Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Poaching Eggs

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by bewildered, Oct 20, 2017.

1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Practice makes perfect. It took me a little while to perfect it, so I'll share the tips that I learned along the way to make it a little shorter time for you to learn it too.

I take a small pan and put about an inch and a half or two inches of water in it. That's just enough water to have the eggs float but not be swimming. I crank up the temperature all the way, and when it starts to Bubble I reduce the temperature to about half. You want to maintain a temperature where it's just barely bubbling. Very hot but not simmering. When you get it to that stage, Splash and some white vinegar. More is better than less. I probably put in just under a quarter cup of white vinegar. I take a slotted spoon and my two eggs and crack the eggs directly into the water after I have stirred it so the water is spinning. The spinning keeps the tendrils sort of contained. I crack the other egg and dump it in on the opposite side of the pan as it still spinning and stir a little bit to keep it all spending. After it's been in there for about 2 minutes you can actually flip the eggs in the water so that they cooks more evenly and you get a pleasant even shape. I poach my eggs for about 4 minutes. They will be nice and fluffy with a runny middle.

Poached eggs on an English muffin with butter really hits the spot.

2. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Oh man thanks for posting this!! I finally have my hollandaise recipe down to where I can do it in my sleep (trick is to add the butter in cold, in small cubes) and eggs benedict has my heart.