Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

One week

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Noland, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was thinking of going back to Australia but it takes too fucking long to get there.

So instead I'd opt for Virgin Gorda, BVI.

- Most laid back island in the BVIs? Check.
    - Great local bud at great local prices? Check.
    - Fantastic fishing and sailing? Check, Check.

I already know where all the good shit is so I could just blaze up, chill out, and mix a dark n stormy.

[​IMG]

2. Chirpy

Chirpy
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I second that sentiment exactly. Australia is only a close second because of the time factor. But give me ten days or two weeks? I'm there. And this time I don't think I'm coming back.

But if I had the chance right here, right now, it'd be a toss up between London and Greece. London only because there's so much of the country that I have yet to see and as a literature lover, nature enthusiast, and history buff, I'd be all set. Plus you can't really beat my friends there. A little cider, a real Guinness, and excellent company and conversation and I'm rejuvinated.

Or I'd go back to the Motherland and just chill in my Dad's hometown. It's a laid-back, frappe-drinking, sitting around bullshitting kind of place and it suits me just fine. Get me a boat and the sun and I'm all set, thanks.

Attached Files:

3. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ireland. Preferably someplace with no tourists and one or two pubs where I could hang out and chill with the locals.

Or if the weather is better, the Adirondack Mountains. I love being there, and it relaxes me like no where else. Can't wait til this Summer's trip up there.

4. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

New Orleans. Get off the plane, immediately plant myself at The Napoleon House for a po' boy and a Pimm's Cup. Digest with a few more drinks then head up and over to Pat O'Brien's for hurricanes until I go blind or a large breasted, middle aged tourist date rapes me. The place is touristy, but I can't help it. Love those goddamn drinks. Spend the rest of the week wandering around, looking at history, eating my face off, holding court in some bars. Bourbon St. is pretty nuts, but any street over is pretty laid back. Plus, if you stay off Bourbon St. it doesn't smell like cheesy vomit. There are cheap, quiet watering/food holes almost anywhere. Especially outside the quarter.

The Inn On Bourbon or The Chateau Lemoyne are probably the best places I've ever stayed. If you're going, might as well stay in style.

Fuck this thread. Now I want to go.

Rant: I heard Big Daddy's closed. Strip club that had a pair of motorized ceramic legs on a swing coming out of the wall. Every girl was a hooker, the beers were cheap, and you stuck to the floor. When I was 22 I thought the greatest thing ever was this gal with breasts forever that, for a buck, would windmill-swing those babies around and slap you in the face as hard as possible. Almost knocked my near-blind friend out of his chair.

(One week? Couldn't do anywhere in Europe in a week. Maybe a month.)

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Arizona is my very perfect idea of picturesque. I loved it and will return just based on sight alone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

On a boat near San Benitos and/or Cedros Island with a bait tank full of spanish mackeral, fishing gear, dive gear, a sharp fillet knife and bad intentions.

7. selective misogyny

selective misogyny
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

[​IMG]

The blue lagoon in Iceland. It's a gigantic spa heated by geothermal energy.

Why there? Two reasons:

1) Have you seen the picture? You can't tell me that isn't awesome.

2) Because going that far and immersing myself in a completely different culture is my definition of escape. In fact, if given the choice, I'd probably do it alone.

8. hoju

hoju
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

No offense intended good sir, but I believe most people on this board would trade what they do for whatever it is you do for one week.

For myself, I'd go here. Its a small Bed and Breakfast on Isla Mujeres off the coast of Cancun. Owned by two Americans, it has a no children policy as well as no TV or phone. Cold beer and beautiful scenery aplenty. Went there in February and it was tits.
    The "cage" in the background has a 6 foot shark in it.

Attached Files:

9. palmettosc

palmettosc
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Noland is definitely more qualified than me on this, but I'm pretty sure you will be shot if you venture even one block off the wrong way.

Focus: I'd head right down to Charleston, SC, on one of the islands near there. You can head downtown for your touristy/history fix as well as some awesome night life and food. In addition you can go local and just soak up the rays on a beach bum's beach. For anyone who knows the area, basically 20 miles either way on 17 from there and I'm happy.

10. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd go to Guarujá in Brazil again in a heartbeat for a week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great local bars and restaurants where you can eat and drink for cheap, a phenomenal beach 100 yards from hotel porches, plenty of good bud on the beaches at night, and some fine, fine ladies.
    But if that doesn't work out, I'm going camping,

11. numeric

numeric
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

This thread's timing is ridiculously appropriate. This morning, I woke up with the urge to buy a motorcycle. Since I quit my research tech job to prepare for graduation, I spent the whole morning searching for a good starter bike; reading reviews and pricing different models. I came to the conclusion that I should buy a used Kawasaki Vulcan. It would take up most of my savings to learn to ride and buy a bike, but since I have little to look forward to after I graduate, part of me says that I can't wind up any worse by running from my debts as opposed to trying to fit what I want to do into society.

12. Moose

Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I would hide out under there

I'd toss a pack in the car, strap the canoe to the roof and head for the Adirondacks. I spent 6 weeks per year living and working in the ADK for 3 summers. Before that I spent at least 1 week per summer camping in Long Lake. To me, the mountains are the most beautiful and relaxing place to be when I need to unwind, and it's only a couple of hours away. Long Lake, Tupper Lake, Saranac Lake, and Lake Placid are like second homes to me. I'd spend my time hiking, paddling, fishing, and swimming. I'm sure I'd also be hiiiiigher than an ancient white pine most of the time as well.

(note: generic lean-to photo. I've never stayed in one as nice [read] as that)

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      28.5 KB
      Views:
  13. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Either:

A. Go climb a big mountain. Probably either Aconcagua or Kilimanjaro.

or, if I'm in a more relaxation-oriented mood,

B. Barcelona. Still my favorite city on earth. Lots of drinking, a beach and beautiful, beautiful women. What's not to like?

14. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wait, what's wrong with a week full of bare-naked ladies?

15. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If it's muskie season, I'd drop everything and head up north for a week on the water.

If not, I'd head south to Caye Caulker, Belize.

16. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Go to Dahab on the Sinai peninsula. Sunbathe and swim during the day, walk the boardwalk and drink at night. Fresh fish and seafood, beautiful snorkeling, great diving, relaxed and non-touristy atmosphere, international crowd. Time stands still out there.

[​IMG]