Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

No, My Stapler Really Is That Important

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nom Chompsky, May 23, 2013.

1. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah they're totally jealous you're not a lawyer anymore.

3. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Shit. missed funball's post

4. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Said nobody in the diamond wholesale industry EVER. My dad has customers who he has worked with more than 10 years on business totaling over 1-3 million dollars a year who routinely try to screw him to save $4000-$5000. Most immoral people I've ever been around. That's what happens when every company is run by a family that hasn't brought in outsiders in years. Its the equivalent of professional hemophilia. The right people could clean it up and make a KILLING. But once you get below the large scale mining and cutting, there isn't enough money transactionally to be worth it until you get to retail.

Anyone with diamond related questions, business wise, fire away. AKA why the blood diamond is completely overblown and no more worthy of a product boycott than some produce being sourced from illegal workers and thus you avoid bananas or why diamonds themselves are so expensive (absent the "women shouldnt NEED a high priced token of love.), hint, its not purely marketing and inflated demand like its so cool to think.

Why are you the worst people ever? Marketing is evil. Stop making people buy things they don't want. Insert unfunny Bill Hicks rant.

FOCUS:
    I work on a brand team for a large CPG company. People would be shocked to know the consumer data we dig into and use on a regular basis. Not like "oh thats creepy and invasive" but rather, "wow, its amazing how much is stored and categorized and thus used to make the right products available in the right places to people who want them."

5. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So you have two different 800 numbers for print and website? That's part of it right there. The cheapest way would be to have a different 800 number for each media, depending on scale of course, so you can source volume that way. Or you can add a simple survey before or after calls, but the hit rate on those vary.

Bigger agencies usually measure it themselves through more sophisticated tracking, but that would be my recommendation to start out simple.

6. R_Flagg

R_Flagg
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Focus: Does anybody here work as a mason or a butcher? I've helped lay some brick and I've cut up a couple of hogs and deer; and I can see myself being quite happy working full-time in either trade. Whats the best way to break into either occupation?

Alt-Focus: I can answer questions about raising beef cattle if anyone wants to ask something.

7. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do cows really fall over if you push on them when they're asleep?

8. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Marketing When you buy a Facebook data package, how is it formatted? Are peoples names omitted?

9. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: No, My Stapler Really Is That Important

Yes they do.... Guy I know told me

10. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

People are always afraid of their names being used by Google/Facebook/Etc. Your names are absolutely meaningless to marketers. You break down into A/S/L/Career/Relationship Status. After that what you like and who/what you follow. Names would only matter if John's had a higher propensity to buy TVs then Jim's. The fact is they don't, so names are absolutely useless and are never used in data. Plus if it was, all they'd be trying to do is sell you more shit, so if you don't buy it, you're fine.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know if you know this as fact from your job, or are speculating on it, but I have know reason to argue it's not correct. But, it seems to me that if it is correct, marketers are missing out on some fine-tuned statistics. I mean, Biff & Heather would surely be more likely to want information on vacationing in the Hamptons over say J'Marcus & Shaquita.

12. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pharmacists: Can you use Google or Web MD to seriously accomplish your entire job? Is what you do as difficult as practicing medicine? How?

Accountants: Is your job really that boring/difficult, or is it mostly going through the same motions over and over again? The accountant job at my old company was the cushiest job there, because she had developed a program that she literally never had to change. Is this normal, or an exception?

Finance: What the fuck do you actually do? Do you really contribute value, or just siphon money and resources into your suit?

Professors: Is your job all fucking 19 year olds and smoking weed with their boyfriends while wearing a shirt but no pants?

As an aside, does anyone here work in international development or as an expat?

#32 downndirty, May 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  13. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I asked this question in the drunk thread, but I'd like to know. If I, sitting in a restaurant at a group dinner, wanted to have my water secretly replaced with vodka, what's the best way to go about this? Quietly slip a few 20s into the server's hand? Pretend to go to the bathroom and ask them along the way? Also, how many 20s would I need to make sure that I don't get rubbing alcohol instead of vodka?

14. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not speculating. I know for a fact. Names are useless. And that's just hilariously/correctly racist. Racial information isn't available on Facebook and most social platforms. Racial information comes from volunteered information and surveys. If anything, we will track your language but not your ethnicity.

15. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My last name ends in a vowel. Bullshit you can't track my ethnicity.

16. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You can get that information more accurately and less racial-profilingly from location and age than from names alone.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Depends on where in Finance, that's an incredibly broad term. The main areas are Investment Banking, Private Equity, Venture Capital, Trading, Corp. Finance, Consulting, etc.

I do consulting now. Basically help whatever client wants us to do from acquiring another company, cutting costs, building strategies, etc. Lots of PowerPoint presentations and Excel modeling. And traveling. My god the traveling. There's nothing glamorous about it and you initially think your gonna see a ton of different cities, etc but its one conference room at one company after another and staying hotels for multiple consecutive weeks really sucks after a while.

When I did investment banking, I gave a brief synopsis in the Finance thread. It's a soul crushing job where you can make a lot of money and have some misplaced sense of prestige, but its not fucking worth it.

18. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Noland answered the legal question earlier, I'll tackle this one. (I was a lawyer and am now a financial adviser).

So, "Finance" is kind of a huge blanket. Juice talked about the macro stuff. I do micro/personal. I'm a financial adviser and I think I add value. Everything I do is on commission, for one thing, so I don't actually get a direct fee. That aside, here's what I do. I meet with a potential client and discuss their financial status, goals for the future, needs, and concerns. I then take that information and consult with various experts, databases, and managers back at the office. I go back to the potential client with a set of recommendations to get them from point A (where they are) to point B (where they want to be). If they decide to move forward I help them with the paperwork, walk them through any followups, and then conduct annual reviews to make sure they're on track.

People are busy, tired, under educated about personal finance, and not usually millionaires. My job is to take what they have and narrow down the HUGE array of options out there to the optimal ones for their specific circumstances. To make sure their family isn't destitute if a parent dies (life insurance), to make sure they're saving enough for retirement (IRAs, Variable Annuities, etc), that their kids can go to college (529s, cash value in VULs, Whole Life, etc), and so on.

I run interference with underwriters, advocate for clients, educate, meet with them again and again as needed, and in return I make various commission rates based on what product they go ahead with. If any.

I changed careers this year and it's definitely leaps and bounds better than doing document review work as a lawyer, reading corporate emails 8-10 hours a day.

19. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm an expat construction manager. Based out of Abu Dhabi (starting next week); previously Iraq, Kuwait and Afghanistan. Questions?

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But, I didn't say anything at all about race. I'm saying name profiling, not race profiling. You inferred what I was implying simply by the names, and that's what I was getting at. If I google certain things like pizza or autoparts, TiB will pop ads at the top for Papa Johns, Advance AutoParts, etc. Because, people who do that are likely to also want something from those websites. Not that they will - maybe 10% will? What percentage of white people are named J'Marcus? I feel likely it's much less than 10%. So, if names and not races were targeted for race-specific advertising, that seems like that's a thing that should be done. Are you saying that at it's core is racist or would be absolutely viewed as such? Or are you just saying it's a bad idea because of the shitstorm fallout the company would face?

And, I'm not trying to imply race as a negative or any sort of ism, just as race related. Like, people that google for hip replacements or Centrum silver then get ads for those things - that's not age discrimination or anything, it's just age targeted. Yet, they never revealed their actual age in the search.