Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Pillars of the Earth

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Roxanne, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't see a thread for this anywhere, but mods feel free to delete if there is.

Anyone watching this? It's only about two episodes in, but I'm pretty hooked. Of course, that could be because Ian McShane is in it, but hey, who cares?

#1 Roxanne, Jul 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Slambrarian

Slambrarian
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Oh yes, I am watching it. I read the book last summer and loved it & so far, it's pretty faithful to the book. The best thing about the show (so far anyway) is that I like all of the characters, except for the ones we are supposed to hate (the Hamleigh's, the creepy bishop and eventually
    Alfred
    So far, so good!

3. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My vote is still out on this one. It seems like there will be to many plotlines to cover and I don't know how much I like the Jack character.

I was absolutely shocked at the scene when the women pissed on Ian McShane and the mother gave her son a handjob in the tub, I'll give it a couple more views and see where it goes.

4. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They're definitely capturing the dirtiness of the Middle Ages.

Was there any explanation as to why William's mother has that scar on her face?

5. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I watched the first two episodes last night, and it was pretty meh for me. I think the pacing is really off, but I've read the book and it's hard not to compare them. The show seems to just hit the big events of the book without much of the character development. It's a shame, because the acting, costumes, settings etc. seem to be pretty good. I'll give it a few more episodes to see if it can suck me in.

6. SMUGolfer

SMUGolfer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

In the novel she is described as hideous and at every mention the character talking to her can barely gaze towards her face. Perhaps that is what the scar is symbolizing?

7. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just watched the ending last night and will say overall it was pretty good. Certainly they missed a lot of plot points from the book, but then again to cover everything it would take another 8 episodes. The one thing I was suprised to see they never mentioned was:
    Jonathan finding out Tom was his father. Or did they wrap that up with Phillip talking to Jonathan after Tom was killed ?

The incestuous relationship between William and his mother was an interesting twist, as was Remegius's past in last night's episode.

8. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They did show Phillip talking to him and saying I have a secret. I was pleasantly surprised with this series, the first two episodes were a little sluggish but it eventually picked up. It had some of the worst villains I have ever seen I just could not wait for them to be killed.

9. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I remember now.

Yeah overall they did a good job with it. I believe I read somewhere they have the option or script started for the follow up, "World Without End" which takes place in Kingsbridge 200 years later.