Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Paleo cooking/lifestyle thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Frank, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not a paleo documentary, but this is a solid look at just how silly the anti-saturated fat movement has been, plus a look at why statins are pretty shitty. I also really like how they went over the Mediterranean diet thing, most poeple still argue that that's the best way to eat.

#461 Frank, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just when I think we're starting to turn the corner, I see bullshit like this.

Spoilered for size.

[​IMG]

For the love of... How the fuck is margarine STILL being pushed as healthier than butter? I thought we all agreed trans fats were worse than saturated.

3. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not sure if anybody is still even on that would read this thread, but if there is I wanted to see if anyone has tried doing any experimenting with resistant starch? It's seemingly becoming the new "thing" for people to try out with varying results. It seems like the easiest/cheapest way is to take a couple of tablespoons of raw, unmodified potato starch in a glass of water every day.

The thought behind it is that since your body can't digest the starch itself, it passes into the intestines and colon to feed all the bacteria and help them thrive. I know Mark Sisson of Mark's Daily Apple just did a post on it recently, but was looking to see if anyone has any firsthand experience.

4. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven't messed with it myself but a lot of people have been doing great with it. One tip though, on Robb Wolf's podcast Chris Kresser said you should start small and work your way up.

5. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So about a week in and I can't definitely say whether or not I'm having any actual effects yet, good or bad. I haven't had any of the excess gas or intestinal issues people often complain about, but I'm also only taking a 2tbsp dose/day. I've still got quite a bit left, so I'll keep going at this route until I run out and see if maybe something changes.

6. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Has anyone had a rough start to drinking kefir? I stopped drinking milk about 9 months ago, but still do yogurt from time to time and some cheese, so its not like I'm completely weaned off dairy. But I started trying to drink kefir last week, about half a glass mixed into a protein shake, and it tore me up. I don't know if it was just a coincidental situation cause I didn't drink any over the weekend cause I was at a wedding, but I was still unsettled. I read there may be an adjustment period as your gut bacteria reconfigures, but I didn't know if its something I should expect to go away, or if it's gonna be an issue.

7. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No, I took to it pretty quickly.

8. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

So gluten-free brethren, any thoughts on this?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.businessinsider.com/gluten-sensitivity-and-study-replication-2014-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.businessinsider.com/gluten-s ... ion-2014-5</a>

I think FreeCorps posted this a week or so ago on another thread, but its come up on my browser again and I figured I'd see what everyone else thought. Personally, the whole reason I started the Paleo diet back in December of 2012(Christ that seems like forever ago) was to help with my back pain (from surgery) and it has helped in that regard. Unless this was all some enormous placebo effect.

9. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That speaks specifically to gluten-free though. Thats not to say reducing carb intake or less processed foods in your diet isn't beneficial. Mind you, alot of gluten free people aren't anywhere close to paleo. The merits of paleo are still up for debate, but I don't think this has any bearing on that.

The whole takeaway from this, for me, is just listen to your body and cut with the "i have this intolerance" or pseudo-scientific bullshit. If you feel better when you eat less carbs, great, then do that, but dont prescribe it to some non-existing condition.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

My sister is one of the worst offenders I know... she has serious issues with just about any food, and will only take advice from her homeopath.

Case in point, she was having a serious skin reaction (as in 1/2 of her body was covered in red welts and she was forced to stay home from work for 2 weeks), and her homeopath gave her an oatmeal lotion and soap to help "cleanse" her.

After 10 days of having just about all of her skin be painful to the touch she went to a dermatologist who ran some skin prick tests for allergies, and yep, major reaction to oats and oatmeal.

Listen to scientists, people... keep the healing magnets and crystals in the fairy tales where they belong.

11. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, pretty much this, I think paleo is just about the best damn starting template for someone that has issues from back pain to seasonal allergies etc... but we are still all individuals with individual needs, you don't need to fit your choices under some sort of umbrella, eat what works for you, ditch what doesn't and keep tinkering to fine tune that.

That said the whole "only ____% of people are celiac/gluten insensitive" etc in these recent articles is kind of a BS argument and assumes that the current tests we have today are both comprehensive and error free, something that we have no way of knowing. I just don't understand why trying a gluten free and/or paleo approach and seeing if you feel better has people so up in arms. Are there people that are going to give this a shot and fall for gimmicks? Of course, but does that mean we throw the baby out with the bath water and only recommend it for people who have been diagnosed despite the fact so many others have seen success with it?

Also, I think Robb Wolf (as always) did a good job tackling the issue. <a class="postlink" href="http://robbwolf.com/2014/05/16/gluten-intolerance-exist/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://robbwolf.com/2014/05/16/gluten-i ... nce-exist/</a>

12. AlexWolfe

AlexWolfe
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I've been working on getting back into paleo more, thought I would share my favorite green shake recipe for those with vita-mix/blendtec setups. I adapted it to cut kale out once I found out raw kale had a lot of oxalates, which aren't supposed to be good for you. Not sure if it's true, I just subbed different leafy greens in. It tastes like a pina colada!

INGREDIENTS

4 stalks celery
    1 cucumber
    One bunch Italian Parsley, leaves only (I save the stems for stock)
    One bunch Cilantro (same as parsley, but I toss the stems).
    A hunk of Ginger root
    The juice of one lemon
    Several leaves of mint
    Coconut Water
    Coconut Oil
    One Avocado
    Chunks of frozen pineapple
    A decent three-finger pinch of high-quality salt (himalayan or sea salt or something)

I dislike a lot of green shakes based on their texture -- the avocado and coconut oil are not only healthy, they ensure the shake becomes emulsified into a nice, cohesive drink. It should be stable for at least several hours (or more) if you want to take it to work or something.

The only "trick" is to make sure that you keep the smoothie nice and cold while it's blending, which is why I use frozen pineapple instead of fresh. If you use fresh pineapple, you need to throw in ice cubes to keep the temperature down (otherwise it doesn't get blended enough and it's not smooth). Plus, of all the items in there, fresh pineapple has the most prep time. So fuck it.