Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Oscars 2017

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by audreymonroe, Jan 22, 2017.

1. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I just listened to Kimmel on The Bill Simmons Podcast, and he mentioned that but for sheer luck this year Best Actress was the penultimate award handed out before Best Picture; it switches every year with Best Actor. What that means is that there is an alternate reality in which Warren Beatty is handed an envelope that reads "Manchester by the Sea" (Casey Affleck), this whole shit still happens, and Jimmy Kimmel is forced to go up there and take away an Oscar from...Matt Damon.

2. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Are you fucking kidding me with Mahershala Ali? I love that guy. 4400, other shows, etc. He's a great actor. But he was in that movie for MAYBE 7 minutes. I kept waiting for him to come back and give the Oscar-worthy performance. But no, The kid finds out he sold drugs to his mom and he's just gone.

But yeah, Moonlight fuckin WAY BETTER than La La Land, just, you know, as a narrative. And also as the rest of what makes a movie.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Fuck musicals, again. All entertainment, enjoyment and brio in musicals for the past 25 years was concentrated strictly into The Book Of Mormon. Fuck you, Chicago. Slit your wrists in a warm bath, Dream Girls. Rent is for squeegee kids on suicide watch and women who play softball in combat boots. Such pandering, fuzzy-wuzzy cockgobbling.

Sorry, musicals need their own category outside of Best Picture because they should barely even count as films.

On a side note if you DO like musicals, "Everybody Says I Love You" isn't bad because they use only the on-screen actors' voices while singing, you find out people like Edward Norton are REALLY good singers. Oh my god... Schumacher's version of Webber's Phantom made me feel like I was being relentlessly vomited on with luxury. Fucking ridiculous....Emmy Rossum still shines through that monied garbage, though. She's possibly the best singer of any actor or actress in Hollywood.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Paint Your Wagon.

Nothin' more need be said, partner.

5. MobyDuk

MobyDuk
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I pretty much depise musicals, but I'd like to see Hamilton if it comes to town. I also despise rap. Go figure.

Musical movies - the one about Bob Fosse, "All that Jazz". "It's show time!"

Ooh, ooh! "The Producers". Who could forget the first time they heard "Spring Time for Hitler".

#25 MobyDuk, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017