Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Nevermind and Ten turn 20

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Crown Royal, Sep 14, 2011.

1. hoju

hoju
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I could argue for hours about the merits of Nirvana but it would be a pointless endeavor. Regardless of your opinion, it can't be argued that they (Nirvana, PJ, Soundgarden, etc) changed music, be it good or bad, for a substantial amount of time.

On a similar note, Cameron Crowe has filmed a documentary called PJ20 about Pearl Jam that is being released in select theaters on Tuesday. For those who can't see it in a theater, it will air on PBS on Oct. 21 at 9 p.m.

#21 hoju, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. hoju

hoju
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I tried to edit this into my last post but I took too long...

I was 12 when Ten came out. A family friend gave me a copied cassette just a few weeks before "Jeremy" became a hit. I loved it. Those songs spoke to me. They actually meant something to a confused, awkward teenager. I'm sure that some people can say the same thing about, say Blink182, but at that age and that era, I could relate to the lyrics or at least relate them to my life. I became a huge PJ fan and followed them as best as my teenage income would allow. A few years later, '95 or so, the guy that gave me my first Ten cassette died of a heroin overdose, another friend killed himself, and another died in a car crash. Shit was rough and I found solace in music, specifically Pearl Jam. The lyrics spoke to me and were relevant. I hope that this is still the case for young people and new bands. If so, then fantastic.

3. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I received these albums on CD (gasp!) Christmas of '91:

Metallica - The Black Album
    GNR - Illusions I
    GNR - Illusions II
    AIC - Dirt
    Pearl Jam - Ten
    Nirvana - Nevermind

Little did I know, that was the high point. Never again would music crank out so many classics in such a short amount of time.

4. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Part of the problem with judging these acts is their pervasive influence. Alt rock won. I can't imagine a rock landscape without more Pearl jam and Nirvana influenced bands than you can shake a stick at. They effectively became the new normal, to the point where "alternative rock" is now a totally useless label (are the Foo Fighters alternative? Alternative to what, since their type of sound dominates rock airwaves?) The backwards-looking perspective totally robs these acts of their novelty.

5. AlmostGaunt

AlmostGaunt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Although I've branched out a lot since them, my first love was Guns and Roses in particular and 'sleaze rock' in general. This is the first song I ever loved. I still remember trying to furtively dub my brother's GNR tapes while he was rollerblading.

From there I went on to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, and then Bush, Live, and Everclear (somehow missed AIC, sadly). I still think STP's Purple might be the greatest album of all time, in a very close heat with Throwing Copper. (I actually prefer Vs to 10, although I concede that 10 is probably the better album).

The thing that gets me about the 90's is the sheer diversity of what was available -
    Grunge: Nirvana, Soundgarden, STP, AIC;
    Alt Rock: Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Everclear;
    Thrash/Sleaze rock: GNR, Offspring, Motley Crue;
    Hiphop: Death Row records, Tupac / Biggie, Luniz, Richie Rich;
    Emo Female Genre: Alanis Morisette, Portishead, Garbage,
    Brit pop: Oasis, Blur, Pulp.

What happened? It's like everyone gave up and said Fuck it, all the good music's gone, let's just make DNB/dubstep.

#25 AlmostGaunt, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  6. DenverFogo

DenverFogo
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I was 17 when Nevermind came out and I must say at the time I thought it was awesome. The only record I liked best at the time was "Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic" (and the gap has widened a lot since). But, looking back, the impact of the album to me can be explained by several factors that don't have a lot to do with Nirvana:
    - the greatness of the album has more to do with the production than with the band itself as former and later releases show;
    - one of my favourite bands at the time shot itself in the foot by releasing two double albums when they had songs to make a forty minute one almost as good as Apetite for Destruction;
    - also Metallica had just gone mainstream with an album full of radio friendly hits that got old pretty fast after I bought it.
    Considering all of this plus the fact that the only Nirvana concert I attended was one of the worst live performances I ever saw from a band I liked (curiously I can say the same about the Foo Fighters), I must agree that Nirvana and Nermind were overrated. Also both times I saw Pearl Jam (92 and 2005) they kicked ass and I intend to catch them again one month from now.

Take this with a little salt though. This is 37 year old me talking. I'm the guy who just came back from a festival that had nights headlined by Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Metallica and Guns and Roses and chose to go to the one with Stevie Wonder.