, some really great interviews with comedians. Tends to focus on people's creative processes and the ins and outs of the industry. They have had some seriously awesome guests - Drew Carey, Adam Carolla, Jon Hamm, Andy Richter, Stan Lee, Rob Zombie, Ozzy Osbourne, Adam Savage from Mythbusters, Weird Al... And this podcast just started in February. The monthly live shows are a blast. I've listened to and enjoyed every episode so far.

WTF with Marc Maron:
    Funny, insightful, brutally honest discussion. Starts out with a monologue or a personal story of some sort, then there's a guest interview. More comedy nerd stuff, but they talk about everything; Maron's a good interviewer, and he has a background in radio so it sounds good. This isn't for everyone - Marc's smart and funny but he's not shy about sharing his social/political opinions and various neuroses. The first episode put me off, I'd just suggest picking whatever guest you want to listen to and starting there.

These are the two I'd recommend most. Other ones to check out:
    Fitzdog Radio - Greg Fitzsimmon's podcast. He's just fucking funny, and if you like Carolla you'll probably like him (I think they're on the same Sirius station).
    Doug Loves Movies - Comic and notorious stoner Doug Benson talks about movies with guests, recorded live at UCB every week.
    Never Not Funny - Jimmy Pardo's podcast. Funny, silly random conversation. The full show is 90 minutes and video, but unfortunately only 20 minutes of audio is available for free - to get the whole thing you have to pay. I haven't tried the pay version, though I've considered it, but the free version is plenty entertaining.

13. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Mikey Show:

He's the guy that blows Carrolla out of the water every morning in San Diego. The host is a recovering alcoholic/born again conservative Mexican dude with a lot of tattoos. The sports guy is from all over the place (mainly Texas) and is funny as hell. He's one of those guys that you find yourself using his phrases in conversation with other people. The news girl is a conservative rich girl from La Jolla who is better at making the news feel like conversation than anyone I've ever heard. Another cute blond on the show is a comedian/stereotypical California health nut bleeding heart... from Jersey. And though the Producer doesn't chime in that often, when he does, it's pretty twisted and funny.

I find that I strongly disagree with at least two of the people on the show at any given time, depending on the topic. But they feel like family when you listen regularly, and they're hilarious when they want to be.

14. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are a couple that just started on Kevin Smith's "SModcast network" that have been really good, but the one that stands out is:

Jay and Silent Bob Get Old

I've been digging the first two of this series. It has consisted of Jason Mewes and Kevin Smith bullshitting about their mutual past, as well as Mewes' previous drug use. It has been both really funny and, at times, kinda sad to hear about how fucked up Mewes was and how Kevin has attempted to deal with it. I highly recommend it, it is only 2 episodes old so far.

15. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/</a>

Posted it in the drunk thread, and I'm reposting it here. If anything, you have to admire the guy's tenacity. He's undertaken quite a feat: an oral history of Rome from republic to imperial power to ruin. Time constraints force him to gloss over a lot of detail, but he does an excellent job of touching on major historical events. I've found it extremely useful as a loose outline from which I've created a more in-depth reading list.

16. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Just discovered The Joe Rogan Experience. Very good.

Also - Talking Shit with Jim Jefferies and Eddie Ifft.

17. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Awesome additions.

Whoever submitted Fitzdog Radio is steaktits. Great podcast.
    Same thing for Uhh Yeah Dude, and Bill Burr.

Next up for me is diving into Joe Rogan and Jim Jefferies podcasts.

One more podcast that I absolutely love is Hollywood Babble-On with Ralph Garman and Kevin Smith. For the chicks out there, my Fiance loves Plus One with Kevin Smith and his wife Jennifer Schwalbach. I dig it too, just not nearly as much as she does.

Quick Question:
    Every motherfucker on the internet swears by "This American Life". I've tried to listen to it a couple of times, but goddamn I just cannot get into it. Is it worth giving it another chance, or should I not listen to these hipster fucks that fellate the teet of NPR?

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

TED Talks Video: They put out a video version of their TED talks as a podcast. You obviously need an iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to see the video.

CarCast: Adam Carolla hosts an hour long car show that is released every Saturday. Damn interesting, most of the time.

This Week with Larry Miller: Larry did a lot of guest spots on Adam's podcast, even hosted it for a couple of weeks. He loves it, and has now been brought in under the Ace Network umbrella with his own podcast. Episodes are 30 minutes usually.

Escape Pod: <a class="postlink" href="http://escapepod.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://escapepod.org</a> It's a science fiction podcast that releases stories under the Creative Commons license. There's usually a new science fiction audio-story every week, as well as reviews of sci-fi movies and stuff.

Old Time Radio Scifi: It's the old radio plays that used to play on Sunday nights back in the 40's or so. It's amazingly entertaining, but I'm a huge scifi geek, so your mileage may vary.

X Minus One: Yet another podcast of old scifi radio shows.

Judge John Hodgman: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.maximumfun.org/2010/11/01/judge-john-hodgman-podcast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.maximumfun.org/2010/11/01/ju ... an-podcast</a> You probably know him as the PC in the Mac TV commercials. He does a People's Court kid of podcast.

19. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

The Rich Eisen Podcast: It's a podcast by the NFL Network's Rich Eisen who invites celebrities, athletes and NFL analysts from different networks to discuss football. It's not award winning by any means but it's a pretty good podcast to listen to for football updates and opinions.

20. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Favorite podcast? The Ricky Gervais Show. Karl Pilkinton is the funniest man on Earth. Period.