Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

NFL 2010 Offseason

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by pterodactyl, Jan 20, 2010.

1. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Red Bull and Bacardi O. I've also heard them referred to as Orange Tic Tacs.

2. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The first thing I thought, is that this chick meets him and if he asked her she said she 'didn't have a boyfriend.' When she wakes up the next morning, she has 10 missed calls and screaming voice mails from her boyfriend calling her a whore, and she freaks out. She's young and dumb, 'in love' and if she doesn't call it a rape will lose the man of her dreams that she's supposed to marry, who she forgot about when Big Ben shows up at the bar (what's a 20 year old doing at a bar anyways).

Seneca Wallace being released (and quickly picked up by Cleveland which is a smart grab if you ask me) by the Seahawks, now makes me think that Mr. Tebow will be ending up in Seattle next season. They're both mobile QBs, and with the exception of size, cut from a similar mode. Still hoping he ends up in Buffalo.

3. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This has got to be a tough one to live down in the locker room:

Abeline Christian OT Tony Washington reportedly had sex with his 15-year-old biological sister when he was 16, and is a registered sex offender.
    It's believed the sexual act, which occurred in May 2003, was consensual. "I made a mistake at the age of 16, and for that, I am deeply sorry," Washington said in a statement. "I will not try and excuse or justify anything." Washington, who might be a first-round prospect based on size, length, and athleticism alone, was originally a big recruit at LSU. He originally received five years' probation and no jail time. Washington is reportedly now on good terms with the sister.

At least theyre on good terms now.

Sounds like they were on pretty good terms before too...

4. graffin226

graffin226
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Seattle's been calling the Eagles 'non-stop' asking about a QB. They'll take McNabb, or Kolb, but they really only want Kolb. Eagles are saying it'll take a 1st and something else for McNabb, and 2 number 1s for Kolb.

5. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I want to preface this with the fact I am not in anyway a Gator fan, I actually have Seminoles in my family. However, I'm a huge Tebow fan. I've literally seen EVERY snap the man has ever taken, and Saturdays will not be the same anytime soon. The will and determination the man posses is indescribable. I was a huge fan of him his freshman year, when he was essentially subbed in to run the QB draw knocking the shit out of anyone in his way, and despite the obvious play call no one could stop him. He's a winner when all is said and done, with that 'it' factor few players posses. He dominated the college game, and while there's a HUGE difference from college to pro, ALL players must make this transition. All his detractors love to point out he's not gonna be able to run over the competition like he did in college, but I'll take the guy that could dominate at the college level like he did chance over any other player in the draft.

Marshall Faulk has a great segment on LT2 on NFL Access today. Essentially he talks about what it was like to be phased out by Steven Jackson in St. Louis, and what players have to do to adapt to a lesser role.

Derek Anderson didn't leave Cleveland with a good taste in his mouth for the fans. Maybe he just never met Sumo Dawg?

6. Nohik

Nohik
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I hope it´s appropriate to post this here and sorry for not knowing the appropriate lingo. I have been catching the odd match of football for a couple of years and I definitely find the game entertaining but I have never really got all that into it. Probably because I can´t pick a team to follow. I was hoping that someone here might help me with that.

1. I´d rather avoid teams that get a lot of bandwagon jumpers and that have been winning recently. So no Patriots, Colts, Steelers or Cowboys but still successful enough to get in the playoffs (Id rather not watch a team that loses all the time. My local team and national soccer team are horrible so I get enough of that already.) Maybe a team that seems to be building well and looks to have a great future ahead.

2. I still have a thing for teams that have been tortured though. Teams that make you feel like this is going to be your year in the beginning of the season but then brutally rip your heart out every year after getting all your hopes up.

3. I find it a lot cooler if someone takes several hits and still keeps going instead of someone throwing a long long pass. I like seeing clever rushing plays more than passing football.

4. I love teams with a never-say-die attitude. Both on the field but also fans who are always behind the team no matter how bad they are doing.

5. Preferably a blue collar team if there is such a thing in the NFL.

7. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Baltimore Ravens fit the best. Power running game, up and coming team, historically great defenses. NY Jets, Miami Dolphins, all fit too.

8. Nohik

Nohik
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Ray Rice looks fun to watch and also I forgot to mention that I do like good defense over offence.

9. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If winning a Super Bowl within the past decade counts as "tortured", I don't even know what you could call us. I'm with you on the Dolphins though. They'd be another solid pick based on what he posted.

Edit:
    Obviously I'm biased here, but we just added another great cornerback (if he can learn to tackle) to a defense that should be boasting the league's defensive MVP from least season. Depending on how the meeting with LaDanian go tomorrow, the Jets might have themselves a solid 3rd down running back in a backfield that already features Greene and Washington.

Then again, the fact that things are looking bright for next season probably mean we're in for a 5 or 6 win year.

10. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It goes against my own NFL allegiance to say this, but the Chiefs could be a viable option, based on your criteria. They got Scott Pioli last year, so they should build well for many years. Tortured? Perhaps: their last AFC Championship appearance was a loss in 1993, and their only Super Bowl win was in 1969. Jamaal Charles is a great young RB set for a few Pro Bowl appearances (it wouldn't surprised me if he goes as soon as this season), and they just signed Thomas Jones who's coming off a career year. As for points 4 & 5, here's what Wikipedia has to say:

11. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sigh. Ben is a real idiot. Anyway... article.
    Basically it's a pretty good run-down of possible charges from sexual assault to sexual battery under Georgia law. At the bottom is also a blurb that is confirmed by other news sources where Ben states that he had "contact" with the girl but nothing was "consummated." She then slipped and hit her head. I guess we'll subsequently find out just what this "contact" was.

This instance is a bit different from the one in Tahoe (Tahoe feeling much more like a "set-up" to me because this girl in Georgia actually went immediately to the police and the hospital.

Guilty or not, he has to stop putting himself into stupid situations (motorcycle sans helmet, Tahoe, Georgia, bursting appendix). There is no reason for a 28 year old 2-time Super Bowl winner to be partying at an under-21 club. Well I can guess the reason, but come on man.

Another problem with this whole incident is that it's taking attention away from the fact that the Steelers have done pretty well in free agency so far. Re-signing Clark was somewhat unexpected and very welcome. I like picking up Battle and Randel El too. Best of all, it means that Limas Sweed can go drop passes for some other team.

12. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Based on the parts I bolded, I'd say we have a new Buffalo Bills fan. They are a running team, play in shit weather, never won a Super Bowl, and one of only a handful of teams to go 7-1 and not make the playoffs year before last. Really can't think of a more 'blue collar' fan base fitting your criteria. Any team that looks like it's going to be a winner sooner than later, will likely become a band wagon team, no way around it. That doesn't mean a team will become a dynasty though, first to worst isn't uncommon.

Does anyone take anything this guy says seriously. That is a HORRIBLE idea. Buffalo has been taking chances on QBs since Bledsoe left, and it's been a pile of shit behind center every time. God help us, but I think this guy just needed to add a few more lines to his column.

13. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I mistakenly put the Bills went 7-1 instead of 5-1 in my previous post, thanks for the catch Rob, wishful thinking I guess.

Jason La Canfora reports T.O. possibly going to Oakland? I swear this guy picks a players name, then throws a dart at a list of NFL teams.

He he, McNabb traded to San Fran.

The Browns are making moves I would have had more faith in 3 years ago. I really liked Fujita, going all the way back to his KC days, but he's getting a little long in the tooth. I think their busts this year are guys that had potential to be great, as opposed to the previous standard of guys that have potential to be great (only to wind up burning out and landing in the AFC West).

14. Uziel

Uziel
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I know it's not headline news but does anyone have any opinions on the Niners picking up Carr? I have been a Shaun Hill fan since he started with the Niners so it sucks that they've told him he can seek a trade somewhere. I know Smith isnt the best QB out there but I just cant see Carr starting for us.

15. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You got your wish. Delhomme to the Browns for two years. He'll make $7 mil this year, IN ADDITION to the $12.5 million the Panthers still owe him.

You read that right. Jake Delhomme is a $20 million/year quarterback. That's almost as many interceptions as he threw in an 11 games last year.

16. whatisinaname

whatisinaname
    Expand Collapse
    Hoping to be even a fraction of the man Jim is.

I really don't understand the Browns. Didn't they watch the last 17 weeks of his film? I'm no fan of Quinn, but I wouldn't write him off just yet. And 7mm for Jake with no backup now? Seriously...?

17. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Like Carr or not, he's been around the block. He's been sacked 265 times and keeps getting up. That experience and being able to push on after being labeled a first round bust, I think speaks volumes of his character, that has probably been whats kept him around in the NFL. He doesn't have that intangible spark that guys like Manning or Brees have, but you gotta imagine that having become a journey man at this point in his career, the guys a pro holding a clipboard on the field and off as well. There's definitely a huge place for someone like that on any team, but maybe Frank Reich being one of my all-time favorite QBs has made me biased.

I don't think the Niner's want to take the time to develop Hill. He's got decent trade value to go with the decent amount of potential he's got, but as with any player, they know some things we may not. He's had his chance in San Fran, and Smith apparently is still their man.

Cleveland signs Dehomme, further my previous point about them signing players past their prime. Letting Quinn go to Denver, is part of the old regime that let the players that had potential go to the AFC west.

18. Ryan Leaf

Ryan Leaf
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I honestly think the Browns got the better end of this deal. Hillis, albiet in limited action, as proven that he is a very effective power back and a good receiving threat out of the backfield. It is early to get rid of Quinn, however the cajun will be a good mentor to whoever they pick up in the draft.

19. FoamyBologna

FoamyBologna
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

As a Browns fan let me say to any Broncos fans: Quinn got no shot here. He had the first year to sit the pine and learn, great. Second year he was embattled in a QB controversy with Anderson, got inconsistent opportunities and then injured. Last year, he was pulled after 2 games, in which he didn't play terribly. When he returned, he wasn't bad and had a spectacular game against the Chargers. Then he got hurt, blah blah.

I really don't think that Quinn is that bad. He has had such limited opportunities that in the right system he could probably be pretty good. It does say a lot that the Browns basically gave him away but who knows. He could surprise. I hope he does.

20. whatisinaname

whatisinaname
    Expand Collapse
    Hoping to be even a fraction of the man Jim is.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest here, but I just don't think that the Browns have any clue how to develop any player, let alone a QB. I'm not trying to pimp Quinn, but no way in hell was he allowed to mature into anything, let alone a NFL QB.

And you stating that "it says a lot that the Browns basically gave him away" is highly tempered with the fact of who they signed and the price they paid. We'll see, and the Browns have awesome fans, but thank God they have patience and the Wonderlic score of Vince Young...all due respect, sir.