Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Now the world don't move to the beat of just one drum...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Beefy Phil, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Not so much a movie with a soundtrack as it is a soundtrack with a movie,

The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

And, crazily enough, the soundtrack to The 5th Element really helped make the move fantastic.

And the soundtrack was composed by Luc Besson, who also wrote/directed the movie.

#41 Nettdata, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. hamshackler

hamshackler
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

So many good soundtracks/theme songs have already been mentioned, so i'm just going to go ahead and give some dap to my favorite john williams theme. Though my avatar/signature would suggest Jurassic Park, I think John Williams' best theme song actually belongs to Hook.

#42 hamshackler, Dec 9, 2009
  3. skelley24

skelley24
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Definitely agree with the contributions of Life Aquatic. Thought this should be added. One, it's a great fucking scene and two, the music is pretty on the nose.

#43 skelley24, Dec 9, 2009
  4. HenryAllenVenture

HenryAllenVenture
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Trainspotting- Renton Overdoses to Lou Reed's Perfect Day

(This is as close as I could find to the actual scene

The use of Massive Attack's Angel to build up the tension in Snatch is just fucking Brilliant:

#44 HenryAllenVenture, Dec 9, 2009
  5. Slambrarian

Slambrarian
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I love the music from "Into the Wild." I thought it was perfect for the movie. Plus, you sually can't go wrong with Eddie Vedder.

Of course, I also used to (ok, I still listen to it sometimes) the soundtrack to "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure." It ruled my junior high life.

And I love love love (most) of the soundtrack to "A Mighty Wind." I love that the actors all played (or learned to play) their own instruments & wrote the songs. Those are some talented folks.

6. Rising Sun

Rising Sun
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Lets get this out the way: you motherfuckers can hate on DBZ as much as you want. Go ahead, send me your rep comments. C'mon KIMaster, bring the hate.

But the one thing that DBZ has that no one can deny is the music (as least in the FUNimation dub):

Case in point, Vegeta's theme song:

When I get an MP3 player, hopefully sometime soon, this will be part of my weightlifting list.

#46 Rising Sun, Dec 9, 2009
  7. Allord

Allord
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The Nightmares of children with a 30" Dildo
    I'm glad no one's mentioned this one yet so I get to.

The BEST intro/theme song/video to a series I have ever seen that so accurately captures the essence of the series in sound and image. The latin swing beat with latin instruments and guitar implying Miami, the foreboding strings' crescendos bringing forth tense nervous energy, the disharmonious squeals bringing to the surface the hidden sinister side, coming together right at the end into a finale that shows no obvious signs of the previous character and all combined with a video of innocent everyday morning routine cut together to bring to mind rending flesh, strangulation, and evisceration. There is no more accurate word to describe this introduction than "Visceral".

I can't watch this intro without a corresponding spike in bloodlust.

Whoever put this together is a genius.

Anti-Focus: This is a great pair of series, and the title sequences are good and interesting in and of themselves, but in both there is a pretty serious disconnect between the title sequence and what the series is actually about.

On the other hand, half of the time is spent looking at a completely inexplicable and totally unrelated pale nude woman in various artful poses with random writing all over her body, and the music is actually pretty awesome, so I suppose I can't really complain.

#47 Allord, Dec 9, 2009
  8. Pink Candy

Pink Candy
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The music from this scene gives me the chills. So hauntingly beautiful.

For those of you that have been on another planet, it's from The Dark Knight.

#48 Pink Candy, Dec 10, 2009
  9. Queen-Bee

Queen-Bee
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=735530419015

I watch the TV show The Cleaner for the same reason that I watch Intervention. Denial.

This clip reveals a newly-clean heroin junkie who is trying to OD because her boyfriend (shown in the B&W flashbacks) was just murdered. Her pain and desperation is amplified by this haunting version of Elton John's Sacrifice, sung by Karmina. My heart just aches for this woman when I watch it.

(Sorry for the shitty quality, but it's the best I could find.)

10. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I have always been a fan of Zimmer, particularly the soundtracks to Crimson Tide and Backdraft, which are remarkably similar, but I used to listen to them while I did my homework in highschool.

Again, since no one has mentioned it, Yo Yo Ma for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon:

#50 Ton80, Dec 10, 2009
  11. Jerebko

Jerebko
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Everything Friday Night Lights does

#51 Jerebko, Dec 11, 2009
  12. Jay-Bird

Jay-Bird
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I have to throw up the music for I Heart Huckabees. The theme song kills, especially when you get to about 1:20. However the music for the whole thing is great.

#52 Jay-Bird, Dec 11, 2009
  13. CYbrosis7

CYbrosis7
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Wow, what a great topic.

These are 2 great examples. Cowboy Bebop is a brilliant anime centered around Mafias, Cowboys and Bounty Hunters, set in the intergalactic future. Set in a 40's Western style it mixes both soul, jazz and even rock. EVEN if you DESPISE Anime, you owe it to yourself to listen to the music, at the very least.

Now words can describe how awesome this opening song is. I love it because its a mix of Led Zeppelin Riffs and matches the spaghetti western style of the show.

#53 CYbrosis7, Dec 11, 2009
  14. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This thread gets to four pages without one mention of The Ecstasy of Gold?

#54 katokoch, Dec 11, 2009
  15. Psk

Psk
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I am surprised that it hasn't been mentioned yet, but one of my favourite soundtracks has to be The Shawshank Redemption's by Thomas Newman. Speaks for itself, really.

#55 Psk, Dec 12, 2009
  16. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm at work so I can't youtube it but the scene featuring Goin' Out West - Tom Waits in Fight Club as they walk down under the bar/restaurant is the single coolest thing I've ever seen.

The Little Green Bag - George Baker scene in Resevoir Dogs is good too. Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones in The Departed is great as well, as has been mentioned.

Oh, the yellow tent scene in The Royal Tenenbaums where the brother professes his love for his (adopted) sister as Ruby Tuesday - The Rolling Stones plays raises the hairs on my neck.

17. Dan

Dan
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I think that the intro to this seasons House was done incredably well. Radiohead's No Surprises is a great choice to be coupled with House checking himself into a psych ward and detoxing from his vicodin addiction...

#57 Dan, Dec 13, 2009
  18. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Doesn't Scorsese use this in all of his movies? I haven't seen The Last Temptation of Christ, but I can certainly picture it: The first few measures, Richards' guitar riff fades in along with the picture on the manger at night, a very forlorn looking Mary and Joseph with their infant. %Oh, a storm is threat'ning, my very life today...% Jack Nicholson stalks in, Roman Centurion brush hat on his head, a small contubernium of soldiers in tow...

Um, anyway. I liked the use of Vangelis' electronic score in The Bounty. It sounds completely out of place for the movie, but sets the mood for any given scene very well. Oh, and no mention yet of David Bowie's Cat People (Putting Out Fire) in Inglourious Basterds? It was completely anachronistic, yet perfect for the scene.

19. himsoforreal

himsoforreal
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Agreed that song has ruined my memory of that film. But weren't they in japan? making them "japanese bitches"?

20. BrotherNumberOne

BrotherNumberOne
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The music in "Usual Suspects" really helped with the whole 'in way over their heads' theme of the film. It kept up the tension & seriouness of the situation of the character's dilemma. Also, Kubrick uses music as masterfully as he does the camera in all his films.