Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

New Years Plans - 2011/12

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nettdata, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm not a big New Years fan. I used to work in bars for years, and to me New Years is nothing more than a BS excuse for amateur drinkers to go out and be annoying and require huge amounts of babysitting. One. Big. Headache.

I just roll my eyes when I see the typical night club charge stupid cash for $2 worth of party favours and a cold cut buffet, never mind staying open for an extra few hours to ensure that everyone is GOOD and blitzed.

Not my scene.

I prefer to just hang out with a couple of good friends and have a nice dinner at home, with a bottle of wine or 7.

This year I'm going to be in Toronto, and have opted to go out to a nice jazz/blues club for a quiet, low-key New Year's Eve dinner with a good friend. It'll be a nice excuse to get dressed up and go do that classy/fun thing with some nice live music.

FOCUS: What are your NYE plans? Are you one of those people that go Full Retard for NYE, or prefer to just stay in and away from the chaos?

2. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]
    We'll be here in one of the thatch-roof hotels, roasting meat and learning to surf, with a few visiting friends & family. Fuck snow.

3. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm going to go hang out with all my friends and my FWB.

That's code for sitting on my ass at home jerking off

4. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll be working, as always.

At the stroke of midnight, my fellow cooks and I will raise a pint and celebrate yet another new year spent in a hot, cramped kitchen.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

5. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am going to DC for a wedding which is on NYE. Its supposed to be this huge fancy affair at The Willard, if anyone has heard of it. I'm pretty excited because I have never been to a wedding this expensive before.

6. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have no idea what I'm doing yet. The only thing I'm sure about is that I'm going to avoid the bars this year. Getting a drink on New Year's is like playing line backer. One year I was out the amateurs were running around jumping on each other screaming happy new year for three hours after the ball dropped. It was like watching a commercial being rewound and played over and over again. Then they started puking. No thanks. Yeah, I think I'll be sticking to a house party. Maybe whip up the death mix known as ever clear cider. 25% strong and you can barely tell the difference between normal cider.

7. mad5427

mad5427
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I was never a fan of clubs, etc. for New Years. I always preferred a night with a small group of close friends drinking very good alcohol and playing board games or just having good conversation.

Things have gotten even more tame since the arrival of our little one. We'll probably spend the day at a local park if warm enough or just find something fun to do with the kid. We'll cook a nice dinner, play with the kid somemore, then we'll just probably watch a movie or so, toast at midnight if we make it that long. When the baby is older and can stay up longer we'll probably start hanging out with friends again.

Last year our baby was only a handful of months old and we were still up quite a bit each night. We both were out by 9 or so and then woke up with the baby sometime middle of night. All in all it was surprisingly pretty fantastic to welcome a new year rocking a little one.

Sorry this is so lame, but I'm sure I'm not the only one with plans like this. It's also really expensive to go all out. I'd rather put that money towards a nice bottle of scotch or other type of whiskey and maybe a good bottle of sparkling wine.

8. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was going to do my usual "mock the prescribed societal norms" thing, but this would be fucking sweet.

No idea what I am going to do, but it will probably be lame and uninteresting if I'm lucky.

9. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm going to NYC this year for the week leading up to New Year's. Also hopefully trying to arrange a TiB meet up that week. But we'll see how that goes.

My normal NYE thing has been to spend it with my mom's side of the family making traditional Dutch NYE deep-fried food. It's the only time of year I get to eat it, and my friends were usually back home over Christmas break anyways. Frankly, most of the appeal of NYE was lost after I started staying up past midnight on a regular basis.

10. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not positive what I'll be doing for NYE. The girlfriend is flying up to see me in Denver on the 29th. We'll spend a few days hanging out and visiting some friends and maybe tour a brewery or two. After that we'll be spending a few days snowboarding in Breckenridge. The only thing that is absolutely certain for NYE is booze.

11. uzisuicide

uzisuicide
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The wife and I and some other couples have a cabin rented in the mountains. We'll drive up, build a fire, cook food, and drink heavily for the weekend. Should be uneventful, which is perfect.

I wouldn't be caught dead in a "club" on a regular night, much less New Year's. #oldguyrant

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We've been making trips to the respective bowl games Cincy has been to in the past few years. This year it is Memphis. Should. Be. Interesting....

13. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I love New Year's. It's my second favorite holiday. It always really bothers me when people dislike it because "there are such high expectations to have such a great New Year's, and then it's never as fun as you were hoping." How is that different from every single other holiday? I will never turn down an excuse to get dressed up and go out and have a fun time. I'm not interested in the super frantic club scene either, but there are more options than that. This will actually be my first New Year's in the city, even though I could've spent it here for the past three years. But my friends have all been content to just stay in our small hometown since we were there for Christmas anyway and just hang out at someone's house. They've been perfectly pleasant, but boring as hell. I don't have specific plans yet, but I'm good at finding things to do, so hopefully something will work out.

14. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, barf all you wanna. IT'S GONNA BE AWESOME.

15. taste_my_rainbow

taste_my_rainbow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll be at a wedding too. I think it's a strange date to get married but whatever - I'll gladly get shitfaced on her daddy's dime.

16. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm going to New Orlean's for my first vacation in my drinking era. I cannot fucking wait. I can't wait to eat a ton of seafood, get fucked up and walk around. I just can't wait. The 14 hour drive is going to be interesting, but I cannot fucking wait.

17. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

Having a party at my house. Party theme will be 'Suit Up' with a series of How I Met Your Mother jokes running through the evening (Slap bet commisioner, scheduled high fives, best suit contest, etc). Will be jelly wrestling for sure - trying to arrange a midget to high five people at the door. Had an actor booked to do it - but he flaked. Little bastard.

should be a fun night. And at my house, so music I like and no hassle getting home afterward.

18. Judas

Judas
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm gonna hit up the clubs, buy a bunch of jaegerbombs, and then fist this fuckbuddy of mine on the stroke of midnight.

Or I might be staying in because at 5:30 in the morning on the 1st I have a plane to catch to Oregon so I can go snowboarding for a week. Fuck yes.

19. MadDocker

MadDocker
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Get drunk, get naked. Everything else is pretty much gravy.

20. Moose

Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm heading up to Portland, Maine to see moe. play on 12/30 and 12/31 at the State Theater.

4 of us did the same thing last year, but in Boston at the House of Blues, and the whole weekend was just one awesome shitshow.