Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Networking

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 1, 2009.

1. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It can probably be done for around that price. Pick up a older tower PC up from craigslist/eBay. I'm thinking something like a Dell Optiplex 745 or so. Basically, core 2 duo or better with 2gb or more RAM. You could also base your minimum system off of a blu ray drive spec which is probably your best idea anyway.

You would want it to run a version of Windows 7 that has media center (I think everything but starter has it).

Once you have the desktop, you can stick a couple of 3tb drives in: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148844</a>

From there, you would plug it into your normal wireless router. You can stream to the Xboxs from that desktop that way.

2. Uziel

Uziel
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Thank you! That sounds much easier than I anticipated. Do you know if this will work for 3D movies? I know the XBOX plays 3D games so I assume it will but I'm not positive. Also do you happen to know if more than one movie could be streamed at a time with this setup? (like if both my kids wanted to watch a movie at the same time)

3. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Depends on your wireless network. If it's the (older and therefore more common) 802.11g spec, then no, it's not fast enough. You might even run into trouble when trying to stream just one BluRay movie. If it's 802.11n, then you should be good.

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

We just bought a netgear r6100 WiFi router. It works great except for the part about very slow webpage loads. They become instant loads when we flush the DNS cache on the laptop but become slow again after a few minutes. We have a good connection speed, around 50-60mpbs. Any ideas on a permanent fix to this? Thanks in advance.

5. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you run ipconfig /all on the laptop, what is your DNS server?

If it's the IP address of the router, or even if it's not, try changing them to be, say, Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4). See if that fixes the problem.

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

He checked it last night, he's had it set at Google's DNS servers since he set up the computer a couple weeks ago. I went ahead and tried what he did--loaded some pages (20+ second load times for sites) and then opened up command prompt and typed ipconfig /flushdns and all the sites load instantly. Less than 5 minutes later, they are slow again.

7. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're sure the laptop itself is using those DNS servers, though? Many routers hand their own IP address out as the DNS server and they do all of the DNS lookups, which is why you want to check it with ipconfig /all. If the computer is set up as a static IP, though, it's a moot point.

It's weird that flushing the cache improves it, though, you'd expect the opposite for virtually any scenario. You could try using the OpenDNS servers instead, which are generally faster than Google's:

It wouldn't entirely surprise me if you have some kind of malware on the computer. Try scanning with whatever you had loaded, and maybe also download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Another thing you could try is to flush the DNS, load a single website (like idiotboard.com), then type this into the command prompt (you have to run the command prompt as administrator):

ipconfig /displaydns > c:\dns.txt

Then open dns.txt in the root of the C: drive and give it a once over. There should be a handful of entries, but do any of them look weird? Are there hundreds of entries? Do they look like sketchy spam sites?

When you're getting slow pages, are all websites slow? Even sites you don't visit normally? If the sites are loading slow, and you pull up a webpage you've never visited before, is it still slow?

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

So strange problem. We have Macs in our environment have to get them on an AD for various compliance requirements. We can bind the Macs to the AD, create the mobile account, turn on FileVault and then upon reboot for FV setup, it bricks. Just black screen, no apple symbol or logon page. We then have to go back to the recovery partition and blow it away and just to get back to square one. I cannot figure out why it is doing this. Seems to only be happening in Macs running Sierra. Any thoughts?

9. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've seen something like this before. Give it a couple minutes, then try entering the password at the black screen and see if it works.

Past that:

Filevault, or Filevault 2? Have you tried turning FV on and then binding AD?

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I waited an hour and tried entering the PW to no avail. The Apple logo doesn't even show on boot and you can barely tell its even on, just a faint backlight.

I can bind after turning on FV2, but the login screen says "Update Needed" for each mobile account that's created. If I turn off FV and back on, it bricks again.

Happens on multiple new laptops, all running Sierra.

11. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How are you binding? Manually, a config script, or something else.? If it's a script, try doing it manually or confirming the steps in the script are correct and/or need to be updated in Sierra. Make sure you check the dumb stuff too, like the NTP server/time being the same on the server and the Mac.

My go-to person for Mac stuff is Rich Trouton, perhaps he has something useful for you: https://derflounder.wordpress.com/category/filevault-2/

If they are new Macs, you may also be able to contact Apple for support.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Its a manual binding for each one and we checked time sync or anything. We have an open case with Apple, but they are completely ghosting us now. Its very strange.

13. The Beer Baron

The Beer Baron
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Looks like I can't start a new Subject, so I'll just lay it out.

Been a member for like, a decade and a bit, but never have the time to visit. Recently I've come across a problem I hope you can shed some light on.
    Pavillion 17ca running W/10 has suddenly become selective in which open/public networks it will connect to. It will connect to a Lowes with no problem. It refuses to connect to a McDonald's. I run ProtonVPN, I've tried all the 15 google "troubleshooting solutions" (screwing with the driver, DOS, IVP4/6 etc) with no luck.

Last night I managed to connect to a Mc'D's hot spot, moved my semi a little closer for better reception, and suddenly the connection dropped and wouldn't reconnect.

I'm out of ideas.

14. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think this is your issue. Some public wifi networks may not allow connections with a VPN connection because they block that port from connecting. I'd try connecting without it being turned on and see what happens.

15. The Beer Baron

The Beer Baron
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Yeah, I found that out the second or third time I was using my VPN. Since then I've been making sure I had a connection before I started the VPN. I also read that the server will refuse to load the Log In/ToS page and allow you online because the VPN feeds it an IP that it isn't expecting.

I don't go inside, I just park my semi wherever I can find a spot. Tonight I'm writing this on Lowe's WiFi in Michigan City, Indiana - and it's working just fine. VPN is running, and so is BitTorrent.

My signal strength is usually pretty good on the laptop; better than the phone - but the phone will connect and the laptop won't. And I don't start the VPN until after I get access to the network.

Another weird thing I noticed the other day was that I could connect to the McD's "open" employee server, but I don't have credentials to get past the login screen. But my laptop connected. Go figure.

16. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

@The Beer Baron I assume you've looked for driver updates on your manufacturer's website.

Can you check the Wi-Fi networks to see if there's a pattern in the frequency? I.e. your laptop can successfully connect to 5 GHz networks, but not 2.4 GHz networks? You could figure this out by going into your phone settings and seeing what frequency the phone is connected on. It may be that your laptop is struggling with a certain frequency.

Additionally, to confirm: the laptop doesn't actually connect, right? There's no establishment of a link at all, you never get a connected indicator? Distinct from the laptop connecting, but being unable to access anything.

17. The Beer Baron

The Beer Baron
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I looked through my settings, but I don't think that information is available. Running Android 10 on a Galaxy S9+ if you know where to look.

"Windows cannot connect to this network". I've tried 2.5g, 5g, changing the 802.11 a/b/g/n settings to every combination possible and still can't figure it out.

18. The Beer Baron

The Beer Baron
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I looked through my settings, but I don't think that information is available. Running Android 10 on a Galaxy S9+ if you know where to look.

"Windows cannot connect to this network". I've tried 2.5g, 5g, changing the 802.11 a/b/g/n settings to every combination possible and still can't figure it out.

19. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Go to settings > network settings > wi-fi > tap on the network you're connected to. It should list the frequency.