Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Out-of-Character Experiences

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Volo, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I took my recycling in to SarCan the other day, and it was packed to the nuts in there. There's a single express lane for people with fewer than three bags, but it was moving real slow because the woman running it was being a major bitch to everyone in line, going on and on about bottle caps, people with overflowing bags, and people bringing electronics to her instead of the unmarked lane for old computers and such. She was yelling so loud it was making a lot of folks uncomfortable and some people were even leaving her line just to try and get out of earshot.

Well, this one kid comes in, and it's clear he's a bit special. Looked like Down's Syndrome, but I couldn't be sure. He comes in with what appeared to be a brother, two black garbage bags in tow, and dumps them out in her lane. A bunch of plastic bottles and a bunch of soup cans. This woman goes apeshit, grabbing the cans one at a time, lifting them up and yelling "we don't take these, we don't take these!", before flipping them back in the kid's direction. The kid breaks down, starts crying and his brother doesn't say a word, just shoots an angry glare at this rotten bitch and tries to calm his brother down. Without hesitation this woman starts berating the kid further for holding up the line while he's in tears and trying to figure out why the fuck he's being yelled at.

Now it's loud in there, but I stepped out of my line, went to the express lane and just dropped a single "Hey!" in her direction. She turns to face me and I tell her to apologize to the kid. I'm trying to speak loud enough to command attention. She blanches slightly, begins sorting the bottles the kid had brought in, and puts the soup cans in the garbage, trying her best to ignore us. I say it again, a bit louder. She ignores us entirely until the kid and his brother have left and I head back to my line.

This isn't like me to do things like that. I generally let other people handle their own problems, especially in situations where all that's needed is to stand up for yourself. But this kid couldn't, and his brother wouldn't, and it's fucking low to pick on a kid who simply cannot figure this shit out on his own.

FOCUS: What have you done that was out-of-character for yourself? Why was it so odd? Looking back on it, was it justified, was it the right thing to do?

2. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

I'm a bit like George Costanza: anytime I ignore my instincts and do the exact opposite, it generally works out better for me.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was recently in Hong Kong and met this awesome russian chick randomly while out eating. Probably one of the coolest most outgoing girls Ive ever met (honestly Expats tend to be so fucking awesome I don't know why Im thinking of leaving). We drank all day together and partied all night. By the time we had finished we were both a mess and I dropped her off in a cab at her friends place, you know instead of pushing the subject. We made plans to meet up the next day since I didnt have a phone that worked. By the time the cab got back to my hotel I noticed she had left her purse in the cab. Since her friends place had been clear across town and had dropped her off at the entrance of the street I had no fucking chance of finding her (that and finding her place in the first place had been a 1 hour and a half drunken ordeal to begin with). But she had left her keys, bank card, and metro card in it.

I felt terrible for her since she was trying to get a new work visa and only staying at a friends in Hong Kong since she couldnt re enter China (she worked and lived in the mainland). Not having a phone or her contact info I spent some time internet sleuthing and searching her purse, I found her account on a website she mentioned using a lot. I joined that and started trying to contact her as well as through facebook with little hope. I went to the metro station we planned on meeting and waited hoping she'd turn up but she never did.

The next day was my last day and I decided Id drop her purse off at the Russian consulate. I spent the better portion of the day delivering her purse there. I had miss read my plane ticket as 4 pm but it was actually 2pm, damn 24 hour time bullshit and had gotten a late start. Of the 4 days I was there this was the only clear day with out gray nasty rain and it was beaut, 70's sun shining. I could have just dropped her shit off at the closest police station but knowing how fucking retarded Chinese people are about procedural stuff like this I gave up my last day to help the girl out. I had to skip Victoria's Peak and settled on getting my picture in front of the HK skyline after rushing to the other side, snapping a few shots, and then rushing to the train station off to the airport.

Not that I would have just tossed the shit out the window or something but the lengths I went to were pretty surprising to me and everyone that I told. She contacted me through facebook and got her purse back a day or two later. She promised to come see me in shanghai before I left, probably an empty promise, but it did make me feel like a million dollars. If there is such a thing as karma a smoking hot large breasted female will sit on my face as a reward.