Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Party Down

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by stcardsfan, May 9, 2010.

1. stcardsfan

stcardsfan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Does anyone watch this? The second season just started a couple of weeks ago. It took me a couple of episodes to get into the first season, but I really like the vibe of the show. It's about aspiring actors who are working at a catering business to pay the bills in between auditions. The American Film Institute named it one of the ten best shows of 2009.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_Down" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_Down</a>

2. upgrayedd

upgrayedd
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I watch it. I went and got the first season about a week ago to catch up on it before I started on Season 2. It's pretty funny and is really growing on me. For people who wondering more about it, the Apatow comedic style is pretty obvious in it. I think Paul Rudd is even a producer on the show. I would suggest you all start watching this immediatly.

3. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love Ken Marino. He plays such a great dirtbag. Martin Star is always great, but he always plays the same character. Lizzie Caplan. Yes please. Megan Mullaly is a great addition to the show, though I did hear something about Jane Lynch coming back for at least one episode this season.

4. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

After hearing about this show on this board somewhere (Netflix instant gems thread?) I took advantage of one of my insomnia nights to watch the entire first season and first two episodes of season 2 on Netflix. Great show, I love the humor. There's not a whole lot else to say, it's not a very "deep" type of show. Just good comedy.

5. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Great comedy. I love that members of the Upright Citizens Brigade and The State are on the show.

I'm watching this show religiously now and am current with season two. If you're just getting into the show I recommend watching at least the first 5 episodes because the show gets exponentially better about halfway through the first season.

Lizzie Kaplan keeps getting hotter and hotter for some reason, almost to the point of being a distraction.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Agreed. I've become a huge fan of this show now, after getting through the first few episodes that seemed to be a bit off.

Highly recommend it.

7. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The guest appearances are one of my favorite things about the show.

When the fuck did Steve Guttenberg get fucking RIPPED? Jesus. It's a little unnerving.

This show has made it onto my must watch list each week.

8. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Uuhhm am I missing something? I saw your guys posts so I figured I would check it out On Demand. The first episode I saw was with them catering to a movie producer who was throwing a super expensive sweet 16 party for his daughter.

It was fucking terrible. I say fucking because the character (Verne Shillinger from Oz) cursed unnecessarily the whole episode. They then had this awful scene when the head of the catering crew got high from second hand smoke. As an old former pot head nothing annoys me more than when they exaggerate weed scenes or make people act like complete retards when they are stoned especially from second hand pot smoke. So of course he becomes a complete idiot forgets everything and does nothing but sit and eat cheese puffs. (Guy I can't believe this didn't annoy you completely) Look people do dumb stuff when their high but cmon.

Then of course the "beat to death story line about a wanna be actor" I was so shocked when he didn't get the part as Young Lincoln! The over sensitive teeth part, ridiculous. Any red blooded american kid is banging a hot cougar even if his teeth are sore.

The real geeky guy trying to dance with the high school girl was the only thing that made me grin.

I don't want to totally hate on the show, they have some good actors and Paul Rudd is one of the producers so I thought it might be ok. Was this just a lousy episode, does it get much better??

It felt incredibly forced to me.

9. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You picked the worst episode to watch.

You kind of need to watch from the beginning to get the interaction between the characters. Watch the first two episodes from season one and see if it grabs you.

10. Uno

Uno
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I've watched it from the start, and agree with everything that guy said. I still have to watch it since my roommate loves it.

This is one of the most unfunny shows I have seen. The characters are forced and boring, which is surprising considering the actors & actresses that play them.

I however, am one of the 0.01% of people that didn't really enjoy Arrested Development either, so maybe my sense of humor is off.

11. fourtytwo

fourtytwo
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

This show was just officially cancelled. Probably for the best, considering how the cast is breaking up. Still, it's too bad because the 4 or 5 episodes of the second season were getting really, really funny.

12. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Shitty.

I really like it and it just seemed to be starting to get on a roll. I do understand why the show didn't take off as none of the friends I introduced to it watch it religiously.

13. Zazz

Zazz
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

That sucks it got cancelled. Favorite line of the show has to be from Roman, while talking to the community theater thespians: "Wow, you were all magnificent. Statistically, magificent is average. Congratulations! You're all average."

14. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's sad to see another original, witty, well acted show bite the dust. I guess it's because Adam Scott is going to Parks and Rec full time. Do they even shoot on a similar schedule? He couldn't have continued to do both?

15. upgrayedd

upgrayedd
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I had read somewhere that he would only be available to shoot 3 episodes for next season if it had gone on.