Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Official TiB Fantasy Football Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Hoosiermess, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm interested as long as I'm available when everyone wants to draft. Let me know what I need to do.

2. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, as the REIGNING CHAMPION, I plan on returning and defending my trophy. I'm all in on this. I am pushing hard for auction. Auction creates rivalries. You know who beat you for that player you wanted. The trash talk will be SO much better in this thread. It will be everything we ever wanted. It also requires more planning and focus. It's what the big boys do. Just saying. Y'all scared?

[​IMG]

3. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

I'm in. Let's do this.

4. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm in. And would like to remind you all that I was robbed last year.

[​IMG]

In a week where Calvin Johnson, Jermichael Finley, and Deion Branch combined to give me four points.

5. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd like to remind you that the Champion cares not for your tears. Where's my boy Zyron at?

6. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Somebody call? I'm in and would also recommend doing an auction draft but will play either way.

7. p00g0blin

p00g0blin
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Might be up for the paid league.

Definitely in for the free league to defend my Cheap-Ass Championship title.

8. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm in again for paid, and auction is kinda awesome.

9. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm in for the paid/free/whatever but prefer the paid.

I've never done an auction but if that's the direction we go it could be fun.

10. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Auction! Auction! Auction!

11. Kinsey

Kinsey
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'll join up for the paid league. I'd prefer an auction draft.

12. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a slight preference for snake because I'm lazy and it requires less research but I'll fuck with auction if y'all are leaning that way.

13. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

FTFY.

14. Rumble

Rumble
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I might be in, but I've never done an auction draft. Is it much different?

15. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Auction draft is awesome. Basically everyone gets a pre-determined amount of cash. The standard is $200. The system already has esimtated values for each player, but bidding starts at 0. When its your turn, you pick what player you want to nominate for auction, he goes up, and it goes just like any other auction.

Everyone can bid, 1 dollar, 2 dollars, 3 dollars, until it goes up and up. The Strategy is you know you can only go balls out and spend X amount of players, because you still need to get others. You can't spend $150 on Aaron Rodgers, because you will only have $50 dollars left.

The FUN is knowing who likes what players. So Chater is a Saints fan, so you know he's going to want Drew Brees. I can be a dick and just keep bidding up on Drew Brees to fuck him out of having cash over for other players. The risk is that I overestimate his love for Drew Brees, bid him up to a dangerous amount and he says "You know what? Fuck you, you ran up his price, you get him for $110." Then I have $90 left for all my other players putting me into a bad decision, so now do I spread the cash around for a bunch of middle of the road guys? Or do I blow my load on a top WR/RB? Decisions decisions.

Once the auction draft is over, you can pick-up and drop players just like anything else. Unless you set-up an external bidding rule on wire pick-ups. But auction requires more brain time and less "Oh I randomly got fucked on pick selection." More football knowledge, and less luck when it comes to shaping your team. Your strategy of "I'm going after THESE guys" matters because it can't get wrecked simply because you're the 15th pick in a 16 So no one can whine about draft order and what not.

Then this all of course develops rivalries because you'll know who outbid you for those players. Trust me, you'll remember. You'll feel better when you beat them, feel angrier when you lose to them, and all around enjoy fantasy football more.

16. Rumble

Rumble
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Haha that actually sounds pretty sweet. My only concern was post draft pickups and drops and how that affected the auction but it doesn't sound like it does at all. I'll get in on this if you guys need players.

17. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Post draft means nothing. Once you drafted it is just like snail league. UNLESS you work with a system that has bidding on free agents, with money left over from the draft. As far as I know, this is mostly an offline/on-paper/excel thing people do because they're hardcore. But I doubt commissioner Chater wants to do that much work.

18. Renholder

Renholder
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm in. Just had or draft in my friends' league last night. First year getting into fantasy football. Feeling pretty confident with Cam Newton, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, and the bear's defense among others. Need a good perverted team name now. Was deciding between Steel Beef Curtains and Cameltoe Newton but those are both pretty tame compared to some of the shit my friends come up with.

19. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In like Flynn.

20. Rumble

Rumble
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

If you counted me as a maybe then I am a yes. I just didn't want to take a spot from a more regular poster.