Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

NFL 2010 Offseason

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by pterodactyl, Jan 20, 2010.

1. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

As a Nebraska fan its awesome that Suh is most likely going to go first.

With that said, if you're the Rams do you keep that pick? The Rams have used 2 of their last 3 1st round picks on D-Linemen, if you're the Rams do you take the can't miss that Suh is going to be or do you trade down for more picks and get some help for Jackson on offense? If you trade down and get say 3 picks, a 1st round, and two 2nds, you grab your QB with a low first or 2nd and get a couple Olinemen or WR's to help out.

2. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I can't see Eric Berry falling that far, he's far too good to drop out of the top 5 -- let alone the top 10 -- in my opinion.

As a Packers fan, I would love to see Spiller be picked over Best (as McShay's mock drafts have). I could envision Spiller as a MJD-type of back in the Packer offense, and he would provide a huge boost in the return game. However, if somehow, someway Berry, Earl Thomas, or Haden slip that far, I would want to jump on one of them in a heartbeat.

3. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What's the general opinion on Rolando McClain? Most Denver fans are foaming at the mouth at the thought of having the guy, but what is the likelihood that he falls that far?

Same for Tim Tebow (minus the Denver fans coveting part). If he could be had in the 2nd round, should a team in need of QB help take him? I can't really understand all the Tebow hate from a talent perspective (although the media needs to take its collective mouth off of his John 3:16 penis). The one thing that sticks out about me is that he's a winner, through and through. A born leader, if you're willing to take it that far. Guys with his intangibles are hard to find.

4. theking23

theking23
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Generally the knocks on him are he's never (extremely rarely) taken a snap under center, he has a long throwing motion, and a low release.

5. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Where does everyone think the top QBs will go in this draft? I've seen mock drafts where Bradford doesn't go until the end of the 1st, and I've seen some where the Redskins take him early. I've also seen mock drafts where Clausen is taken early, and some where he's not even in the first round. Is it me or does this draft seen incredibly uncertain for QBs taken?

6. theking23

theking23
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I think both Bradford and Clausen will be in the Top 15-20, maybe Top 10. I don't want the Redskins to take a QB first, but I think they will, probably Bradford. I think they should take an OT instead since the line is horrendous, but who knows.

7. shake n bake

shake n bake
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Terrence Cody is this years Andre Smith

Not Safe for Eyes
    [​IMG]

weighed in at 370lbs. Even most guys destined to be that big as 3-4 NTs come into the league 40-50lbs light than that.

8. zyang31

zyang31
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=NFL&id=5789

I think we now know who the Oakland Raiders are drafting this year with their first pick.

9. barney

barney
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

The thing that has always had me wondering about the combine, is why don't they have the players doing these drills in their full game day equipment? I think the 40 yard dash should be run in full pads, from a standing start, with a football in their hands. That's about as close as you can simulate an actual game situation. Running a 4.2 is awesome, but if you run a 4.35 in equipment (still pretty damn fast) the original time is kind of irrelevant. Especially since a lot of teams place so much stock in speed, you'd think they would want as fair a reflection of reality as they could get.

10. shake n bake

shake n bake
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Joseph Addai is a very good example of that. He ran a 4.40 at the combine, but minus maybe 1 play a season where he gets open field in front of him on a dumpoff or splits out and takes a WR screen you never see anything like that speed. He has 1 career run of over 30 yards in 861 attempts. It's not just pads vs no pads, he runs a totally different way. If you watch him with the football he makes nearly as much side to side motion as he does forward progress. When he's on it works amazingly (wait for the endzone angles) when he's not he just dances around going nowhere. Either way he doesn't have 4.40 speed doing it.

11. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

PRO-BOWL

I always thought that the Pro-bowl players were voted on by the players and coaches. I was wondering how in depth does that go (does every player on the roster vote??, Do special teams coaches vote?)

You also can't help but think that certain athletes would not vote for each other simply out of spite or vote for players who went to the same school as the person voting or even play on the same team.

It would make sense in supporting the "snubs" every year. This year I can't understand how Jason Witten made it over the Eagles tight end Brent Celek. My guess is that the players voting just have more respect for JW, and feel Witten was the better player and more difficult to play against, because statistically it doesn't fit.

My question is how do they keep it fair?

12. shake n bake

shake n bake
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Caught the tail end of the senior bowl, couple thoughts.

Tebow will be a disaster if anyone tries to start him without fixing his throwing motion/slow release. He'll get stripped of the ball a ton if he keeps throwing like that. The north linemen got him on that on back to back drives in the 4th quarter.

Sean Weatherspoon, Daryl Washington and Koa Misi were impressive.

LeFevour hit a beautiful deep TD to Marty Gilyard.

Brandon Graham is a beast. Sure none of the 1st round tackles were there, but he was totally unblockable against the 2nd tier guys. Somebody's getting a hell of a pass rusher in him.

13. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

A Buffalo Bills fan's off-season wish list:
    -Donovan McNabb. I hear LOTS of talk on the radio about him, but no mention of him in Buffalo really. What's my angle on this? He went to Syracuse, rather than boo him, western New Yorkers will be happy to have him back.
    -Mike Vick. Not even having the argument here of morals and ethics. No one has more to play for or to prove. With this O-line, he'll either be out by week 4 or rushing for 1,000 yards. There's a better chance I think of getting Owens to stick around, having stated in the past he wants to play with Vick.
    -Tim Tebow. I'll wait till I see him on an NFL field before drinking the Kool-Aid of the 'his mechanics suck' bandwagon. I love the guy, he plays with heart, he's a winner, he pulls his team together around him. Besides, after the Bledsoe/Holcombe/Losman/Edwards/Fitzpatrick/Brohm era, how much worse can it get? Everyone says going to the NFL is a whole new game, I'd rather have someone that dominated at the college level, seeing as all the guys coming out of college is in for a whole new game. Someone that sucked versus college defenses is not gonna magically find the pros easier. People have been waiting to shit on this guy, and this is really the first chance they've had. If Gruden, Dungy and even Rex Ryan say he's got a shot, I'll go with that.
    -Trade Lynch if this is an uncapped year. I won't even lie, I have a Beast Mode jersey. But, the guy is the testament to the problems of having Ralph Wilson too close to personnel decisions.
    -Does anyone know when Travis Henry is up for parole?
    -Defensive Free-Agents. Wilfork, Seymour and Peppers are all out there. Give Schobel and Stroud some help, Schobel is talking retirement.
    -Draft O-Line first couple rounds! Ive seen SI.com (Banks) and ESPN (Clayton) saying Buffalo will draft Claussen first round... are they high?

Absolute BEST guy to listen to, from Favre coming back (when ALL the reports said he was done) to predicting the Super Bowl, is LaVar Arrington. He's got a show from 2-6 on 106.7 the fan which you can stream online (who by the way predicts success for Tebow). It's Redskins slanted, but he covers all the issues.

14. Dr. Rob

Dr. Rob
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I can't see Clausen slipping past either the Rams or Redskins. The experience in the pro-style offense should carry him through. And a few people have pointed out that other than Drew Brees, 2nd Round QB success is minimal. They both need to pull the trigger on a QB sooner rather than later.

15. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Why am I NOT surprised that the Bungles signed Matt Jones step in to fill the void left by Chris Henry's unfortunate passing... The fact they didn't sign 2011 UFL mega-star Pac Man Jones did.

16. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AsH8qxhnshruyXlG2iAa37YdsLYF?slug=ap-steelers-salarycap&prov=ap&type=lgns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns</a>

Steelers impose their own salary cap for 2010. I wonder how many teams are going to do something similar until a CBA is reached.

17. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/source-stallworth-to-sign-with-ravens-329022.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/ ... 29022.html</a>

Stallworth going to the Ravens. Aside from his year off, I find it interesting that he's played for the Saints, Browns, Eagles, Pats and now Ravens since 2002.

18. goodfornothing

goodfornothing
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

As a Ravens fan I like to see the front office making moves to fix our problems. I'm sure our opposing fans will have a field day with this, they already give us enough grief about Ray Lewis' murder thing, Jamal Lewis and his coke, etc. -- I can't even imagine what it will be like now.

19. whatisinaname

whatisinaname
    Expand Collapse
    Hoping to be even a fraction of the man Jim is.

This is where some people (not this poster) hold these players to a standard beyond what I was held to when I was this age. Football has, in my opinion, the strictest player discipline rules in American sports. It’s easier to be fined, suspended, or barred in the NFL than in any other major sport.

Stallworth has huge flaws in his personal life, but a Judge, the family (after 3 million dollars), and the commissioner have said he paid his debt to society. What more can he do? I’m happy he has a chance to redeem himself. Even Vick; while I don’t root for him, I don’t root against him. I want my team to field the best players possible, even if that means a second chance. I cannot help but think if I was 20 something, with millions in the bank, the dumbass shit I’d do.

20. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Chargers release LT.