Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

New Philalawyer.net Website

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Philalawyer, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Philalawyer

Philalawyer
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

First a note of thanks to everyone here for all the support, comments and discussions back on the old board. It's great to see the community continuing here, as it'd be a damn shame to see it evaporate, given the unusual cross section of viewpoints informing the unique dialogue there.

In that same vein, this post is an update regarding the new home of Philalawyer.net. I'm off Rudius and, like Shrinktalk and HollywoodInterrupted, I'm on a new server, running a new Wordpress-based format. The architecture's great so far and I'm working with Donika again, who was my original editor when I started at Rudius. We're hoping the new site will be more user friendly, with the serial stuff categorized linearly for easier reading, and the different categories of material (Serials, Essays, Rambling Tirades, Drunken Gibberish, etc...) broken down for easier consumption.

It's raw right now and we're still in the process of transferring a mountain of data, including comments, and getting the graphics in place, so if you go there, it will not look like much. But I anticipate all the material will be up by the weekend and I'll be able to start posting new stuff shortly thereafter. One of the first things I'll be doing is a joint piece with Dr. Rob.

Going forward, I don't have any promises to make beyond this - that it's my intention to continue writing exactly the way I have for the past four years. If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or place a comment at Philalawyer.net.

Oh, and thanks, Chater, for letting me put this up.

SH Edit:Here is a link.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Good to still have you around, the book was one of my favourite reads of last year (without a doubt the most entertaining). I read it while I was in the hospital (my daughter was born VERY early) a year ago. It's a royal pain in the ASS to find in Canada, so I had to end up ordering it from the States.

Squirrel fucker.

3. 9iron

9iron
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Great news. Loved the book, loved the old site. I graduated from college in May, and your "Commencement 2009" piece and some of your other posts around that time really helped to put shit in perspective for me, so thanks. Can't wait to see what you come out with next, best of luck.

4. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been meaning to start reading your stuff, but never had the time for an archive binge and now seems like a good time to get started [and to eventually buy your book]

Hope the transfer goes as painless as possible.

5. clb

clb
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Unique dialogue is one way of putting it. Glad to see you're still up and running.

6. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You can even get Chapters to ship it to the nearest store to you (or, yknow, just order it from Chapters' site like I just did)

7. Philalawyer

Philalawyer
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Yes. I've noticed over the past couple years that I like writing the dialogue of a situation more than anything else. So one of the things I'm going to do is try to write a movie script (I have the outline done) online in installments. It might work, might not. But I think I have a solid concept and I think right now, for reasons I can't explain, I'm able to write good dialogue. Don't know where the skill emerged, but it seems to be clicking. And it is a natural next step. The cool thing would also be that people could read it and offer thoughts as it goes.

But as to the organization, I want to create a set-up where we have the serial stuff from the past in an easy to read format, one piece to the next, following one another chronologically in the archive. I wasn't nuts about how all the stuff was together and out of sync on the old site. That may take some time, but we'll get there.

8. Philalawyer

Philalawyer
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

That's a shame, because Canadians really seemed to dig the book. I got tons of emails and shitloads of traffic from Canada... In fact, I think a Canadian is supposed to do a review for a major college newspaper up there next week.

Canadians, Australians, Brits, Kiwis and the Dutch make up the majority of my readership, in that order, following Americans.

9. Philalawyer

Philalawyer
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Try the book first. And I don't say that to make a sale. It's just easier. Borrow it from somebody.

10. Philalawyer

Philalawyer
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

It's quite unique. The RMMB board had one of the oddest collections of posters I've seen anywhere. There was no common thread, which made the thing wildly unpredictable. You had college sophomores posting alongside CPAs and law firm partners and people with all sorts of different interests jammed together in conversations. Usually, boards tend to self segregate down to certain people who only talk about certain shit. RMMB had, and this place now has, people who don't fit molds so easily. You can't easily locate the place's ethos, which keeps it interesting.

11. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're my favorite writer from Rudius and I look forward to reading your new stuff whenever you post it.

I decided to give your book along with a bottle of bourbon to my friends this year for x-mas.

I think the two go great together.

12. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Your site was definitely my favorite of them all, including tuckermax (especially because it's never updated).

Can we ever expect to see your face?

13. Philalawyer

Philalawyer
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Thanks. I can't do the face right now, but you can hear me being interviewed here: http://www.94wysp.com/pages/3279845.php (Make sure you're on the "Danny Bonaduce" page, then go to "Podcasts," and scroll down to "Bonaduce 102709 8AM, Entertainment, The Philadelphia Lawyer." I come in about halfway through the podcast.)

And here: http://bit.ly/1XiWdU (This one's long and in depth, but has some great points in it [thanks mostly to the interviewer, who was fantastic])

14. Philalawyer

Philalawyer
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Exactly how Jesus intended it.

...Along with a copy of "Let it Bleed."

15. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Glad to see you made it here. I'm very much looking forward to whatever new stuff you put out.

Your voice isn't bad. Ever think about doing a weekly podcast of political and social commentary, guerilla radio style? I don't listen to podcasts, but I'd listen to that, and I'd tell other people to listen, too.

16. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've always wondered: if you were to eventually show your face and/or use your real name, would there be any concern over former colleagues figuring out that you wrote about them at some point? Or is that precisely why you use a pseudonym?

Sorry if that was a stupid question.

17. Philalawyer

Philalawyer
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Oh yeah. The jokes in that book are aimed at a whole lot of people who absolutely no sense of humor, and make a living out of scumming cash out of people. The pseudonym was chosen by the publisher, though, and mostly for marketing reasons. Synergy with the website.

There are no stupid questions. And even if there were, that wouldn't be one of them.

18. Philalawyer

Philalawyer
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I actually emailed Dr. Rob about that last night. He and I are doing a piece called "Is America Psychologically Devolving?" I think stuff like that could be put into a podcast. I'd also like a platform from which to rant in real time.

19. Dyson004

Dyson004
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

You and Dr. Rob are my favorite writers from Rudius. Good shit. I'm glad you survived and I hope the transition goes smooth.

20. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was reading a collection of Kingsley Amis' writings on drinking and it reminded me of your treatises on gin and bourbon. If I recall correctly, I think you said you were doing another installment on vodka. Though I've never drank bourbon and can't do gin (a result of too many Tom Collins too quickly), and the job pre-empts me from drugs, I really enjoy your writing on them. There are plenty of writers who unaplogetically enjoyed and advocated alcohol, but (and I admit I'm not too well-read) I've yet to find anything that really relishes being fucked up and conveys the experience to the reader, even if I have no idea what it's like to be on coke. I'm looking forward to trying some of that bourbon once I finish this bottle of Glenfiddich.

Also, your blooped-out swearing in that podcast sounds inexplicably hilarious.