Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Paleo cooking/lifestyle thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Frank, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

can't believe this hasn't come up yet, but what books have people bought? I have Cordain's paleo diet cookbook, which has good simple recipes you can bust out all the time. I just replace his chuck roast recommendation with grass fed brisket since they're the same price.

We also have paleo comfort foods which is a little loosey goosey with some of their recipes but very good overall. I like the fact that while they try to recapture comfort foods they don't try to mimick them in a half ass way, they all have their own flavor.

2. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I've mentioned it before, but Mark Sisson's Quick and Easy Meals is PHENOMENAL.

I've never used a cookbook as much as I've used this one, and as consistenly. I made three recipes from it tonight alone:

Chicken, Artichoke and Mushroom Casserole
    Pizza Fritata
    Berry "Pancake"

3. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

DCC (any others who are already in process) - since I am a week away from starting thewhole30, I have been doing a bit of research on it. Did you purchase The Whole30 Success guide? I am trying to decide if it is a tool I need or if I can muddle through just by information I can find on The Whole9 website and forums. Is it worth it?

4. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I'm just going to do the bullet point stuff...I can't imagine the Success Guide has anything more than common sense info in it.

Famous last words, I guess.

5. DannyMac

DannyMac
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I think we will buy it. I don't mind sending it out to others so that multiple of us don't have to pay $40 for it.

I just joined their new forum. It won't be too hard to figure out who I am (they require real names to post.)

6. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just wanted to share one last thing I've come across.

Breakfast doesn't have to be typical. I see A LOT of people complain that all they can have for breakfast is eggs of some kind...blah blah blah.
    You are eating primarily meat and veggies. You can make a steak salad for breakfast. You can have pork chops with apples for breakfast. You can eat shrimp kabobs for breakfast.
    Don't pigeon hole yourself into having the mindset that breakfast can't include a T-bone. Don't worry about eating a "hearty" meal for breakfast and feeling sluggish all day. You aren't eating sugar and carbs like a typical breakfast so you won't have those same feelings of sluggishness.

7. DannyMac

DannyMac
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I get most of my fruit consumption for the day at breakfast, but I also throw in spinach, eggs, and egg whites into my coconut milk smoothie. I never feel sluggish afterwards and that really sticks with me until lunch as well.

8. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I don't know if this is THE guide, but it is A whole30 guide that I stumbled across:

<a class="postlink" href="http://paleoperiodical.com/2011/11/04/your-whole30-survival-guide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://paleoperiodical.com/2011/11/04/y ... val-guide/</a>

9. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can someone point me to a good smoothie recipe? Alot of the ones I see end up coming out green cause they are alot of kale, spinach, and chard. I eat spinach cause its good for me, but I don't care much for it and I can't see myself liking the taste of one of those beasts.

10. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

These are good. If you want to stay true paleo nix the dairy in the ones that call for it. I can personally vouch for the chocolate almond and the blueberry kale shakes.

11. Trickysista

Trickysista
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I really want to start eating Paleo, but I'm nervous about giving up my morning cereal. Usually, I eat a Special K bar, have my morning juice and take some dry cereal to work with me. I know Dcc001 said that you make a frittata on Sunday and eat that throughout the week, which is a great idea, but does anyone have suggestions on what I can drink to replace my morning juice? I like to maximize the amount of sleep I get in the morning, so I don't see myself getting up earlier just to make a smoothie. Are smoothies still good if I made it the night before?

12. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It is a good idea. Personally I got bored with it though, if you find it hard to stick with just switch to another paleo breakfast. Bacon and eggs is great, leftover hard boiled eggs and kale chips are good too.

It took some effort, but I was able to ween myself and the GF off of milk with breakfast and just have straight up water. If that sounds horrible to you, maybe some coconut milk or coconut water would work as a start. You could also probably just squeeze your own fruit juice, just understand that it may interfere with weight loss goals (more because of the hormonal response than the calories) if you have them.

Yes, my girlfriend makes smoothies the night before and has them as lunch. Personally I don't like the idea of a liquid meal like that, but it works for her.

13. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

You can also add all the ingredients to a blender the night before, chuck it in the fridge, and wait until you're walking out the door to blend it. I find smoothies change a bit if they've been left to sit too long.

14. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, that's actually a really fucking good idea. Kind of surprised I never thought of that. My girlfriend actually likes them more when they've had time to sit because they're thicker, but I like them more liquid.

15. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll start the whole30 on Monday with DCC, and Mya (hope I'm not butting in). I'm planning to use the weekend as a mini-mardi gras and binge drink myself into a beautiful oblivion on Saturday. I haven't gone 30 days without alcohol since I was 13 so I'm looking forward to whatever results the program can produce. I'm pretty well stocked on supplies so I'm planning to do whatever last minute shopping is needed on Sunday, and a lot of cooking. I haven't totally settled on a rigid diet I'm following yet. I've just loaded up on all the foods permitted by the more hardcore versions of the paleo diet.

16. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah - another joiner! T - 4 days. I will be joining Kampf in a binge this weekend as well, then hit Whole Foods on Sunday and find a way to give up my beloved artificial sweeteners, beloved cream, beloved wine, and beloved scale for a full 30 days.

17. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not sure how long you soon to be bingers have been gluten free, but if you plan on including gluten this weekend be ready for the pain train at the end of it. I can eat ice cream and sugar till I puke, but even a piece of bread usually triggers flu like symptoms.

18. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Psshhh, that bread would just take up valuable real estate that could be occupied by wine. Any "flu like" symptoms will be earned in other ways.

19. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Question for you folks....

Mark Sisson highly recommends exposure to sun. I have to agree; the year I spent virtually 12 hours per day in the sun I was extremely healthy and never burned (this is closer to the equator than we are here in Winnipeg).

My problem now is that I'm much farther north, there is less sun available (both in terms of quantity of daylight hours, and in terms of the sun's strength - unless it's high summer, then it's all reversed). So my question is: Is tanning at a salon healthy?

It seems most medical sources say no, or are undecided. But then again, I think the scientific community is biased against sunlight. Thoughts?

20. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Speaking of which, I never really got hangovers to begin with, but I was usually lethargic and cloudy the day after a drinking binge. Now I feel fine the morning after pounding booze. Not sure if that's a result of a lower inflammation diet or the fact that my tolerance plummeted when I took grains out so I drink less.

Pretty much everyone that eats paleo recommends sun exposure. My off the cuff answer would be to supplement with Vitamin D (I'd recommend looking at whatever Robb Wolf suggests) over a tanning salon. Quick thing though, most people can get away with less sun than you might think. You don't have to be out for hours at a time, I've heard just something like 20 minutes in the sun is good enough if you're white.