Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Oh Say Can You Seeeee! Weeklong 4th of July Drunk Thread '12

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blue Dog, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

2. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

I love watching Marvel vs Capcom tournaments. That's the one fighter I never got into, being more of an SF III/GG (or BlazBlue but not as much) player. But watching it is awesome. I don't know half the shit that's going on in the EVO stream right now for MvC 3, but it sure is bananas.

3. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Same here. I'm no expert, but MvC3 (and previously, MvC2) is tremendous fun to watch. The whole weekend has had terrific streams, though; the SF2 tournament was probably my favorite.

4. menaceIIsobriety

menaceIIsobriety
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Fuck. Living in south is brutal lately. I just broke a sweat taking trash to a dumpster.

I started bartending at a country club today since my office/temp job is getting cut to three days a week and a friend got me on easily. Third tier would be a stretch in describing this place. I mean, it is of course very expensive and most of the lots are waterfront (though its mostly saltwater channels to real water) and have good views but it certainly isn't the type of place a reasonable person would want to spend 50k a year on.

It's actually going to break recent monotony in my life, I hope. There is an army of hot girls +/- 2 yrs of the drinking age. I'm 25 and technically not far from these kids age group but conversations indicate most of the bunch have a partying resume that makes me look like Kieth Richards. The creepy old guy feeling was tough to shake but I have a boating date with a gender mixed group of them where I plan to pace my drinking lest I let word get around that I'm some sort of maniac. After all, I listened to one of the girls recount (from a second hand source) in great chronological detail how one of the others got taken out drinking and "taken advantage of" by pretty much the only guy I have found to be cool. I actually want this to last because the money is really fucking good and I need it but just briefly I felt like I was in a new high school trying to classify the cliques and develop the best image except now I know the moves and have the material stuff to capitalize; that is a very seductive thing for someone who has been a caged animal for nearly a year and a half working my first real job and in a (recently ended) long term relationship.

5. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

6. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

In the future, or as I like to call it South Korea and certain dorky parts of the western world where people spend too much time on the internet, real sports are slowly replaced by computer games and instead of watching atheletes compete on the field, dorks watch streams of other dorks competing on screens.

Specifically, these dorks are talking about people playing Marvel vs Capcom 2 and 3, and Street Fighter 2.

I generally find playing any game to be vastly more interesting than watching, and I get pretty bored playing side scrollers for more than a couple of rounds. I have no idea how the fuck you stay awake to watch streams long enough to get through an entire battle, let alone for an entire weekend.

7. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I used to watch Halo 2 when it was an MLG game, and EVE Online Alliance Tournaments. You've got to be at a certain level to see and understand what's going on. But if you can recognize what you're watching, some of it is unbelievable.

8. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I watch more real sports than virtual ones by a factor of ten to one. But in-between poring over 1-2 hours of MMA footage per day to make informed gambling decisions and basketball, watching fighting game tournaments is a nice change of pace once every month or so.

I agree with you when it comes to 99+% of titles. It takes a very unique game to make for entertaining viewing.

9. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I could see spectator gaming becoming much more popular. The reason is that getting in to a game, as opposed to a sport, generally has a lower threshold. Anyone can buy Starcraft and start playing. Harder to find a softball league, and then you have to have some minimal skill to play on a team. That gives professional "athletic" gaming a very nice fan base of casual players.

But, gaming will never replace sports, the same way no sport has replaced every other sport. I don't think there's a better game in the world for watching that American football. The pacing of the game is so perfect for TV. You can watch a team advance towards the endzone, it builds tension very nicely. But, at the same time anything can happen on any play. Wide receiver breaks away and runs it in, interception, whatever. You have a larger plot, with each play still counting. But, some people will prefer baseball, or basketball, or hockey, or soccer. Doesn't matter that I think football is better, they'll like what they like. Same thing will happen as gaming becomes more popular. People who like it will watch it, people who like football will watch football.

And we're still on the 4th of July thread, right? So, yeah, that choice is part of what makes America great. Or something. Did y'all know rum gets you drunk?

10. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

11. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh no. We did it on Saturday night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.