Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Pandora and her skanky box.

Discussion in 'All-Star Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 25, 2009.

?

H1N1

1. It killed me.

11 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Have it now, you fucking asshole. Kill me now.

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  3. Have it now, meh, just makes me tired.

4 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. Had it, and it was hell.

8 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. Had it, wasn't that bad.

25 vote(s)
    9.8%
  6. Most people that I know that said they had it, didn't.

60 vote(s)
    23.5%
  7. I'm going to get immunized.

32 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. I'm NOT going to get immunized.

188 vote(s)
    73.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm just recovering from the swine flu. Or H1N1, if you will. Hell, I just call it Swine, because we're tight like that.

It knocked me down for about 5 days (2 weeks ago), and it wasn't until I went to my doc to get checked out a few days later that I found out. I just thought I had the plain old standard flu.

Oh well...

There's a lot of shit out there in the media right now about H1N1; it's a pandemic, it's not a pandemic, get vaccinated, vaccinations will kill you, yada yada yada.

The one thing I do know for a fact is that the circus that is called the Media has latched onto it like a snatch fish, and are looking for any and every strange and sensational story associated with it to boost their ratings.

Case in point:

Even the so-called professionals are arguing over what to do about it. It's hard to know who to listen to.

FOCUS: What are your thoughts about H1N1? Are you going to get immunized? If so, why? If not, why not?

Alternate FOCUS: Link the funniest and craziest H1N1 stories that are out there.

PROFESSIONAL FOCUS: If you're an expert in the subject matter, speak up... I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please supply your e-credentials when doing so. Specifically, what are YOU planning to do about it yourself?

NO POLITICS.

#1 Nettdata, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I personally think that its a next generation terrorist plot to exterminate us westerners. What do we have that they don't? (other than you know, freedom and shaved punani) Pork! First they're going to give us all Bacon Aids then they'll turn their attention to the Jews. Mark my words infidels.

Back to the un-xenophobic focus: Don't have it, hope I don't get, but if I do... I hope I can at least lose a couple pounds in the process. I've heard that the only difference between regular flu and swine flu is that its especially hard on pregnant chicks and kids. Is this true, or did the talking heads lie to me again?

3. travdiddy84

travdiddy84
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I've known several people who claim to have had it, as well as a few friends of friends living in Oxford going to Miami of Ohio who may or may not have died from it (officials are apparently arguing the causes of death). I voted no, I'm not getting vaccinated, but really it depends on several things. One of my best friends just got vaccinated on Friday. If he does well with it, along with other people I know, we'll see what happens. Otherwise, there's no way I'm even thinking about it. Any uncertainty among doctors = bad news to me.

4. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I fly weekly for work and I haven't had it and don't plan on getting immunized for it.

I admit that I wash my hands more frequently when in the airports now and that I try to incinerate people with my eyes when they're hacking in the security line or at the gate.

Half of my facebook friends have claimed to have it every time they sniffle and frankly I'm sick of hearing about this fucking germ already.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I work in an office where a large number of people fly to Singapore, Hong Kong, London, and Taiwan on a regular basis, almost weekly.

A few of them picked up something in their travels, and proceeded to come in to the office for 2-3 days while sicker than dogs... giving it to a bunch of us.

Seeing as we're all tightly packed into cube farms, it was inevitable that more than a few of us were going to get something as well.

I really wish people would have more respect for the others in the office and not come in when they're sick. Yes, we get it... you're tough and showing your loyalty to The Company by coming in rather than calling in sick, but you've seriously fucked over the rest of us.

6. Jubes2681

Jubes2681
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I work at the University of Rhode Island and so far there have only been a handful of confirmed cases. The school stepped it up with the alcohol-based handsanitizer all around campus and students have been told by every teacher to stay out of class if they're sick at all. It seems to be working, which is great.

I'm not going to get immunized. I never get the flu vaccine because I feel like it's meant for the elderly and very young, since the flu can be a serious health risk for them. If I still lived in a dorm, maybe I would get it since we don't have herd immunity, yadda yadda. I've never had the flu *knocking on wood like crazy* so I'm not really worried about it.

I've had a two bad colds this year already, so maybe it was the swine flu one of those times since it's supposed to be a mild flu. I don't know - I just watched movies, drank OJ and slept on my couch instead of dragging myself to the campus doctor an hour away from me.

7. Costello

Costello
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Alt focus: Everyone likes a good conspiracy, right? Great, so here's England's resident nutjob-in-chief David Icke informing your ass about the secret plot to cull the world's population with the vaccine. Ooh.

8. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My university has implemented a policy wherein you are to stay away from exams/labs/classes/etc if you have flu-like illnesses, and you don't even need to submit a doctor's note. That's right. Unprepared for your exam? "Gee, I had the sniffles and didn't want to get everyone else sick." Madness, I tell you. Of course, the make-up exam structures are always such that they strongly discourage anyone missing exams. One course I have, which is heavily math-based, has a god damned oral exam as its make-up.

As for getting the vaccine, I'm leaning against not taking it. Weird, seeing as I'm a pharmacy student and have had more than a few lecturers tell us to get the vaccine. I think there are people who need it more than me right now given the low number of vaccines available. If it develops into a larger problem and more vaccines are distributed, I'll look into it, although presumably I will get H1N1 well before I have time to look into the vaccine. I was given a good 5-6 vaccines over the course of the summer (included the dreaded MMR, take that Jenny McCarthy), and I don't have autism or any dyskinesias yet, so I'm more or less good to go.

This reminds me that I need to follow up with the second step of my Hep A vaccine soon.

P.S. for those of you who want to appear more savvy in front of your friends, hospital folk have taken to calling H1N1 "high-nigh". As though the 1s were Is.

9. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In the UK, they advise against going to the doctor's. Because you might give it to everyone.

So they diagnose it over the phone. They ask you, "Do you have _______? Yes or no." And so on. If you hit a certain number of symptoms, they treat you as if you have swine flu, with crappy medicine that doesn't do much.

So they didn't do anything I hadn't already done on WebMD.

My symptoms had already peaked by the time I thought of calling them. So by the time I had any meds or anything, i was already getting better.

Still meant I got quarantined. In a 10 x 10 dorm room. With no kitchen access.

It wasn't entirely unlike jail. Less buttsex, though.

10. Roboto

Roboto
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I got the regular flu vaccine last year, and of course I got the flu anyways (albeit a mild case). So I figure, why waste $25 or more on something that might not even work? Is the swine flu vaccine any more effective than the regular one?

11. Creelmania

Creelmania
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm probably going to end up getting the vaccine, but that's mainly due to the fact that my mom is a public health nurse and gives us flu shots every year.

Whether they had swine flu or just plain seasonal flu, there have been way more people sick with the flu this year than in recent memory. I'm just viewing this as a stronger, slightly more lethal strain of the plain ol' flu.

Sidenote: One friend had something about getting swine flu as her Facebook status, so I said that she shouldn't be eating so much bacon. She replied, saying she didn't even eat that much. At first I was amazed that someone couldn't get that joke, but then remembered her reaction to the Michael Jackson-food poisoning joke (He died from eating 12 year old nuts) was "What an idiot, how can you not tell food is that old?"

12. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, if I can delve into the professional focus on this thread, I'd like to point out what's wrong with this post. It's nothing personal.

The seasonal flu vaccine is made using a best guess on which influenza viruses are going to be making the rounds each season. The guess is made early, and it can be wrong. This means that, in simpler terms, you weren't vaccinated against the right viruses last year. Influenza viruses mutate fast and often, which is why different vaccines are made every year. The H1N1 vaccine is made specifically for the H1N1 virus, and short of you being seriously immunocompromised, your body will produce anti-H1N1 antibodies to the injection of viral antigen.

13. oswald999

oswald999
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I don't want to get immunized, at all. I think the whole thing is fucking stupid.

However, I'm in the military and I'm pretty sure they're going to force me to. I am not pleased.

14. Kerbunked

Kerbunked
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

15. Nat

Nat
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I just got the seasonal flu shot on friday and I plan on getting the H1N1 shot as soon as it becomes available. I was never vaccinated previously for the flu, but since I am around people who are at risk for complications, I got one this year so I wouldn't make other people sick. I am specifically getting the H1N1 shot because my sister is pregnant and has diabetes. I have no problems taking either vaccine because they are both killed vaccines. I figure that even if they do not fully protect because of strain mutations that at least some protection is better than none.

16. Cope

Cope
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I am not planning on getting vaccinated, as I have become convinced that the vaccine secretly contains the T-virus and the zombie apocalypse is at hand.

I never get the seasonal flu shot either. What really annoys me about all the swine flu is how if you get sick, people immediately assume you have the damn flu. A few weeks ago I had just a common cold, friends of mine were avoiding me like I was Typhoid Mary, thinking I was going to kill them with the power of pig.

17. cultex

cultex
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I haven't gotten a flu shot or the flu in the last 5 years or so. I hope H1N1 tries to start shit with me. It has no idea what it's going up against.

In all seriousness, I just don't trust the powers that be to give me a safe vaccine that isn't going to chemically sterilize me in 5 years. No thanks.

18. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Same here. Doesn't help that every time I called they were apparently after hours. What kind of university health service closes shop at 4 pm? I had to go to the hospital and even they didn't do anything, just kept me waiting for three hours while assorted "respected community members" whined and bitched about their hip pain.

In short, fuck our university's healthcare.

19. minny47

minny47
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I got the swine flu vaccine, and I'll make the argument that anyone under the age of 30 (or anyone who is pregnant) should get it as it becomes available. I have never in my life gotten a seasonal flu shot because I'm not old or immunocompromised, so even if I do get the seasonal flu, it's never a big deal. But the people that are at the greatest risk of contracting and dying from H1N1 are healthy children and young adults--it's killing them at a completely disproportionate rate, and that's why they're the priority when it comes to vaccines.

Ya, the symptoms (fever, sore throat, cough) sound stupid and totally manageable- nothing to get worried about. And I'm sure a ton of people will contract H1N1 and make full recoveries. But all that numbers (theres a JAMA report about incidence in Canada that's available online and another report out of Mexico that came out a few weeks ago) show that it's killing young, otherwise healthy people- and the most important part is that no one really seems to know why. The vaccine was free and really convenient to get, but even if it hadn't been I would still have figured out how to get one.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I seem to remember reading that H1N1 was causing a huge, almost over-reaction, in healthy immune systems, and that was causing the deaths. So it was almost like their immune system was working too well, and the response was enough to kill the person.

(I could be totally talking out of my ass on that though (I'm not an expert in the field), so if I am, let me know and I'll remove this post.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.