Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

New Horizons and the Future Beyond (Space Stuff)

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Juice, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Makes sense.

And I never even thought to go look at the Wikipedia page. Ha!

2. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My new favorite saying Elon talking about SN10 blowing up "rapid unscheduled disassembly"

3. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, makes you want to say it, doesn't it? Like I want to use it in its proper context. Sadly, I don't have anything that gets blown to bits as often as he does, or, well, ever.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Speaking of Starlink, some shit arrived today:

DF7B7358-D336-4225-9960-F74E19BFA7DB.jpeg 16DD44E2-3D4B-497B-8EEA-0DB8A35F7B81.jpeg C2515A0B-2538-4A16-9F39-5EBAE74771C4.jpeg

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

They have really tried to make this idiot proof.

Everything comes prewired in the box.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It’s snowing and raining tomorrow so I’m going to do an install on Wednesday.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Turns out there’s a shit-load of mechanical adjustment for the dush.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

He then sent the dish to someone else for more advanced phased array / RF reverse engineering:

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Even more good news for StarLink... it's amazing how normal they are making this re-usable rocket thing. Never mind the landings.

Also just got notified that the Starlink dishes are now able to hop between sats to use the one with the best signal, whereas they were initially programmed to only use 1 specific sat.

That's one step closer to being wired in from the Airstream in a remote park somewhere.

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 2.35.30 PM.jpg

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

11. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

13. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One goes over me, too. I feel safer that life has painted a big target on your ass, though.

14. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Two of the blue lines intersect basically on top of my house

15. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm still not giving up ROTN for you in the mashed idiot pool.

16. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How many Elon Musk fanboys do we have here?

I know you're out there, I've seen some of y'alls posts in the past:

"The Cybertruck is so fucking rad! I can't wait to throw my Silverado in a dumpster!"

"Elon is going to release fully autonomous trucks SOON! He didn't say exactly when, but it's going to be SOON!"

"Did you see Elon smoke weed with Joe Rogan? LOL! What a character!"

"Elon's space probe looked like R2D2! That's cool, because lots of people like Star Wars shit, and so if I say I like it, they might think I'm cool by extension."

"Did you know that Elon's cum tastes like strawberry soda? And it wipes right off your face and doesn't leave any residue!"

Well this is the kind of shit that Elon Musk is up to these days:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/elon-musk-spacex-rocket-boca-chica-texas-starbase-11620353687

Space X is trying to get rid of all the residents of Boca Chica Village, a small neighborhood on Boca Chica beach (Space X launch site).
    Their first step is to try lowballing the residents for their homes; can you believe the fucking balls on that prick? He's the second richest man in the world trying to haggle like an Arab trader.

When that doesn't work, they start with the harassment.

Before anyone says "But that's Space X, Bandit, not Elon!"

ELON MUSK HAS A FUCKING HOUSE IN THAT NEIGHBORHOOD. I have a hard time believing that he's that unaware (although he may be too baked to notice).

For the residents who still won't budge, it looks like he is going to try making his own town (made up of Space X employees), and then use the power of eminent domain to get them evicted.

And guess what? Mr. Cybertruck just "GAVE" the city of Brownsville* TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS THIS PAST MONTH.

For "renovations to the downtown district," he said.

Did y'all know that the politicians in Brownsville are as crooked as a dog's hind leg? Because they are.
    If Musk wants to make his own town, what do y'all think the odds are that they will grant him permission?

I'm going to say the same thing about Elon Musk that I said about Bill Cosby and my 8th grade math teacher**: There's something up with that guy, and I don't trust him.

FUCK ELON MUSK. He needs to get his stuttering, autistic ass out of Texas.

*Nearest city to Boca Chica beach, and the county seat of Cameron county.
    **A few years after I had his class, he was convicted for fucking one of his students.

#516 dixiebandit69, May 8, 2021
    Last edited: May 8, 2021
  17. kindalas

kindalas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The things that SpaceX and Tesla are doing are really awesome for many reasons.

But the fact that we need to have a Billionaire who is interested in those things to get them is a big problem.

It is like how people who get prostate cancer have a considerably longer life expectancy because one of the Kotch brothers had prostate cancer and he dumped money into research.

We get nice things, based on the whims of Billionaires and not because those nice things are actually nice (in this case they are) and actually needed (again in this case they are) and that is a terrible way for things to develop.

Especially when people keep thinking that having money means that you have great ideas.

But to get the nice things we have to put up with the personality cults because that's how capitalism was set up way back when they were cutting off the heads of the French aristocracy and they needed to find a new way to have the leisurely rich call the shots.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's called Asperger's, and it makes people uncomfortable. Probably 20% or more of my devs have Asperger's.

The fact that Elon is able to be as social/people-facing as he is with it is pretty damn impressive, in my opinion.

I'm all for Elon, because it's not like your elected leaders are doing anything worthy of respect, and half of the electorate are retarded. (And before people get pissy, I mean half of each party are retarded, not one party in particular).

Saw an interesting take on Tesla and their stock... it's not really a stock, it's like it's an index. An index on electric innovation. Him and his company are so far ahead of the others when it comes to electrics... and not just for cars.... houses, batteries, etc, it's not even funny.

As much as you may not like him personally, he is a net good for your country, and, dare I say it, the world.

I consider it his penance for creating PayPal.

19. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Until he's trying to push you out of your house, Nett.

I've been to Boca Chica beach many times, and walked up to the mouth of the Rio Grande river. I have very fond memories of that place, and I don't want to get blocked out of it.

He wants to make a resort over there, but he's telling the residents that it's too dangerous to live there.

Which is it, Elon?

Is it dangerous, or is it safe?

AND WHY IS HE TRYING TO LOWBALL PEOPLE?

That's one of the things that pisses me off the most.

HE'S A FUCKING MULTI-BILLIONAIRE.

He could have bought out the residents a few times over, but he decided to be a cheap prick.
    But when you get right down to it, all billionaires are cheap pricks, aren't they?

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Do you really think he's the guy that's controlling all of that? Sure, he said, "hey, we should go buy that place", and people working for him are trying to get the best value for money they can. I don't blame him. When you buy a car, do you start with a lowball? I'm guessing you offer what you think it's worth... which is commendable... but even if he's lowballing people, there's no reason for them to take it.