Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

No girls allowed.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vex, Apr 10, 2011.

1. vex

vex
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I think everyone has a happy place that they can go to when life isn't going as well as they'd like. Some people find peace in food, some in music and some in their tree house where no girls are allowed.

FOCUS: What do you do to find your happy place? Go to the gym? Eat chocolate? Start a fight with a stranger and lose?

2. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Attached Files:

3. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My happy place is in nature. At home that means running down my local trails, nothing makes me happier then seeing cows in the adjacent fields or coming across dear or other critters. That is at home, and living in a suburb of a city is about all I've got. However, I am currently on vacation in areas with more hiking opportunities (yet posting here, so that, my friends is dedication). I am not a morning person but have been getting up early to hike. The physical exertion coupled with the local beauty has been a huge source of calm and tranquility that I find is so rare in my day to day life. Once I win the lottery, I think this is how I will live my life.

4. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lately it's been in a cup of strong black tea. There's something magical about it.

Otherwise, I walk. Depending on where I'm living at a given time, I'll walk through nature if I'm there, but tonight, I walked through the university campus (not that I attend class there anymore). I like the look of the old buildings at night, lit up with those old rustic sodium lamps so that everything's a nice yellowey hue. It's one of the few parts of the city that still looks rather like what it did a hundred years ago, and I really dig that.

5. ASL

ASL
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Climbing somewhere outside is best for me. Usually just me, maybe a good friend, feel of the rock. . . can't beat it.
    When I had a motorcycle it was riding that, going down roads I've never been on, doing whatever I could to get lost and then finding my way home.

6. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's a huge, flat rock up in the woods past my house. It's a hike to get there, and I have to do some rock climbing, but it's worth it.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

On the beaches of the Outer Banks on a beautiful summer day. Nothing else matters at that point.

8. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The healthiest thing I have is going for a beach run. It's only about 3/4ths of a mile, but it's sandy as hell and sucks to run in. I find it really easy to let stuff go and get rid of depressing thoughts when I'm working my ass off just to slowly go forward.

Other than that, drinking is always nice.

9. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

On a ski slope with a board strapped to my feet. I don't care if it is the local hill that sucks a fat donkey cock, or a world class resort in the Rocky's. When that board is strapped to my feet, I literally forget about everything else. I get some sort of relaxing feeling all over my body. It's hard to explain, but I'm guessing all those that have their place know what I'm talking about.

10. Poopourri

Poopourri
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Black tar heroin in my veins, staring wide eyed at a halogen light while slumped against the wall, wondering out loud if this is really heaven because it still sorts of looks like my basement bathroom...

11. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A drug and alcohol treatment facility a few towns over. I'll go sit outside and have some coffee with the drunks and addicts and talk for a while.

Or Wal-Mart.

12. Pinkcup

Pinkcup
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's a used bookstore about 25 minutes from my house that has really comfy chairs, two friendly cats roaming the shelves (they're super friendly and they belong to the owners of the bookstore), and tasteful music played just loudly enough to create ambience but not loudly enough to distract me from whatever novel I've picked up.

There's also a cupcake shop next door.

I'm not saying that I eat my way through a few cupcakes and then plow through a few books every time I get all stressed out and stuff. I mean, the cupcake place is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays so that would be impossible. But it might've happened once or twice.

EDIT: This only applies in the summer, but mowing the lawn is really therapeutic when I'm getting all sweaty and the grass smelling nice...I just pop in my iPod and start making lines. If I'm not destressed by the time I'm finished, I cross-hatch (you know, mow again in an almost perpendicular pattern to the original lines). My Dad thinks I'm being a team player in his quest to one-up the neighbors on lawn maintenance; I feel like my brain took a shower. Win-win.

13. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I vacuum the same way. I will do the entire apartment with the lines one way, then go back with the crosshatch pattern. I don't freak if someone messes it up by walking across it or anything, I just do it to try to sort out my brain.

I live on a beautiful trail, I will go for a run or walk alone with my music to vanish into.

My all time happy place is around horses though. Whether I am riding or mucking stalls, it's my heaven.

14. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

About two hours into a strenuous solo hike my brain stops fighting to process bullshit and kind of shuts off. Then I get to think about positive, worthwhile ideas, pursuits, solutions and appreciate my life.

If only I could do that every day... life would be a whole lot better.

15. Cadders

Cadders
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Boxing.

For stress-relief, I can think of few things more effective than repeatedly punching some guy in the face. Had a crap day of lectures or work? Go boxing and beat the shit outta each other for a few hours. You walk away knackered, bruised and sometimes bleeding, but damn does it feel good - not a care in the world.

16. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Catherine? Great!

17. heideman

heideman
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm the only one that jerks off to relieve stress?

In the 5 minutes it takes I forget about all my problems...

Did I mention in takes 5 minutes? Fuckin time saver - then I can get back to getting shit done

18. Chirpy

Chirpy
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Heated Yoga.

It took a really long time to get my brain rewired to realize that every single session is going to be completely different than the last. At first, not having that control and needing to listen to my body was completely nerve-wracking. But now I find it to be one of the most challenging and relaxing things I've ever encountered. I sweat my ass off, struggle to balance, push myself a little further, and rejoice when I can actually clasp my foot over my head without collapsing. And when it's all over and I leave, it's like my brain is completely cleared of cobwebs. I haven't been able to do it for the longest time because of my satanic job but now that that's over, I'm totally back in business. Plus, my yoga place just ran a special for 40 bucks unlimited visits for a month. If that isn't the universe telling me something, I don't know what is.

That or the beach. Just driving down there, smelling the salt air, passing the Starboard and knowing there's a grapefruit crush waiting for me, and seeing the ocean is the greatest rejuvenator ever. How anyone can pick mountains over water is beyond me.

19. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I go for a run, focusing on my breathing and the pain in my legs distracts me from whatever shit might be going on in my mind. Exercise seems to be a common vein in this thread.

20. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Back when I had my motorcycle, I'd go for a ride. Having to be mentally alert to all the dangers (jackass drivers) around you, you can't really think about whatever was on your mind.