Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Never puttin’ that in my mouth again…

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NatCH, May 15, 2022.

1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Yeah, samesies. I don't eat peanut butter while I drink wine for the same reason.

My mom and dad grew up super poor and are a bit older so they felt the effects of the depression. A lot of their hoarding behaviors come from the fact that you really had to make due with what you had, and often what you had was broken junk. My mom is a big thrift shopper, garbage picker, clearance section buyer. Our pantry growing up was stuffed FULL of dented cans of random shit. I really don't recall eating any vegetable save an onion that wasn't from a can. My mom was a pretty good cook overall, but good lord would her cooking have been elevated to a new level if she just cooked fresh stuff. Like, her bean salad. I LOVE beans but throwing 7 cans of beans together and adding some vinegar and seasoning is just not good. My parents are retired and financially better than fine, but old habits are hard to shake. It's hardwired into their brains. I think some of their cooking stuff has changed though, they have been hard on the keto diet for the last year and stick to it well.

I got into cooking in college, and thanks to the internet and a great diversity in ingredients available at most stores, I am a solid cook. The only thing canned in my pantry are tomato products.

Waste not, want is a real thing for people in poverty. I take for granted sometimes that if there's uneaten food on my kid's plate, if I choose to toss it, it has little effect on our family. With my mom, the forcing of food on kids comes from some combo of financial difficulties and control. She used to "joke" that our household was not a democracy but a dictatorship. Really funny mom, hilarious.

2. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ask me how I feel about my kids "picking" and "choosing" what they want to eat from their plate, or God forbid wanting a PB&J instead.

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I can imagine the fury and indignation. I recall you writing about growing up in a really poor, perhaps 3rd world? Country. Growing up and feeling hunger and seeing people starving is no joke. I am very aware of how fortunate I am to not be hungry. The fear and desperation of being hungry without a real plan for more is animalistic.

I don't force my kid to eat anything but I'll usually pack it up and try again another time or two, or eat it myself another time. I throw scraps away, or food that has been so wrecked with sauces to inspire edibility to my 2 year old that I can't stomach it or it won't save well. For me, food waste is almost sinful, but more from the angle of how much effort and resources it took to make it to our table. I also compost so a lot of food waste is just repurposed.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I don’t get it. My parents made great dinners other nights: stir fry, Mediterranean chicken, homemade hamburgers, etc. But once every week they also made that absolute GARBAGE.

I always ate it, but never enjoyed it once.

5. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My kid used to eat like boss, anything we put in front of him. Salmon, any kind of veggies, it didn't matter.

Now it's a struggle to get him to eat anything that isn't a French fry, macaroni, pizza or a chicken tender. If I want him to eat a vegetable or try anything new, I have to tell him I'll stick it in his ear if he doesn't eat it.

I, jokingly, blame my wife for introducing him to Kraft deluxe Mac and cheese. It went down hill from there. There was no processed crap in our diet for a long time, until that point.

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Oh no. They can go from adventurous eater to picky?

Fuck.

7. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh, yes. They do.

8. Trickysista

Trickysista
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

My son was a picky eater as a toddler, but will eat just about anything now. My daughter on the other hand, ate everything and anything until she turned 3. Now she's the pickiest eater and also the SLOWEST eater. So take from that what you will...

There were certain things I ate growing up because I had to - minced balogna sandwiches and red beets (from a can) are two things that come to mind. Once I became a teenager, I flat-out refused to eat them though, and my parents didn't have a problem with it. Minced balogna is GROSS. My kids are 5 and 6 now, and I take the stance that they have to at least TRY it before they say they hate it. And if it's something they say they hate, but I know they're lying because they just don't feel like eating it for dinner that night, I'll wait a few weeks and give it to them again. Kids, man.

9. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My kids would eat anything until they were both about 2.5.

Now? They love veggies and fruit of all types. They will eat carbs in most forms. But are very picky about sauces.

and Meat? Hahahhahahaha. They only like it if it’s processed. Lunch meat, chicken nuggets, meatballs, most sausages are all awesome. If I put a piece of steak, chicken, pork or fish on their plates? They will have one bite, and then inform me it’s the most disgusting thing they’ve ever eaten.

10. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This thread has me feeling blessed as a kid. I'd say at least 90% of the time I had a home cooked meal at the dinner table every night growing up and my mom is an excellent cook. Only thing I can't really stand is spiced rum, but that's the whole I drank way too much of it one night as a teenager deal. I can stomach about anything other than olives and mushrooms.

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

You know this board is growing up when we we’ve made it to page two and no one has responded with simply “cock”

12. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Would spotted dick make you feel better?

On focus: canned Vienna sausages. I ate them by the case when I was little...today I'm not sure I'd willingly choose them over grasshoppers in a survival situation.

I don't have a revulsion to it, but homemade mac & cheese with homemade croutons (stale bread) on top. When dad was laid off from the mine we ate it a lot. If I happened to be home when I was in college, my mom would make something else for me if she was making it. Now today, with both my parents gone, I find occasionally wish I could have it again.

As far as kids, our son would initially eat just about anything we put in front of him, but since he turned two, he's less inclined to try new foods and refuses food he used to ask for. Interestingly, he loves steaks and tuna steaks; will eat roasted chicken and loves nuggets, but won't touch otherwise. He also doesn't like eggs in any form, but I think he dislikes their texture over the taste

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

100%

My boys would eat anything when they were toddlers and early 2s. Now, they'll go from picky eaters, to adventurous, sometimes in the same week. I think they're more adventurous than most, but they absolutely do "revert to the norm"

14. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jesus H you make me sound like a Sally Struthers case. DR in the 80s was poor but we weren't miserable, I don't recall seeing anyone's belly distended. Unlike the people from that Kinison joke we lived where the food was, it just cost too much sometimes. And it was nothing for neighbors to send each other a plate on occasion.

But yeah, fury and indignation. I've had to make do with as little as a chunk of bread and some sugar water, so for my 1st World children to turn up their nose at perfectly good dinner because they're not in the mood? I would love nothing more than ship them off to grandma's house for a summer, but mom ain't down with that.

15. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Apologies. I think you've alluded to things and I just mentally filled in gaps. I was thinking you were a little older too.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I was fortunate to travel a bit when I was younger so I got some perspective early in life. My wife was raised upper middle class, but never really got outside the bubble here. I'll never forget the moment she realized how lucky she truly has it in life:

We were sitting on a cruise ship eating early dinner at their buffet, on a company trip, while docked in Curacao. The view from our table was overlooking the bay -- just outside the port area -- where their "residential" area started. The homes were essentially one room houses with dirt floors and metal roofs, walls made from tires, milk crates, whatever. They were all touching each other, with tarps and blankets and anything they could find for shade covering the spaces between. Nicest people ever, we had just spent all day there.

And while we ate, one of them was quickly catching fire. People were running from those houses carrying trash bags, children, goats, chickens, anything and everything. It was one of the saddest things I have ever seen, to watch as these amazing, beautiful people with nothing, tried to escape with all their possessions that were basically nothing but also everything to them, as their "home" we'd call a shack got destroyed and we know the town didn't have the fire dept to quickly handle it.

The juxtaposition between where we were and what we were doing, and what we saw, was one of the most extreme events I've been in, and eventually it was too much for us so we left the area, as did many others.

17. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My grandmother, may she rest in peace, started putting scrambled eggs in her homemade Mac and cheese later in her life. You can be sure I'll never eat that again as long as I live.

She was a casserole granny. Every big meal needed a casserole. There are only a few casseroles I really like, the rest I think are stupid.

But God himself must have given her a fried chicken recipe, cause it was heavenly.

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Closest thing I think is pork chops. My mom was an alright cook and I still love her meatloaf. She made pork chops semi frequently and she prided herself on this BBQ sauce she made. I didnt like it as it was mustard heavy and not great. The chops themselves were just inedible slabs of over cooked leather. Maybe there's a way to make them tender but I just moved on to fattier cuts when I started cooking for myself full time. Ramen noodles used to make up 80 percent of my childhood diet but was out of love. Strained and topped with butter and parmesan. I ate it up through college but have given it up with the low carb dieting.

I was the adventurous eater of my siblings and had to try everything new. Ive carried this into my adulthood. I guess parents just cave so they dont have to listen to the screaming? You just cant send them to bed hungry?

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

okay here's some totally normal stuff that I absolutely cannot eat anymore:

scrambled eggs, oatmeal, and anything from Luby's restaurant (a texas tradition for people of a certain age)

when I went into the hospital for my brain surgery I was 135 lbs and less than a week later when I was sent home I had bottomed out to 115. I was on medical steroids to try to help with the post-surgery swelling, and obviously was trying to put back on as much weight as possible. Good weight, bad weight, I didn't care. I accepted all visitors, on the condition they bring something to eat with them. Cheesecake factory cheesecakes -- plural -- were a staple throughout the day. But in the morning, when my migraines were so intense I would often puke from the pain, the only things I could stomach were scrambled eggs and oatmeal. To this day, those two foods bring back such horrible memories that I avoid them at all costs, and will not even eat them to "be polite." The ONLY exception I make is for eggs in breakfast tacos, but that's usually with chorizo and other stuff as well. I still cannot stomach like just a bacon and egg taco.

Luby's was more straightforward. Hospital food is sucks. It's like someone found the recipe for cardboard. There was a Luby's nearby, so that's all I could stomach once I "recovered" enough to eat. For years afterward, whenever I'd pass a Luby's, or especially smell it like if someone had it at work, I'd become physically ill and have a panic attack. When I was in therapy for PTSD they had me do exposure therapy to it. Yeah, no cigar. Fortunately their food started really sucking as they cut corners during the pandemic so no one eats there anymore, and I think they're closing their local area restaurants.

20. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Both of my kids always loved veggies. But they used to eat anything, rare steak? more please. Then around 3 to 4 for both of them they got pickier and pickier. And took a long time to get them to eat anything other then basically what yours eat.