Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

NFL.Com Top 100 Players of 2011

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Dr. Rob, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Dr. Rob

Dr. Rob
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

As many of you know, the NFL Network and NFL.com is compiling a list of the top 100 players for this year, as voted by the players (I think). As of this post, only 1-10 have not been revealed. I personally think it's ludicrous to even attempt to compare Revis to Brady to Jake Long to Calvin Johnson and whatever other positions the league sees fit to pull an "apples to apples" approach. That said, here is what they have so far:

http://top100.nfl.com/

FOCUS: Who is on the list that is undeserving (or is perhaps too high)? Who's been snubbed or is placed too low? Try to keep your personal feelings about the player or team he plays for out of the discussion, if possible (e.g., you may love the Broncos, but don't even think about adding Tim Tebow to this conversation).

ALT. FOCUS (if you haven't seen the top 10): Predict the top 10. The players are fairly obvious, so go for gold and see if you get the order right.

2. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus:

- Aaron Rodgers not making the top 10 is surprising. He's still #11 though, so I wouldn't call it a snub.
    - Philip Rivers is far too low. At the very least, he should be above Michael Vick.
    - Arian Foster has ONE good year, and he cracks the top 25? Seriously?
    - Joe Thomas is better than Jahri Evans, but that's just my opinion. It's easily debatable.
    - Santana Moss had the most YAC for any WR, and is strangely absent. He also had a better catch/target rate than Larry Fitzgerald, Brandon Lloyd, and Brandon Marshall - all of whom made the list.
    - Poor Mike Wallace. Possibly the fastest WR in the NFL, and #2 in yards/reception as a result. Like Moss, he's MIA.
    - Suh and Raji, but no Casey Hampton? Child, please.
    - Dr. Rob's right: FUCK Tim Tebow.

Alt. Focus:

1. Tom Brady
    2. Peyton Manning
    3. Ray Lewis
    4. Drew Brees
    5. Darrelle Revis
    6. Troy Polamalu
    7. Adrian Peterson
    8. Ed Reed
    9. Andre Johnson
    10. Osi Umenyiora

The only other player I can imagine going in Umenyiora's place is Hampton, which would mean one of them would be out of the top 10. Considering the year Osi just had, I can't imagine him falling that low. Then again, Hampton anchors the Steelers' D, so who knows.

3. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In the Sports Weekly they are doing the top 10 at every position. Osi came in at 8th for DE so as big a Giants fan that I am, he is not going to be in it.

I can't believe McNabb is ranked but Eli isn't (Unless he is in the top 10 and that isn't happening).

4. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw that and laughed. Well, not because I think Eli is good. But because it's pretty damn clear that McNabb isn't these days. McNabb also sneaks in ahead of Matt Schaub

Overall, they seem to be giving a little too much respect to older guys who used to be phenomenal.

Defensively...Freeney, Woodson, Seymour, and Raji seem too high. There's no way Freeney is 15, and Mathis 44. If Freeney is better (not sure about that...), then it's a much smaller gap.

Jamaal Charles gets no respect. No one (not even his own coach apparently) is willing to admit how good this guy is.

I think DeSean Jackson is kinda high for someone who has an annoying tendency to disappear.

Asante Samuel is too high. His high pick numbers always cover up his lax attention to coverage.

Greg Jennings should be higher. Same for Jared Allen, Patrick Willis, and Jon Beason.

Where's Ryan Clady? They're seriously leaving him off?

5. Porkins

Porkins
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'm a huge homer, but the fact that Josh Freeman is ranked higher than Matt Schaub is utterly preposterous.

6. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Holy shit! How the fuck did I forget about Julius Peppers?

7. SMUGolfer

SMUGolfer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Thank you. He is Exhibit A-D of why the Bears went 11-5 last year. For what it's worth, the last time the Bears had someone like him was Urlacher circa 04-07. Just a freak of nature athletically.