Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Oil oil everywhere and not a drop to drink... oh wait...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Samr, May 23, 2010.

1. Muses

Muses
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm seeing some of my friends on Facebook join an event to boycott BP stations. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most gas station chains buy and sell gas to each other all the time, meaning boycotting any one particular outlet brand is pretty pointless?

Edit: The event has over 125,000 confirmed guests. Please tell me this boycott isn't as retarded as I think it is.

2. DannyMac

DannyMac
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

You are pretty much correct. Plus BP has sold most of its stations to independent franchisees that agree to carry the BP logo. Unfortunately screwing with the Petroleum industry via boycotts has gotten pretty damn difficult over the last 15 years.

3. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

From what I understand, the main obstacle that is preventing foreign aid is the Jones Act, and old law from the 1920's which prevents vessels that are not built in the US and crewed by US workers from working in the Gulf. Why this has not already been waived is a mystery to me:

http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/06/10/jones-act-slowing-oil-spill-cleanup/

4. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just found this. I don't think it's been posted here yet. As always with this incident, it offers a grim picture, supported by (what I think is) sound analysis of what's been going on.

5. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

But what is the grim 'worst case situation'? Just a bit more oil? Will the entire Atlantic be ruined? Will oil rush against the coast of Ireland?!?!?

6. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yup, soon oil covered leprechauns will be washing up on the shores of Ireland.

7. Saint

Saint
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Good, maybe now those greedy fuckers will give up that crappy cereal.

8. ILikePie

ILikePie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

You mean like what was on the BBC?

Full article here.

I also just realized BP is the manufacturer of the dispersant that is being used currently. Again they're choosing to cut corners and be cheap and use a less safer method. Way to go dipshits.

9. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Congress, do you feel better for ripping Hayward a new hole today? Wait, did you actually accomplish anything or were you all just seeing who could make the front page with your insults?

Rep. Cao, the Hari Kari comment was so over the top and unneccessary, you wasted time boosting your political career that could have been used constructively in brainstorming.

Congratulations Congress, I hate you more than Hayward now.

10. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Deep fried whale is only a lit match away?

11. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

This may be a stupid question, but...

I understand how nuking the leak is a crazy option, but the idea of sealing the hole with an explosive seems almost plausible. The hole isn't that large (5-10 feet wide, tops?), so why can't they use a different powerful, non-nuclear, explosive? Is a nuke the only kind of explosive capable of generating enough heat to seal the hole?

12. Bread Mustache

Bread Mustache
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This was on The Daily Show the other night. It's not about the spill, but it definitely ties in with all of this. Probably one of the best segments he's done in a while.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-june-16-2010/an-energy-independent-future" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-j ... ent-future</a>

13. Racer-X

Racer-X
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

There are several problems with the "nuclear option" or a large conventional explosive.

You have to plant the explosive in an adjacent wellbore deep enough to avoid and of the damaged casing in the leaking well. Drilling this hole has many of the same dangers as drilling an oil well and would take a significant amount of time.

Second, the physical makeup of the ground around the well has to meet very specific requirements for an explosive to even have a chance of working. Most of the information that I've heard from trustworthy sources seems to indicate that the floor of the gulf does not meet these requirements. There's also the possibility of causing a seafloor collapse which could cause the leak to get worse instead of better.

The third, most obvious, problem with using a nuclear device is the resulting radiation. Theoretically, if the explosive is deep enough below the ground no radiation would leak out. The problem is that the explosion may cause crack or collapse of the sea floor that allows enough water to get into the radiation zone to cause some contamination. It's unlikely that enough radiation would escape to cause any real harm, but try telling that to the general public. Obviously this wouldn't be a concern with a conventional explosive but a conventional explosive would have to be much larger necessitating a larger hole to be drilled.

14. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yesterday reminded exactly why I fucking hate congressional hearings so much. Nothing but elected officials wasting time and money as an excuse to create headlines for themselves.

BP CEO: I had no prior knowledge of the drilling of this well, none whatsoever. With respect, sir, we drill hundreds of wells a year around the world

Rep. Michael Burgess: That’s what’s scaring me now

Thanks Rep. Burgess, that quip has done so much.

15. JoshP

JoshP
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

DON'T FEAR!! KEVIN COSTNER HAS SAVED US ALL!
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.necn.com/06/18/10/BP-turns-to-cleanup-device-backed-by-Kev/landing.html?blockID=256423&feedID=4215" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.necn.com/06/18/10/BP-turns-t ... eedID=4215</a>
    Take that scientists! I wonder if this will be reflected on his IMDB.

16. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

#117 Nettdata, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  18. Nitwit

Nitwit
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Make jokes if you will, but my hat is off to that guy. Exxon Valdez, 21 years ago, prompted him to invest (20 million dollars?) millions of dollars for now. I hope his machines work.

19. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    Isn't it just a larger version of the thing that he used to turn piss into water in Waterworld?

20. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#120 Stealth, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015