Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Peripherals

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

All things printers, drives, etc., for all OS's.

2. sublime

sublime
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

What should I look for in a DVD burner?

3. jordanReneker

jordanReneker
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Look to see whether your computer has a USB 2.0 or 1.1 or FireWire port then choose a DVD player that will work with that port. USB 1.1 is extremely slow.

Try to find one with a bigger buffer, The buffer is a bit of RAM on the drive that temporarily stores data before the laser writes it onto the disc.

4. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Internal or External?

5. MrPrime

MrPrime
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

You can go get a supercheap, fast SATAII dvd burner for under $30. It will do everything you want, and will not break the bank.

If your computer can handle it, get the SATA version of a drive over the IDE version. the speed difference is HUGE

6. sublime

sublime
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

External DVD burner, on my very slow and very weak Toshiba laptop.

7. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nevermind, I didn't read closely enough at the last post.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

So just picked one of these keyboards up a few weeks ago:

[​IMG]

Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

All I can say is that it's one of the best keyboards I've ever used, and will be picking up a couple more, and highly recommend them.

I've been using it on a Mac and a PC laptop, and both work well.

9. MrPrime

MrPrime
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I was looking at picking up a Eclipse II Keyboard and a Revolution Mouse.

Does anyone have experience with these things?

10. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've had a long ongoing love affair with buckling spring and cherry/alps switch keyboards - I'd reccomend the Das Keyboard (<a class="postlink" href="http://www.daskeyboard.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.daskeyboard.com/</a>) as pretty much the best thing I've ever typed on, though a better deal (though far uglier) would be a unicomp model m remake - <a class="postlink" href="http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/</a>

While Unicomp's online store looks sketchy theyre very on the ball

11. Denver

Denver
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

You can pry my Revolution from my cold, dead (right) hand. I use it with my Mac and absolutely love it. It fits my hand perfectly and I have all the buttons customized to do exactly what I want them to do. I've had it for at least 2 years and it still works just as well as the day I bought it. Charge lasts for days (with lots of use), and I adore the free spinning scroll wheel when that kicks in. All that having been said, using it with my Mac I have no idea how much Windows would change the experience, or how well it works for intense online gaming. Or any online gaming. I'm not bitter.

12. c_norris

c_norris
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I've been using Logitech's V450 nano as my mouse for 4 months now. It is AWESOME. An absolute unwavering 5/5 recommendation. Got mine for $30 new, works flawlessly.

13. mastert

mastert
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

For a laptop, which is actually all I've used, Logitech's VX Revolution is still the best mouse I've used. The only problem with wireless mice is that they are FAR too easy to pick up and throw across the room in a fit of frustration.

14. Bob Trousers

Bob Trousers
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

On the subject of mice, I have a Microsoft Wireless Notebook Lasermouse 6000.

It's a great little mouse, but every so often it goes loopy and makes it so I have to spin the scroll wheel about 20 times just to move the page I'm viewing up or down by about a centimetre.

It's easily fixable-just unplug the dongle thingy and plug it back in-it's just annoying and I wondered if anyone knew how to stop it happenin?

15. sublime

sublime
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Ok, so I got the Pioneer DVR-XD09 USB 2.0 DVD/CD Writer as a Christmas present. How do I go about taking videos I download off the internet and putting them onto a blank DVD? Also, how do I take a DVD from Netflix and put it on a blank DVD?

16. imlkrsfn

imlkrsfn
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

If you're trying to play them on traditional DVD players, I would recommend ConvertXtoDVD. If your DVD player is more modern and supports xvid, divx, or others, open the dvd burner from My Computer, drag and drop the files, and click burn. You want to avoid the first method I described if possible as it will take 1-2? hours to convert and burn per DVD, and you can't fit as many movies/tv shows per DVD as the second method. I can explain it in a little more detail if necessary.

17. Bob Trousers

Bob Trousers
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Any ideas on how I can print wirelessly? It's from an hp Pavilion DV4000 to an hp PSC 2355 printer / scanner / copier. The laptop is wireless enabled, the printer is not. Is this possible?

I've tried the hp forums with no luck yet, and my google-fu has become weak.

Cheeeerrrrrrssssssss.

18. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    You answered your own question there - both the printer and laptop need to be wireless-capable for wireless printing to work.

So, no, you'll have to use either a USB cable or use the Parallel port on your laptop and corresponding cable.

19. Bob Trousers

Bob Trousers
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Ah. I was hoping there was some kind of wireless dongle doo-dad that I could plug into the printer-ne'er mind.

Cheers!

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

There is. Get an Apple Wireless Express. It's a small wireless device that you can rn a printer from. It's got a USB port in it and you can load printer drivers into it. I ran an hp large format printer in another room with it.