Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Oh, you hack? HEADSHOT.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by p00g0blin, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What are these "raiding guilds"? And why are they so important to this game?

2. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ninja loot, bitches!

#22 iczorro, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  3. Nettie

Nettie
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Basically, the only way to see the end game content is to "raid" it. You need a force of more than just a group of friends to take the bosses down. When I quit EQ, we had 72 man raids, although I hear it's been increased since then.

So if you want to "win" the game, get the uber loots, etc., you have to be part of a raiding guild. You & your buddies can't do it alone. Although the way the games are designed, there is no end of the game, there is no winner. You just have the best shinys.

4. Brevin

Brevin
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

A bunch of friends and myself play quite a few games regually, mainly first person shooters (Call of Duty, Battlefield etc) and quite often host lan parties between friends or go to big competitions.
    Nothing is taken too seriously in the lan parties, usually a bit of offensive banter between beers and cigarette breaks., However the competitions we go to are rediculous. 100+ people in a hall for 3 consecutive days starts to get a little intense, and there are people screaming at one another, calling bullshit left right and center, and one another trying to take each other outside for punchups's.

Quite amusing actually considering some of these guys would be blown over with a strong gust of wind.

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cheating in video games (and trolling in general) is barely a step above killing pets in the hierarchy of indicators of sociopathy. Knife to the head was a totally justified pre-emptive strike. Hopefully it rewired his brain to be less of a Ted Bundy in training.

6. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This isn't really any worse than people getting into fights over the rules of beer pong, or whether you tapped the cue ball while playing pool. And, it's not much different than people who get too worked up over drama at work or with their friends. It's just people who don't have enough meaningful stuff in their life, so they end up assigning too much value to things that don't really matter.

7. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage</a>

And some folks go to un-fucking-believable lengths to do such things. I'm not going to lie, I've put some serious hours into games, but never 18 hour sittings. Fuck me, the group in the article wasn't even successful.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2008/08/pandemonium-war/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2008/08/pandemonium-war/</a>

First paragraph says it all.

8. eric

eric
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

What I find to be completely incomprehensible about some of these online games is people spending real money to buy virtual property. Literally tens of thousands of dollars to buy something that exists only on a server somewhere.

9. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

While I wouldn't either and it is somewhat boggling to me too, one thing to keep in mind is that "money" is mostly something that just exists on a server somewhere too so I can start to understand why trading one virtual good for another is less bizarre to some people.

10. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is it any less crazy than buying stock in a company?

There are millions of intangible goods out there for sale.

As long as there's a market for it, it will alway be around.

11. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The games themselves are virtual property. And, I've spent money on expansion packs for games. This is pretty comprehensible. What I don't get is people who spend money on mother fracking Mafia Wars.

Random people on my Facebook feed are seriously fucking into Mafia Wars. They post requests for people to fight/hit list turds that pissed them off and act like it's an actual matter of honor to fight back. I get that some games really draw people in, but you think the spell would be broken when you embed the game within another giant waste of time like Facebook. Whenever someone posts a "please fight this guy" message, I always troll them. "Why?" seems to do really well.

12. p00g0blin

p00g0blin
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Speaking of World of Warcraft and the such.. anybody seen Second Skin?

It's a documentary about a handful of MMO addicts (WoW, EverQuest), and how they live their lives. Some pretty ridiculous stories.

Use to be on Hulu, but any major torrent site will have it. Or you can buy it from the site, like I did.

april fools. isohunt.com ftw.