Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Overrated bands everyone loves but I HATE

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Juice, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeCoolBitch_BeCool

BeCoolBitch_BeCool
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'll throw my hat into the fuck AC/DC: ring. It might be because I was born way after they're peak, but they've always just sounded like a slightly ballsier Journey. I blame the boring drummer.

I tend to group together The Mars Volta, Radiohead, and TV on the Radio into the same group of "just because it's unique doesn't mean it's good." I really enjoy Omar Lopez and Johnny Greenwood's side projects (I'm pretty sure it was Greenwood that did the soundtrack to There Will Be Blood). I was even a fan of At the Drive-In. But I have a very low tolerance for electronica, especially when it's being mixed into my rock and roll.

On the other hand, I'm a die-hard Incubus fan so feel free not to listen to my opinion.

2. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A lot of times I try to branch out my musical interests, and I use some of the musical threads here to do that. Several of these links have lead me to DJs. I have never found one I liked. I don't understand how any of you tools could enjoy this shit. Especially the live shows. Some guy in a mouse hat comes out, presses play on a laptop, and jumps around. I just don't get it. He didn't do jack shit. Why are you all so amazed? The shit that comes out of his speakers could have been produced by a 12 year old that can play base guitar. Maybe I should have discovered this shit when I used drugs.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Im sure a fan could come on here and explain how he crafts and produces the songs and does more than just hit play on a MacBook Pro. But I agree, the music all sounds like the same techno beat to me, what ever sub genre of techno/dubstep it is.

4. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh man, I just thought of another one that I can't stand. Fucking Bon Jovi. Acid wash, mullet, white trash bullshit and I feel like I can't go to a bar, especially on a karaoke night, without hearing Living on a prayer. Gag me with a spoon.

I think someone else mentioned this earlier, but another one that I can't help but mention is Lynyrd Skynyrd. This one isn't really a "I hate them" thing, they have a lot of good songs and I understand why they are popular. It's just that in the almost 28 years I've been alive I have heard Sweet Home Alabama so many times that I just cannot listen to it anymore. Same with Freebird.

5. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I find it hilarious you posted in the weekend drunk thread about how much you enjoyed Limp Bizkit...

6. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Posting the Stones in this thread must be a generational thing. Yeah, they're old (hell, they were old the last time I saw them on the Steel Wheels tour in the late 80s, but they still rocked), but their music is enduring. Give "Exile on Main St." a listen or two again.

7. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I once expended a few moments of my valuable time to try and figure out why i can't stand this wildly successful artist. Saying that he can't sing isn't much of an argument - many musicians, although their style may be appealing, lack actual singing talent. Bruce Springsteen, Kurt Cobain, Mick Jagger, to name a few mentioned here, have little pure singing talent, but have a distinctive style that many like.

My disdain for DM is related to the style of his music - it all seems to sound very similar. I get the impression that if I listen to one song, it could be from any album at any point in his career. I wouldn't mind as much if I found his music at all compelling, but it is almost boring, trickling along - not offensive or grating, but bland and pointless.

I'll try a little experiment. Here, I'll play one of his songs off of itunes while I type.

Hey, this isn't so bad. It's even kind of . . . . . .zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Then my work here is done.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I coulda sworn I made the Focus about Bands we think are overrated and not I'm butthurt you don't like a band I like so let me convince you why you should.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Attached Files:

11. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think a lot of the hate towards DMB is rooted in how much their fans rave about how innovative and brilliant their music is, which it isn't. They just commercialized the jam band formula that bands like Grateful Dead and Phish helped to innovate. Now, there's nothing wrong with starting off and not being all that unoriginal. All great bands started off copying someone else's sound and then eventually developing their own distinctive sound. Rush, probably my favorite band, is a good example. Their first three albums have some pretty good music, Fly By Night especially, by they were, at that point (and by their own admission) basically a Led Zeppelin tribute act. But over time they eventually evolved and matured their sound and experimenting with new forms and styles. And the same could be said for the Stones, The Beatles, and The Who, (and a lot of other bands in that era) borrowed heavily from American blues rock. The things is, DMB started off fine but never really bothered breaking out and really trying anything significantly different.

To me, AC/DC is basically the hard rock equivalent of ABBA. Plenty of catchy tunes, but would their absence from the rock and roll scene really have that much of an impact? I don't think so. The Who and The Rolling Stones had pretty much blazed the hard rock trail already. Sure Back in Black is one of the highest selling albums of all time, but so are at least a couple Eagles albums. And of course, no one with any genuine music taste likes the Eagles.

#51 bebop007, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  12. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I fully expect to get crucified on this board for this, but Metallica. Everyone I know reacts the same way when I tell them this: "You hate Metallica? What the fuck is wrong with you? They're like, the greatest band ever!"

Except they're not. They were one of the most influential metal bands ever? Cool. Incredibly popular? Sure. That doesn't change the fact that two minutes of their music makes me want to grab a Metallica CD and break it into shards with which I can cut off my ears.

13. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Really depends on what era you are talking about here. 80's Metallica is one of the greatest, most amazing bands I have ever heard. For 90's and later Metallica, I partially agree with you.

14. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is actually a really good point, and I'll agree with you on it. KIMaster repped me giving me shit about defending DMB and bashing The Beatles in the same post. The point I was trying to make is that while I completely agree that The Beatles were very talented and arguably one of the most influential groups in Rock and Roll history, I just don't care for their music. Conversely, since I really enjoy the whole "Jam Band" genre I really like DMB even though they aren't necessarily brilliant or innovative or influential in any way. I defend them because while they aren't any of those things, they are still extremely talented musicians and even if you don't necessarily like their stuff, I don't think it's justified to say that their music is crap.

15. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I don't think their music is crap but they def aren't my thing. I've said before I have friends that go every single year and before kid used to travel to see them several times per year. They go on and on about how great it is. When they have a party that's all we get to listen to because "they are the greatest". Maybe it's more because of their annoying hippyass fanbase that won't shut the fuck up about them that fuel the hellfires of hate upon them. Not fair but I think I may be right.

These people seeing them over and over and over again are fucking nuts. Why? Pay out your ass to hear the same shit you've heard time and time again, get fucked up on whatever the flavor of the day is and dance around flitting like fairies high off their asses. I'll never understand it but it's primarily those people that drive my hate, I know that much.

16. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry to get just a little further off topic, but I hear this all the time from people so I feel like I should explain. From what I understand, a lot of the big touring acts these days will play more or less the same set night after night. Jam bands, on the other hand, are not like that at all (DMB is somewhere in the middle, I saw them two nights in a row once and they repeated about 1/3 of the songs from the first night). My two favorite bands, Phish and Umphrey's McGee, along with a lot of other "jam bands" will play completely different sets each night. I've seen Umphrey's over 20 times in the past 6-7 years, several times back to back shows, and they play a completely different show each time. Bands like that you can follow around and see five shows in a row and not hear a single song twice, and even if you do 2/3 of the song may sound completely different. That's why people will follow these bands around the country like that.

Anyway, back to your scheduled programming.

17. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And Credence, too! That one is equally indefensible, haha.

Look, it's fine if The Dave Matthews Band appeals to you (personally, I find them as boring as sleeping pills and incredibly generic), but "extremely talented musicians" is just objectively wrong.

They're a normal, slightly above average group of pros from a technical standpoint. What's the difference between them and the supporting, revolving door, house band that backs up pop star X? Nothing, really.

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

DMB comes to Hartford every summer and does 3 days worth of shows here. Many people I know go all 3 days, which is insane because I wouldnt even do that for my favorite bands. I think part of it is that they are trendy and attract a more preppy fan base (Im not calling out TiB'ers that like him, but based on personal experience) which is why theyre so popular. Also its more of an event experience than just going to another concert for most of the fans I think. Theyre not my cup of tea, but I get why they are popular.

This basically sums them up pretty well.

19. Rumble

Rumble
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm going some heat for this one, but I guess that is the whole point of the thread.

Gun's n Roses There, I said it. Everybody loves them but I can't stand them. I even went to see them live (Well, Axl and the backup band that call themselves GnR nowadays) and I had to leave early... I just couldn't sit through it.

20. Beer Me

Beer Me
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Rush: I absolutely HATE Geddy Lee's voice, I'd rather be deaf than hear that squeaky voice. I don't mind Alex Lifeson (thanks to Trailer Park Boys) but I wish Geddy Lee would get an effing hair cut, and stop wearing those sunglasses (or change to a different pair of glasses).

Arcade Fire: All of my friends seem to love Arcade Fire, and I was actually told by one friend that I "have" to love them or else I don't like good music. Um, excuse me? I'll like whatever the hell I want to like, not be dictated by a group of undercover-hipsters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.