Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Oil oil everywhere and not a drop to drink... oh wait...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Samr, May 23, 2010.

1. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When this is all said and done, I'm sure we'll be nothing less than totally dissatisfied.

2. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wow, they really have to replace the drill they sank? Tony Hayward has been quoted as saying he'd "like his life back". FUCK BP.

The stock's loss isn't actualized and I'd bet a dead seagull they change their name *again* after this blows over. The irony behind this whole thing is Tony's put options have skyrocketed in value.

BP has a history of negligence because they can. They have technology to drill sideways and at angles, yet have nothing to clean up their "accident". Their only concern is fixing the current problem, not their operation.

3. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well is likely losing upwards of 1,000,000 gallons of oil per day

Oh, bullshit. They have absolutely nothing to lose by lowballing the public. If they're wrong, they can fall back on faulty calculations or bad data or some such nonsense. It's not like people can get much angrier than they already are, and they've already been caught lying. Why stop now?

4. JoshP

JoshP
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

How there aren’t more safeguards in place is amazing, this must have been brought up at least once, "What if the back up fails?" I mean fixing something a mile under the sea is out of control. Things this deep should be treated like a space mission. If something goes wrong, you're fucked....Then again, NASA doesn’t have the best safety record. The numbers after all this is over will be ridiculous. Money lost, gallons of oil lost, and just man hours invested.

On the lighter side.

#84 JoshP, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  5. cdite

cdite
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I am no longer concerned about the oil spill, we must now worry about the west coast again.

#85 cdite, Jun 10, 2010
  6. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When I read this I pictured the BP execs, drawn as characters in the Simpson's world, sitting around a large table in their meeting room. One of them says "What if the back up fails?" and then the room goes silent for a moment before they all burst into laughter at the mere thought.

7. Bread Mustache

Bread Mustache
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The redneck solution. I want to know if something like this would work on a larger scale...and why they haven't done it yet.

#87 Bread Mustache, Jun 11, 2010
  8. JoshP

JoshP
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Well since the oil spill is about 90,000 Square Miles, we would need enough hay bails to cover the surface of Minnesota. GET TO BAILIN' BOYS!

9. JPrue

JPrue
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

On the television at the gym last night was some story about George W. Bush giving an inaugural address via Facebook. Before seeing him again, I haven't thought of the former president once since he left office. The guy on the machine next to me immediately said "George Dub-yah. I wonder how he would handle this oil crisis. I mean, in office he sucked, but this would hit home for him. He has experience with oil and it's near "his" region. Then again he might pull a Katrina."

I'm not sure how I feel about how Bush would handle this either. He didn't respond well to 9/11 or Katrina, but I wonder if it would be different with this time since he has his oil connects. Do you think he would handle it better, worse, or the same than the way Obama is managing it?

10. Downer

Downer
    Expand Collapse
    Lurker

I live in coastal Alabama and what is astounding is that there is no activity here as far as clean up efforts besides a handful of volunteers that are using shit they bought at Home Depot. The area im in, which is Gulf Shores, relies solely on tourism and fishing which is pretty much non-existent now due to the closing of waters. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out here. My wife and I are seriously debating moving which pisses me off more than anything, because it really is or was a nice area to live.

11. carpenter

carpenter
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I am amazed that there isn't a Geraldo-like reporter ripping BP's ass every fifteen minutes. There are so many lies and stories involved in this clusterfuck that a reporter could spend the rest of his/her writing days on this subject alone.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/12/gulf-oil-spill-leaked-oil_n_609981.html
    Of course, there's more to read in the article, but I'm getting too angry to read.

And for some reason all you computer geeks neglected to post about this:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-33986-Pol...e-away-from-real-news-on-Gulf-oil-spill-disas
    Google and Yahoo are companies who have to make money too, but doesn't this just seem evil? 'Wrong' just doesn't convey the disdain BP seems to show anyone with a pulse. I feel like BP has started watching movies about the evil, corrupt corporations that are doing their best to fuck up the planet, and copy what happens in the movies. I know this is an accident, but just when you think they can't fuck it any worse...
    http://www.google.com/search?q=oil+...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

12. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Here's what I don't understand. Just what in the world do people expect Obama to do about this? Because I don't think there's a fucking thing he or any other president could do to stop this shit from leaking into the ocean. The "experts" can't even really do anything to fix this in the short-term.

I think BP is honestly doing everything they can to stop that leak. Its costing them a shit ton of money and, more importantly, the public is a little more than angry with them and getting angrier every day. That being said, fuck them for not having some extra safeguards in place. I know it's a freak accident but the amount of damage that this freak accident is doing should warrant more than "we'll just pull this lever if something goes wrong". I'm wondering if some of the other oil companies are looking at this disaster and changing their safety measures to make sure something similar doesn't happen with one of their rigs.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Well, what they should NOT do is refuse help from other, more experienced countries that offer to help.

I think it was the Dutch that, on day 3, offered their help, and BP and Obama said "thanks but no thanks". They are recognized as having the world's most advanced dredging technology, and tons of recovery/containment booms, etc. While I don't know the details, it sure seems stupid at first glance.

Then James Cameron offered help. Sure, sounds silly, but the guy's got more deep sea experience than most Navies. He spent YEARS and HUGE dollars developing underwater submersible technology, both with ROV's and personal suits. I know he dropped over $10 million into R&D in a shop in North Van for his search and filming of the Titanic documentaries.

Meh.

It's a fucked situation, and they seem to be more concerned with PR damage control than fixing the problem.

Again, I hope people see the inside of an ugly jail for this shit... not only the BP guys, but also the government officials that apparently signed off on this short cut that BP took that took away some of the emergency response options.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Oh, and the only thing about this that will be worse than the actual spill is going to be the scramble all of the politicians are going to do to grand stand and take advantage of this as much as possible to show "I care... now vote for me".

That's something that ALL politicians will be doing, regardless of affiliation.

15. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

*grand standing only valid if politician personally kisses oil afflicted wildlife.

16. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can see it now:

Dem on MSNBC: It's their fault for their vigorous efforts to "Drill baby drill!" We don't need them in office, we'll have ten more of these!

Repub on Fox: The more government bureaucracy they created the more ineffective their regulations became. It's there fault, Vote them out!

17. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Apparently, all of it.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Apparently so.

Let me explain the gist of it to you.

What the "no politics" rule is there for is to stop the useless Dems vs. Reps political drivel that seems to always spiral out of control into a bunch of monkeys hurling shit at each other. (Same goes for religion).

The sum total of the content of your original post was (paraphrasing) "George W was an idiot", which is a direct attack at an individual politician, and opened the doors for people to spew out the "Obama's no better" and stuff like that.

We don't mind having intelligent discussions of political subjects, but your post was totally without substance, and accomplished nothing other than providing the spark for that kind of bullshit trollfest, so I killed it.

If you'd made a smart, informative, substantial post that contained some political commentary, then it wouldn't have been a problem.

You didn't, so it was removed.

19. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded