Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Networking

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

All things networking. Want to learn how to tunnel stuff through SSH? Set up a wireless relay? NAT/PAT?

2. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Basic Routing Info - here is just some info I've learned from my home networking in the last month that I thought may be helpful (especially for those looking to buy a new wireless router this season). This doesn't go into the in-depth stuff but it will at least give some ideas for someone not looking to spend an arm or a leg, or someone without a huge technical background.

Routers - first thing I'll say is I'm a huge fan of reliability over range. You can get the newest N/Gigabit router on the market, but if it needs to be reset all the time, then it pretty much sucks.

LINKSYS WRT-54GL Router -Guys, if any of you are looking for a good, solid, router that is stable, I'd suggest this one. I ran into issues with my condo construction (being old brick warehouse) and my signal wasn't passing through all that well. Third-party flashable. I picked up two of these and have never been happier. Newegg has them for $54.99. The only knock is that they're G technology. I don't find this to be an issue.

BUFFALO WHR-HP-G54 - another great G router that is third-party flashable. This is another router with great reviews and comes in at $50-55. Again, only knock is that it's G technology.

LINKSYS WRT160NL - Pretty similar to the Linksys router I have above, accept it's more expensive and N capable.

One thing (for any router you're going to buy) is look to see if it's third-party firmware compatible. The two biggest third-party firmwares are Tomato and DD-WRT. Both of these websites have lists to show if your router is compatible or not. DD-WRT is compatiable with more routers than Tomato and they have similar options (with DD-WRT being more complex).

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

If anyone has any questions with client briding, repeater briding (e.g. using one router to wirelessly send a signal to another router, or to bounce it along), feel free to shoot me a PM as well. Otherwise, here is a helpful video for it (if you use DD-WRT).

#2 Kratos, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  3. ILikePie

ILikePie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I work at a place that sells electronics. I can get the WRT54G-TM version of this same router BRAND NEW for $20. If any of you want the hook up on one of these, PM me. We have pallets of these fucking things just sitting around.

4. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Ok,

I discovered an app called Hotspot Shield for the Mac today. Basically, as a Canadian, it gives me a US IP so I can use Hulu, Pandora, and other US only services. All it does is use a VPN connection. It's free, but frankly it's slow and I don't trust that my data is secure. Does anyone know of a VPN provider that is cheap and secure? Something like a webhosting service, but instead VPN. Looking to pay $5 a month or so.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just get any hosted service that has shell access, and install your own web proxy. Don't need a full-on VPN, that's overkill.

Also, that way, you can configure the proxy to only be used for certain hosts/sites.

6. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Any idea how to go about doing that? I have SSH access to my hosting, I just don't know what I have to do from there. I've googled for the past 20 mins to no avail. Everything is just how to setup your own SSH server on windows or how to connect to an existing server.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Basically, SSH is the access to the remote host that will allow you to install a web proxy server on the remote host.

I personally use Squid, and a basic overview of installation can be found here: http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1431

It's not for the faint of heart, so it might be best to find a friend that is a little more knowledgable to do it for you.

You COULD try a commercial web proxy that provides this service, but most of the big providers have blacklisted the big proxy providers.

8. 6PPC

6PPC
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I hope this is the right thread for this. Has anyone gotten the free version of RealVNC Server to work on Window 7? From what I can gather by looking around RealVNC.com, they have fixed the pay version, but not the free one. Lots of people were complaining that they were having problems when I googled around, but didn't find any solutions.

EDIT: BTW, the problem I am having it that as soon as I connect to the Windows 7 machine running the VNC server, it disconnects with "connection reset". When I check the Even Log on the server, I see "Unable to connect session to Console. Access Denied."

9. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

have you tried Ultra VNC as an alternative?

Full disclosure I'm not an expert with VNC by any stretch

10. yjh50

yjh50
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I have a simple question about my home network. I am running a linksys G router and a few wireless items. I am having an issue with a desktop with a linksys usb wireless adapter. I leave this desktop on all the time. After some unknown time has passed (varies from 8+ hours) it will "lose connection." It will appear to be connected to the router and everything will look good, but it just will not send or receive info from the network. To fix this all I have to do is repair the wireless connection down by the clock. This is not a very big deal, but it is frustrating when someone else tries to use my pc. They do not know that they have to repair the connection and they feel that it is broken. I do not have this issue with my laptop or Wii, but then again, I do not leave them on all the time. I hope I have explained this well enough. Is there a solution to this? Please PM me if you have any suggestions. Let me know if you need more info.

11. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, I consider myself pretty tech savvy, but networking is one thing that I wish I knew more of.

I am having problems with lag while playing online games. mainly MW2 and world of warcraft, but WoW is the big one that I'm having problems with. I am logged in right now and have 2700+ms latency, and I am trying to figure out what my problem is.

We have a 20mbps connection from Cox Cable. Most of the time when I do a speed test (<a class="postlink" href="http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/</a>), I get 20+mbps download. When I try to play wow though (not saying its only when I play wow, thats just when I notice it), my latency slowly climbs, and my download speeds drop. Right now speakeasy is showing a download speed of 477 kbps.

I am connected to a WRT54GS linksys router that is connected to our cable modem (coax split from the wall to my tv and cable modem).

I am not downloading anything atm, but I do have roommates who may be downloading, but I don't think they are.

Here is the tracert I get:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 1533 ms 1746 ms 916 ms 10.7.192.1
    3 1960 ms 790 ms 2034 ms ge-1-1-5-jun03.mtc3.okc.ok.cox.net [68.12.8.25]

4 1110 ms 1508 ms 860 ms COX-68-12-8-48-static.coxinet.net [68.12.8.48]
    5 2130 ms 1112 ms 2202 ms ge-5-1-0-dsr02.rd.okc.ok.cox.net [68.12.14.33]
    6 1929 ms 2205 ms 974 ms dalsbbrj02-ae2.0.r2.dl.cox.net [68.1.1.243]
    7 1728 ms 2208 ms * ae-4-90.edge2.Dallas3.Level3.net [4.69.145.204]

8 1721 ms 1442 ms 812 ms 192.205.35.225
    9 2068 ms 2052 ms 1016 ms cr2.dlstx.ip.att.net [12.122.138.26]
    10 1940 ms 873 ms 2330 ms cr2.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.28.178]
    11 2261 ms 1657 ms 1144 ms cr84.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.123.30.249]
    12 1785 ms 1904 ms 1916 ms gar5.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.129.25]
    13 2102 ms 1448 ms 895 ms 12.122.255.74
    14 2291 ms 2423 ms 2220 ms 12.129.193.242
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.

Alright, I tried to give as much info as I could. Any thoughts?

12. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Quick update:

Reset the router, and everything was great.

That is, until I logged into WoW again. Still very high latency in WoW, and download speeds have dropped again as well as tracert showing high values.

The router is a couple years old, do I just need to replace it?

13. imlkrsfn

imlkrsfn
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I doubt it's your router. If it was working before there's no reason to get a new one. Try connecting your computer directly to your modem. If the problem is still there, it's your router. Before you get a new one, restore it to factory defaults, it's usually in the router menu or you could use a pin in the reset hole and hold it for 20 seconds or so.

I did google and found many people on the WoW forums with the same problems. They seem to have been fixed with patches from Blizzard or their ISP had problems. Here's the link and if you read through it one thread will lead to another.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=76909191&sid=1&pageNo=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 1&pageNo=1</a>

14. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What's 10.7.192.1? You're already getting some pretty high latency on your second hop. I'm assuming 192.168.1.1 is your router.

15. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks for the input. I don't know why I didn't think of taking the router out of the loop and testing things, I'll try that after I come back from lunch.

Funny rep comment I got for my post up there:

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just be aware that the networking that goes on with a game is pretty complicated.

There are both TCP and UDP connections, both directly between clients and using rebroadcasters.

A lot of this kind of traffic has a profile that major ISP's are actively targetting, and throttling, because it can appear to be bittorrent traffic.

For instance, on my parent's internet connection, I get reasonable performance, until I start up a single bit torrent.

They apply live traffic shaping to the connection that inhibits/throttles the connectivity, and it also affect me playing MW2.

As a result I switched over to Rogers Cable, with the special "gamers/downloaders" package (that allows for that kind of traffic without penalty), and it's all good.

$0.02

17. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know you have skills but I don't think that would affect his tracert, would it? He's seeing some pretty high latency on only his second hop. That's ICMP traffic I think.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Totally depends on the traffic shaping and the way they fuck with the traffic.

They can arbitrarily insert layer 3 latencies immediately upstream from him, if they want to. You'd have to do more advanced analysis than a simple traceroute to figure that out.

edit: To clarify, they can apply blanket policies that affect all protocols/etc, or they can apply specific policies to specific protocols. It's probably easier/cheaper for them to do the "all-in" approach.

19. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Most of the live traffic shaping is done during periods where they are seeing objectionable traffic. If that tracert looks like that when you haven't played WoW for a couple hours, that's bad news. Actually, that's such a high latency, I'd venture to suggest that it may not be traffic shaping causing the problem.

It's my understanding that most ISP shaping policies affect bandwidth a lot more than they affect latencies but that will vary depending on the ISP.

So, easy things to try:

- Remove the splitter from your line, plug the main line directly into your cable modem.
    - Remove the cable modem from the router and plug it directly into your computer.
    - Power cycle the cable modem.

Then try a speed test, and a tracert. Note those results. Then fire up WoW and see if the issue is fixed. If it is, introduce the splitter back on the line first and re-test. Then introduce the router back in and re-test.

20. justinarelost

justinarelost
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'm trying to improve the network performance of a somewhat independent network segment we have. We have out main network, which is 10.x.x.x and the network I'm trying to improve has 172.x.x.x. The server's duel NICs have an IP on each subnet so I can manage the server from the main network. The 172.x.x.x network is used to download huge video files from different wireless bridges. It is 10/100 to the wireless access point which is a WRT54GS which is set on a B-Only Network Mode and it's on channel 6. The wireless bridges are WET54Gs that connect to the 128bit WEP enabled access point. What I'm really trying to find is a program that will test network speed from different addresses without having to install or have anything running on the remote location. That way I can sort of work it out backwards where the bottleneck is. Or if you have any ideas on how I can teak what I have I would appreciate that too.