Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Now that's a Kodak Moment

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Moose, Oct 20, 2009.

1. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20180917_092820.2.jpg

Had a little visitor today.

2. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20190207_113645.jpg

From the back of the crane today. Those are frozen water falls that are just coming out of the middle of some rock.

3. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So this guy just came into my shop asking if we had some rope to better tie his camper shell down. Hmmm.... might work better if you put it in actual truck and not a Ford Explorer that someone sawzalled the roof off of. Oh, and the zoomed in pic? Yeah, that's a fucking person back there! I gave her a wave to make sure she wasn't kidnapped or something. She just glared at me and gave me a scowl.

Attached Files:

4. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Even on a crappy, rainy day it's still beautiful up here. (And yes, I had to include my little baby in the shot. The picture needed a little color.)

DSC00029.JPG

5. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    A picture I took earlier today to show my girlfriend the bridge into town (Trust me, if you look hard enough you can see it.) It's kind of hard to get a mile long bridge in a picture.

Also, the tallest hill behind the river is called "Gold Mountain." When I was a teenager I knew the guy that owned the whole mountain and he let me go camping up there whenever I wanted. I spent a lot of my teenage years up there.

DSC00051.JPG

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Northern shore of lake Superior. Hell of a camping spot.

FB95D50C-1778-46BE-98BF-9855E3445688.jpeg C6A4D34C-A181-48E9-A6B4-1C78624C8726.jpeg

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Trans Canada highway had some flooding yesterday.

37AFDF7B-873A-425F-81E5-FA0243E6AB37.jpeg

8. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

85E57B0E-415B-4F32-95D1-717891119592.jpeg
    My father in law in France today. I thought this was pretty cool.

9. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was going through the pictures in my SD card and found this from a few years ago.

I've heard of killing two birds with one stone, but not killing two rats with one trap!

Rats2 - KIMG0433.jpg

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The statue looks like Anthony Bourdain.

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The statue or the rat trap?

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Lmao.

13. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got sent out to work on an amphibious excavator today. My agency is currently expanding the drainage ditches for two different counties, and they are starting where the ditch empties into the bay.
    I had heard talk that there were alligators out there, but I finally got to see some of them today.

Alligator 1.jpg

Alligator 2.jpg
    Those pictures were taken through a pair of binoculars; this is what the area looks like*:

Alligator 3.jpg

*I have wanted to see where the main county drain empties out since I was a kid. It's on a private ranch, and the general public can't get in. That thing that spans the waterway in the above picture is a concrete barrier to keep boats from getting into the ranch. In that frame, you are looking out towards the bay, even though you can't really tell; the channel snakes around. I can post a map if necessary.

This job allows me access to a lot of places I've always wanted to go; if only it paid more.

Oh, and if any of y'all want more pictures of the structures of the Valley's drainage system, let me know.

14. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This new phone takes some pretty good fireworks pics.

Screenshot_20230724_142850_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20230723_110049_Gallery.jpg

15. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Eagle got a hold of a gull today.

eagle.jpg head.jpg

16. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Last week I got a chance to see one of the salt lakes in my area. There are two of them, and they are all on private ranches. One (El Sal Del Rey) is now open to the public, but the other (La Sal Vieja) is still closed off; until now.
    The organization I work for is doing a project in the area*, and we need access. We are enlarging a natural drainage ditch to tie in with the man-made ditches.
    I still had to hike almost a mile through South Texas brushland to get to the lake, but I finally got to see it for the first time. I've been trying to find a way to see this place since I was a kid, looking at some of my dad's land-survey maps.

This is the road going into the lake. Until a few weeks ago, it was completely overgrown with mesquites. All other access roads are private, and locked.

Road.jpg
    This is what it will look like when we're done. That bridge is as far as we have permission to go at this point. I had to hike the rest of the way. Cleaned ditch.jpg
    I'm going to show these in the order I took them, so you can get some kind of idea of what it was like seeing this place. Also, I do need to mention that I was on my lunch break when I did this, and had to be back on time. I plan to go back and take more pictures in the future.

Anyway, after that bridge I mentioned, it's all mesquite brush, and you have to use the ditch (or space in the trees) to keep your sense of direction. I finally got to a point where the salt overpowered the mesquites, and came to an open area, where you can see the natural drainage channel.

5.jpg
    Here's the same channel, further along the bend.
    4.jpg
    And here is a dead buck deer in the water... Somewhere in there. Also, I saw a few live deer along the way. Deer.jpg
    You keep going, and you get to this point, where you can see the lake. 2.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.jpg

I hope to go back and post more pictures, soon.

*There's a lot of things I really like about this job.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That's very cool dude...

18. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How in the hell did I never see the very first post in this thread, about The Glory Hole in Corning NY? That’s about 20 minutes from me and I played there ( music ) a few times over the years when it was open.

19. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Like many things in life, pics don't do it justice. The Sphere is amazing and a must see if you're in Vegas

Attached Files: