Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

One Cool Dude

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dcc001, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Obama writes an excused absence note for a boy.

Say what you will about him, President Obama can be one cool cat. I don't think Romney would ever have the suaveness to pull that off.

Focus: What's the coolest thing you've ever seen someone do?

Alt Focus: Who's the coolest person you know of? Can be a personal relationship, or someone from pop culture or history.

Edit: In case some of you missed it, this isn't a political thread. My Obama example is just because it's a cute story that popped up in my MSN feed.

2. sartirious

sartirious
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Only because it's a shout out to the hometown, but I'm a fan of Duluth's mayor Don Ness: Cooler by the lake

Earlier this year when Trampled by Turtles released their latest album "Stars and Satellites", Minneapolis Mayor RT Ryback and Ness together proclaimed April 11th to be 'Trampled by Turtles' day, and crowd-surfed into a sold out crowd a First Ave.

#2 sartirious, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  3. rbz90

rbz90
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Let's get this out of the way.

[​IMG]

Hangs out with high school kids and lives in an attic? Who could be cooler?

4. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    Bitch, please:

[​IMG]

5. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

Fuck that nonsense. There's only one clear winner.

Attached Files:

6. mav_ian

mav_ian
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Well, on the bright side, at least this didn't turn into a political thread...

[​IMG]

7. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Motherfucker please.

[​IMG]

8. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's awesome that the Pres was at Honeywell there. I learned to drive in that parking lot.

Oh, and all these bastards as thieving Elvises (Elvii?).

Attached Files:

9. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

So cool, he doesn't need a name.

10. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

11. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

As for real people, I'll offer:

[​IMG]

Life highlights:
    -Turret gunner in World War II
    -Starred in kickass movies like "Cool Hand Luke", "Slapshot", and "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"
    -Founded the Newman's Own brand, which still donates all proceeds (more than $300 million in total) to charity
    -Donated more than $20 million of his own money over his lifetime
    -Ranked #19 on Richard Nixon's enemies list
    -Raced stock cars in major races all the way until he was almost 80

I challenge anyone to bring up someone who kicked more ass than Paul Newman.

12. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I agree. Newman is/was a kickass person.
    But I'll submit Chuck Yeager:
    [​IMG]

Got shot down in WWII, while on the run from the germans he hooked up with the French underground resistance (Maquis) and made bombs and helped blow up shit.
    Then while escaping over the Pyrennes, another shot down bomber pilot was shot by german troops in the leg and passed out. Chuck Yeager threw the guy over his shoulder and climbed the mountain range into France. Ho hum.
    Went back and personally petitioned to Dwight Eisenhower to return to duty. Was the first person ever to be shot down and be allowed to go back into combat.
    He then rewarded Eisenhower and the Army Air Corp by becoming an Ace. Then on a mission, shot down 5 planes in one day.
    Was one of the first ever pilots to shoot down a German ME-262 (a jet) in his P-51 (a prop plane)
    After the war, he as we all know was the first pilot to go Mach 1. With broken ribs.
    In one of the more amazing thing he ever accomplished (in my opinion) he broke Scotty Crossfields record of 2.3 Mach in the X-1A, in which he flew so high so fast that he was in space. In a fucking Airplane. Obviously shit went haywire, and he barely survived. The plane was fucked up, but he landed it. The spin and descent was so maddening that he bent the fucking stick. If you can find it on the internet listen to the audio recording of it, he knew he was going to die, but found a way to live and even save the plane.
    Then he went on to serve in many many more engagements across the nation.

Here is the list of medals he's received:
    Air Force Distinguished Service Medal
    Silver Star with bronze oak leaf cluster (for shooting down five Bf 109s in one day[24])
    Width-44 crimson ribbon with a pair of width-2 white stripes on the edges
    Distinguished Flying Cross with two bronze oak leaf clusters (for an Me 262 kill[25] and first to break the sound barrier)
    Width-44 scarlet ribbon with width-4 ultramarine blue stripe at center, surrounded by width-1 white stripes. Width-1 white stripes are at the edges.
    Bronze Star Medal with bronze valor device (for helping rescue a fellow airman from Occupied France[6])
    Width-44 purple ribbon with width-4 white stripes on the borders Purple Heart
    Air Medal with two silver oak leaf clusters
    Air Force Commendation Medal
    Presidential Unit Citation with bronze oak leaf cluster
    Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
    American Defense Service Medal
    American Campaign Medal
    Silver star
    Bronze star
    Bronze star
    Bronze star
    European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with silver and three bronze service stars
    World War II Victory Medal
    Presidential Medal of Freedom

13. ec88

ec88
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The John Jacob Astor Story

Spoiler for length.

When Second Officer Charles Lightoller arrived on A deck to finish loading Lifeboat 4, Astor helped his wife with her maid and nurse into it. Astor then politely asked if he might join his wife because she was in 'a delicate condition'; however, Lightoller told him that men were not to be allowed to enter until all the women and children had been loaded. However he (told) Astor (that he) would get the last spot if he stayed. Astor refused and gave up his spot to two frightened children who couldn't speak English.

The lifeboat was lowered at 1:55 a.m. and Astor stood alone while others tried to free the remaining collapsible boats; he was last seen on the starboard bridge wing, smoking a cigarette with Jacques Futrelle amiably talking.

Louis Garrett's eyewitness account stated: “What a sight! Most of the lifeboats were gone. The crew was permitting women and children only to board the lifeboats—there were not enough for everyone. We saw women crying, not wanting to leave their husbands; husbands begging their wives and children to hurry and get into the lifeboats. Amid this complete pandemonium and mass hysteria stood my sister and I, two immigrant children, unable to speak English, frightened beyond belief, crying and looking for help. The last lifeboat was being loaded. A middle-aged gentleman was with his very young, pregnant wife. He helped her into the lifeboat, then looked back to the deck and saw others wanting to get aboard. He kissed his wife good-bye, and, returning to the deck, grabbed the first person in his path. Fortunately, I was there in the right place at the right time and he put me into the lifeboat. I screamed for my sister who had frozen from fright. With the help of others, she also was pushed into the lifeboat. Who was the gallant man who performed this kind act? We were told he was John Jacob Astor IV. At that time he was 45 years old and his wife, Madeleine, was 19. They were traveling to the United States because they wanted their child to be born there. Many newspaper stories were written that told how John Jacob Astor gave up his life for a young immigrant.

What a fucking badass.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Lou Reed. If boasting that the coolest album ever made is The Velvet Underground & Nico is wrong, then I have no urge to be right.

[​IMG]

15. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pretty damn cool I'd say ...

[​IMG]

16. Allord

Allord
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The Nightmares of children with a 30" Dildo
    When it comes to these "Who is fucking AWESOME?!?!?!?" threads I have an old standby:

Jack Churchill.

[​IMG]

Don't know who he is? What's your excuse?

Here's the short version:
    - World War II British officer
    - Weapon of choice: Scottish Broadsword
    - Ranged weapon of choice: Longbow + arrows
    - The only known soldier of World War II to have killed an enemy combatant (Nazi sergeant) with a bow and arrow
    - Joined the commandos because it "sounded dangerous"
    - Successfully led his squad to capture many objectives where he was outnumbered and outgunned
    - He and 6 of his squadmates were the only ones to make it to one objective when they were hit by mortar fire. His squad dead, and himself injured, Jack played the bagpipes until he was knocked unconscious by a grenade and captured.
    - He was incarcerated in a concentration camp and escaped
    - He was recaptured, incarcerated in another concentration camp, and managed to escape again
    - He walked 93 miles to Italy where he was picked up by the invading American force
    - He then shipped off to the Pacific to fight the Japanese and complained when the war ended abruptly after the bombing of Japan: "If it wasn't for those damn Yanks, we could have kept the war going another 10 years."

[​IMG]

"any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly armed."

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Now here is a war hero with zero competition. This guy was BEYOND badass. I read Mad Jack also captured 20 enemy soldiers and turned them in to the Allies with ONLY HIS SWORD to keep them from escaping. That's just fucking unreal.

[​IMG]

18. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Craig Ferguson is pretty damn cool. Major bonus points for not just singing his own theme song and playing drums for it, but he also wrote the thing.

#18 BL1Y, Jun 8, 2012
  19. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: One Cool Dude

His "Britney Spears " opening a few years ago about celebrity and alcoholism, particularly his own struggle with booze was fantastic.

His book is also a great read.

#19 Flat_Rate, Jun 8, 2012
  20. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This guy right here:

[​IMG]

You can say what you want about Frank and Sammy, but Dean Martin had a joie de vivre that may never be matched. The guy just knew how to have a good time. From a 10th grade dropout, steel mill worker, bare-knuckle boxer to one of the coolest guys in America.