Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

PC/Windows Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You can bypass the reservation process by just downloading the Windows Media Creation Tool and creating a bootable USB/DVD for it.

2. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For you people that are getting driver installs from Windows Update in version 10, you can turn that setting off.

You can either type in "Device Installation Settings" within Cortana, or go to Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Hardware tab > Device Installation Settings. From there, you can turn that shit off.

Other than that little annoyance, I haven't had any issues with Windows 10 so far, other than having issues with Teamviewer remoting in. Splashtop is working fine.

3. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just bumped up my Windows 8.1 tablet to Windows 10 this morning. I did a clean install, not an upgrade, because I had a bunch of junk on it that I wanted to clear out anyway.

Aside from missing large swaths of drivers (which is not that surprising considering it's an Atom processor tablet and not a standard desktop), it was easy. Downloaded the 8.1 drivers from the manufacturer site and installed them, and everything is golden.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I upgraded from Windows 7 on my laptop. I like it. There's some nitpicky stuff Im not digging, but overall its solid so far.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Thanks for the info... I'd read somewhere that if you do the bootable USB there wasn't an upgrade option. Apparently that was absurdly false, as I've just run the Media Creation Tool and the first option is "upgrade this computer or make bootable USB for multiple computers".

Upgraded the box, and all works well... took a bit for my multiple monitors to be detected and properly configured, and it seems like it spent a LONG time detecting devices and installing drivers, but all in all it's working well.

Not that it's really a big deal, mind you, as I dual boot with Ubuntu, and use Windows for games and the occasional fucking around with .NET and Visual Studio.

All in all, everything went well and it seems pretty responsive.

6. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One interesting thing I discovered, if you install a "lesser" edition of Windows 10 (e.g. Home), but put in a Professional or higher serial number, it just asks you if you'd like to upgrade, and 10 minutes later you've got whatever edition you put the serial number in for. Nice.

7. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That is pretty dam nice.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Aaaaand Windows 10 has totally fucked up my dual boot system... my Ubuntu partition is totally fucked. I have no idea why.

Fucking Microsoft... never wanting to play well with others.

9. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does this really surprise you of all people?

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Actually, yes. I totally get that the Windows boot manager will overwrite grub, but it did that AND it deleted my whole fucking ext2 partition.

And then the USB live boot started to throw a DRM/chipset error so it wouldn't even boot that, and then I decided to give up for the night and start drinking.

11. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    ....and attempt #3 of installing 8.1 just failed at 51% of preparing to install.

Can I punch Microsoft through my phone?

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yesterday this started happening. It only happens in IE, not in Firefox. And, it happens on my desktop PC (Windows 7, IE 11) and my laptop (Windows 8):

Google home page. I type words in the search box, and it begins to auto suggest various things like normal. But, once I finish, if I click on the search icon or hit enter, nothing happens. I can click home and try it again, and sometimes it'll work and return search results, and sometimes, nothing. It's not slow and taking awhile - just, no response.

Everything else works normally, I have scanned and rescanned for Malware, I have cleared cache, history, etc. I have rebooted, and powered on/off.

I Googled it (IRONY ALERT) and there seems to be about 800 different options of things that I need to check, none of which make sense to me. (Some, technically, some of the "well I didn't change anything" variety.) The curious thing is that this started yesterday on both computers. One is at my office and one is at home and they don't share anything at all - besides me typing on them OH MY GOD IS THE VIRUS IN MY FINGERS?!

Anybody else having this problem or know what simple thing I should check first?

13. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Weirdly enough on my work computer that is windows 7 with ie 11 this started a few days ago for me.

14. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I use Chrome exclusively but have you checked to see if the page might not be loading fully before you start typing? If you go to the Google homepage and wait a good long time (10-15 seconds) before clicking or typing, does it work reliably? Not that you'd want to wait 10-15 seconds every time, but that might help identify that the homepage is just loading slowly and all the background javascripts etc. haven't fully loaded up.

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, that appears to be the case. If I open my home page (Google) and quickly type and hit enter = nothing. If I do the same, but wait 10-15 seconds = success.

How does that happen all of a sudden? Also, that is useless, so of course I'll be done with IE if it stays that way. What is there to load when it's just a blank Google page (I never stay signed in), and why can't I get an hourglass or circle so I know when it's done? I have a cable ISP at my office and it's pretty fast, and until yesterday, I never had a problem. What do you think changed?

16. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

With mine, no matter how long I wait, nothing comes up.

17. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sounds like IE is choking on one of the scripts that Google is using, just taking a few extra seconds to load it. It's hard to say what's changed - a browser update could have reduced performance on an existing script, or, more likely, Google updated something that certain versions/patch levels of IE doesn't like.

There's a surprising amount behind that page given how simple/tiny it is. They have to load a bunch of scripts in order to launch your experience of having auto-complete and instant results.

FWIW, on my two machines with IE 11, I can't replicate this. No matter how fast I refresh and start typing it works properly. Check Windows Update and see if there are any patches/updates maybe?

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Boy. I know less than nothing about how computers work, I am finding.

In my "about" box for IE 11, the "install new versions automatically" box is checked, so I think I have the latest version? 11.0.15

I disabled javascript, and that does indeed, seem to make the search work, no problem. A couple other things:
    - when I disable the javascript, the top of the Google page goes back to the old way I used to see it, with the black menu bar running across that reads: Google+ Images Search Maps, etc. Is there a script that hides that bar? That seems goofy. Because I used to love that bar. Instead of having to type something in the box, and then click "images" or "maps", I could get it in one click. I miss that bar.
    - if I use InPrivate Browsing, even with javascript enabled, the searches work fine

I have no idea what I'm doing and thank you for the suggestions.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Private browsing basically ignores all of your cached session data (cookies) from other/previous sessions, and doesn't allow new cookies and private data from persisting.

This sounds like you have a corrupted cache file for Google data, or something similar.

I'd recommend clearing your cache and restarting IE and see if that fixes it for you.

20. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

IE updates are controlled through Windows Update. You can check Windows Update in the start menu for updates.

Okay, so that basically confirms that IE is choking on a javascript file and not on Google's website. But I think we could already assume that.

The bar still exists. When you have Javascript enabled, there's a 3x3 grid of dots in the upper right - click that and the stuff is accessible there.

Are you usually logged into your Google account? It might be a script that's run when you're logged in that's causing it. If you're usually logged in, log out, clear your cache, and see if your Google search is back to normal.