Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Old Movie Review Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by $100T2, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Thats probably true. It's definitely worth watching, though. He plays a downright creepy motherfucker.

2. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Go (1999)
    A crazy night in the life of a group of people is told in three separate acts from their different perspectives, culminating in us getting to see how they will eventually cross paths early the next morning. The first act centers on a girl who is college aged or maybe a bit older and works at a grocery store and is played by Sarah Pollley. Desperate for money, she gets involved in a drug deal on behalf of her male co-worker, who has left on a road trip to Vegas with three of his friends. The second act is from the perspective of that male co-worker, where we get to see the hijinks that he and his friends get into in Vegas. The final act is told from the perspective of two gay male actors, who are forced to help an undercover cop in a drug bust after they themselves had been facing drug charges.

I enjoyed the first act. Sarah Polley was terrific in her role, and it was disappointing that she mostly disappeared after the first act. The second act was also solid and was about what you would expect from four twenty-something guys going on a road trip to Vegas in a comedy-crime film. The third act was where the film kind of falls apart. Neither of the two gay actors nor the cop that they are forced to work with is funny or interesting. The two actors end up going to the cop's house to have dinner with him and his wife after the cop invites them, and it turns out that the cop has specific reasons for doing so that are just...bizarre, but in a cringe-worthy kind of way.

Then we get to the ending, which is a bit of a letdown. It's not entirely predictable, and I liked that the movie actually wrapped up the narrative and didn't leave any unanswered questions. But it also dragged on a bit too long and didn't provide a big payoff. For awhile the movie did work as a less edgy version of Pulp Fiction, but the third act hurt it enough that it didn't live up to its status as a cult classic to me. But it still provided some decent entertainment.
    5.5/10

The Skeleton Key (2005)
    Looking for a job as a caregiver that provides a flexible schedule, Kate Hudson takes a job at a house that is in an isolated location in the bayous of Louisiana. Her job is to care for an older man who had suffered a stroke and can barely talk or move because of it. His wife lives in the house with him, and soon Hudson's character questions if she is telling the truth about what really happened to her husband.

The first hour and fifteen minutes or so of the movie were pretty boring, but there were a few shocks along the way. I also really liked Kate Hudson's character in the movie and thought that she was enjoyable in a role where she kind of plays detective. In fact, this really is more of a mystery film and psychological thriller than it is a horror movie. But it gets really good in the last 30 minutes, and I thought that the movie really nailed the landing with its ending.
    5/10

The Big Green (1995)
    Olivia d'Abo plays a British teacher who is part of an exchange program and is placed in a school in a small town in Texas. Her new students had had notably bad test scores in the past and they have very little self-esteem, and to try to give them a boost she introduces them to the sport of soccer. Soon they are entered in a league and slowly become a respectable team.

I think of myself as a big time '90s kid, and I still enjoying watching some of the kids movies that came out during the time when I was a kid. This is one that I had seen one time, with that viewing probably being sometime not too long after it was released on home video. I didn't remember much about it and have never been a soccer fan, so I wasn't as likely to re-watch it as I was something like The Sandlot or Little Giants. And interestingly, Patrick Renna and Chauncey Leopardi, who played Hamilton Porter and Squints, respectively, in The Sandlot, both appear in this movie as members of the title team.

Unfortunately, The Big Green does not hold up as well as those other two films that I previously mentioned (and to be honest, The Sandlot doesn't even hold up all that well to me as an adult, as much as it pains me to have to say it). All of the child characters in the movie are one or two dimensional. And while I would expect a movie like this to be predictable, I would also think that there are some funny or interesting scenes along the way. But there aren't. It's about as run-of-the-mill as it gets.

The one positive is that Olivia d'Abo is nice to look at. I have always been a big fan of The Wonder Years, but even so I never thought of her as being any more than average looking. But I couldn't take my eyes off of her while I was watching this film.

It's probably still an okay film for kids, but there isn't much here for the older crowd to enjoy.
    2/10

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The Killer

Fassbender gives heavy voice-over and few spoken lines here, this is an anxiety thriller in the vein of Training Day and Sicario— The story starts in the middle, there is no beginning, and like the main character, we don’t really know what’s going on. Unlike Fincher’s usual work in dark, deep-focus cinematography everything here is bright and clear, and during the only scene it IS dark we are treated to the best fight scene in the past five years, easily.

This is nothing groundbreaking as a movie— it is also intentionally tedious at times putting you in Fassbender’s shoes. However the film is still solid and strong in all categories, with an anti-hero that is smart, clean and cold as ice.

8.5/10

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I enjoyed The Killer. It was released one month ago on Netflix - I'm not sure that qualifies as an "old Movie," but I agree with all your review. (FYI, going in, know this is totally a Fassbender film, and he is good. But, if you see the poster or IMDB credit list and are expecting more than about 5 seconds from Tilda Swinton, you're going to be disappointed.)

5. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I appreciate that the movie was filmed in Dominican Republic and is actually set there as well. Usually it's used as a stand-in for Mexico or whatever "tropical Latin American country" they can't be bothered to travel to (The Black Demon is a recent one).

6. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, I've been on a binge of watching bad movies recently in conjunction with a podcast I listen to, and I'm pretty sure I've now seen possibly one of the worst movies ever made. Like so bad it circles around back to being "good" type of movies.

Tammy and the T-Rex

Starring Paul Walker and Denise Richards before both were really in the mainstream, this is one of those you have to experience it to see how bad it is. The acting is terrible, the VFX are laugh out loud bad in parts, the story/writing seems like it was done over a cocaine filled weekend and not a second longer; yet, somehow it's still entertaining? I doubt I'll ever actually watch it again, but it was certainly an experience I'm glad I had. Or at the very least, it's a good way to kill 90 minutes if you have literally no better options.

7. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That looks kind of amazing. Will put it on the to-watch list.

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The "Dr. Frankenstein" character is Bernie from Weekend at Bernie's!

9. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes he is. Low-key, the best character in the whole movie.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It’s bad as fuck. You can’t blame the stars for taking any role like that before they were famous, but what blows my mind is some of the roles actors take later on, like the movie “Tip-Toes”. I watched that and it’s like… who made this and WHY did famous people sign on?

….or this masterpiece— Riding The Bus With My Sister. Rosie O’Donnell playing a retarded kid. In 2005. With this voice:

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hold on.

Rosie O'Donnell is your example of people using bad judgement?

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Not now, but when she made that movie she was possibly at the peak of her own popularity. However I was more talking more about remarkably awful movies that got green-lit with good intentions. When you look at it, just about every movie about retarded people is awful and should not have been made . For instance, I just rewatched “I Am Sam” and it is fucking horrendous, I don’t know WHO the fuck thinks that was either “good acting” OR a good idea. Leo in Gilbert Grape was practically the only one who nailed it. And Warren in Something About Mary.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think Steve Carell nailed it in Welcome To Marwen.
    /s

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Maybe. I hated that fucking movie so goddamn much, so I can’t really remember. It shit on an incredible (and incredibly tragic) true story.

Nice pull. Another “Why the FUCK was this made?!?!” for the absolute ages..