Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Penny Dreadful

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Crown Royal, May 25, 2014.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It really was THAT good. It flew by like a 6-minute skit.

2. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Did anyone else think that Dr Jekkyl's lab in this episode was completely stolen from The Princess Bride's "The Pit of Dispair"?

Edit: WHO THE FUCK ENDS AN EPISODE LIKE THAT

#62 Dcc001, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
  3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Brian Cox as Ethan's dad. They get one of the best actors there is for the part, you can't go wrong. Interesting turn of events in Ethan's backstory. Yeeeeeeesh.

Victor is acting really creepy and obsessed, like a guy who steals panties off a clothesline.

And yes, no one withstands...."The Machine".

4. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It definitely sheds a whole new light on why Ethan's father wanted him back so badly.

5. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

This show is better at the cliffhanger ending than GoT. Seriously the Ethan storyline deserves its own show.

6. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Haha, yep. I was shocked and yet not shocked. Sir Malcom already said earlier in the episode that Ethan's father reminded him of the way he was, and so this was clearly him metaphorically putting a bullet in his past self that fucked up his family.

RIP Inspector Rusk. Ultimately I couldn't root for him against Ethan, but I did respect his intent and his journey.

7. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also, pro tip to Vanessa: in the past when you've had sex, it has fucked shit up. You should actually probably be worried that this time it did NOT fuck shit up.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Did you know I didn't know Rusk had only one arm until the US Marshall asked him about it? I thought he just liked striking a match all cool and shit.

That wrapped up the Old West in a hurry. Rusk, the Marshall, Hecate and Ethan's Dad dead within minutes.

I wonder if Ms. Ives is pregnant. I've been picturing that to be the idea the whole time. Also, Lyle is setting up the plot involving the Mummy. He said Hes going to see the tomb of Imotep, that's the name used in the movies.

9. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I'm pretty sure the fact that he had one arm was part of his character from Day 1. I don't recall ever not knowing that he had only one arm.

I'm not sure where they're going with the West storyline now. Malcolm and Ethan and the native dude doing...something? I'm also a bit fuzzy on whether Ethan vitriolically hates that guy, or if he considers him a father figure. Like he legitimately wants him dead at the same time he's okay with having him be part of the pack.

10. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know for sure, but I think Ethan hates him and was only letting him play along at the end of it because he was useful.

As for what they are going to do next, I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to the previews for next week, but I thought I saw Ethan talking to Vanessa - so maybe they go back to London.

11. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

So...WTF happened with THIS episode?

First, I actually feel very bad for Lily and never thought I would be sympathetic to this character. They also did a very nice job juxtaposing the "bad" guy who accepts his "victim" exactly how she is and loves her for it, vs. the woman who's finally empowering herself and consequently needs to be reprogrammed.

All that being said...does that mean Vanessa just up and ran off with Dracula? Because there wasn't one single moment prior to her exposing her neck where she gave off even a remote feeling of, "Fuck it, I'm supposed to be on the dark side." She's very clever and brave, so why does she (apparently) trust what Dracula is offering her? I hope there's a twist coming, because that whole thing was totally out of character.

#71 Dcc001, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  12. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was pretty cray. I was totally like Dorian, bored af with Lily and her little army, but then Victor "can only think with his peen" Frankenstein literally proved her rage as valid.

It's hard to say about Vanessa. If she really was just giving in, the exposition wasn't done well - she didn't seem to be at a low enough point where such pretty words could break her. Didn't the other guy try something similar last season? Gave her a vision of a blissful life with Ethan and kids. She could definitely be planning something, though I'm not sure what it would be. That other chick claimed he could be easily killed in his human form - if she believes that and it is all she wants to do, then she would have just killed him. Maybe she doesn't quite believe it's that easy. She's certainly willing to walk right into the mouth of madness in order to get what she wants, so maybe she's letting him turn her with the hope that she can get out of it once she's done what she needs to do.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Ms. Ives could be playing Dracula, or not. She gave in to his brother in season one, on the other hand she and Malcolm have a score to settle, the "Master" is Dracula, who turned Mina in season one.

It's unreal the way they have turned around Clare's character. I liked the decisions he made this episode, he had some big moments in that episode. Nice that that make Ms. Ives remember him now, he went to the person he trusted and stopped fucking around with stalking and threats. And it worked, truly happy for once. So only one question remains: how soon will this be a horrid tragedy for him? I mean, come on... It sucks, but we know it going to happen. We still don't actually know how he died, do we?

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Two-hour season finale Sunday! Yessssss I'm going to work tired and miserable.

15. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it starts an hour early, so not too bad. All my shows are wrapping up at the same time. Archer is done, Orphan Black just finished last night.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Wait........what?

WHADDAYA MEAN "THE END"? WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED?!?!?!

17. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

18. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Welp, apparently that was really the end. There will be no season 4.

No. words.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I feel like a kid who was getting told he was going to Disney World and ended up at the dentist. That season was so great, and then.....the entire narrative destroyed with two words. The entire season except the funeral was shot as a season four and John Logan decided to end it. No justice for Dracula, nobody happy whatsoever, fuck you and die.

The End.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Huh??

...assholes, don’t think I forgot how you fucked up and forced the ending of the original. The statement is still right above this post.