Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Networking With Idiots

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by MooseKnuckle, Oct 21, 2009.

1. babyface

babyface
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'll be in New Haven, CT on the 29th and 30th of this month. Any recommendations for dinner and bars?

2. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Modern Pizza is really good. If you get the chance, definitely check it out. There's another place, Pepe's, which is equally awesome. I've watched people get into fist fights arguing over which one is better. Both have been around forever, and both make a great pizza, so you really can't go wrong.

A buddy of mine also bounces at Stella Blues and it's pretty nice. It's not a big place, but I like it if I feel like going out and having a place to sit. If you want to go somewhere with a million TV's so you can watch sports, I'd say go to Black Bear. It gets crowded, but it's a decent place. Apparently they're having a costume contest on the 30th, so there will probably be plenty of hot girls there that night. Those are just two of many. Once you're in that area (Crown St.), there are plenty of bars to go to, so you may just want to bounce around a little bit to see what suits you best.

Enjoy (and try not to get stabbed. New Haven--they just love their knives).

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

You can also goto a place called Keys to the City, which is a dueling piano bar and it is pretty entertaining if that's your thing. I have to agree with effinshenanigans, Pepes is great, but if you go on a weekend night, be ready to wait in line outside.

4. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've only been to the one in Manchester and it's really good, I've heard the original (the one in New Haven) is even better.

And yeah, don't fuck with anyone, not a nice city.

5. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Have to agree with people on Pepe's. The original in New Haven is the best with the original brick oven. Depending on when you get there however, you are in for a long wait. It is worth it.

6. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm going to be in Jacksonville for a conference next week, Riverfront area. Anyone want to grab a drink or have any suggestions for where to watch Monday Night Football?

7. cdite

cdite
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I just moved to Sacramento from Dallas last week and have no family or friends out here so its pretty much a fresh start. I am living in Natomas and was wondering if anyone knew of any pool halls around the area. Also any bar recommendations / night life to get out and meet people would be appreciated as well.

8. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm in Miami this coming weekend for a guys' trip. There's three of us going and staying at the JW Marriott downtown Miami. I'm wondering what some of the good restaurants/bars/clubs are. We're all 26 so we're not necessarily looking for the college bars. Money probably wont be too much of an issue either. Any ideas, let me know.

9. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What are the pros and cons of living in Kansas City? I'm considering a move and would appreciate insights.

10. babyface

babyface
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I like Daniel Tosh's take on KC.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5EHy91jPQo

11. Nick

Nick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My wife and I are likely relocating to Fort Lauderdale the beginning of next year. I've spent a lot of time on the Gulf side of Florida, as well as in Miami, but have never been to Fort Lauderdale. We're heading down to meet with a realtor in a couple of weeks, and I'm trying to do as much up front diligence as I can so we know where to focus our energy/time while we're down there.

We're in our early 30s (no kids) and still like to party, and we're not really interested in moving out to the suburbs anytime soon. I know south Florida is a haven for snow-birds, and I realize the old folks won't be entirely avoidable, but we definitely want to be in and around people closer to our demographic. We have a pretty healthy housing budget and want to be near shopping/restaurants/nightlife/etc. Any neighborhoods we should check out? Avoid? We've talked about maybe trying to live closer to North Miami/Aventura, so that we have access to both Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Anybody familiar with that area? My office will be in Plantation and I want to try to keep my commute down to around 30-40 mins if possible. Is that do-able from North Miami? What should I expect in terms of traffic?

12. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'll be in Austin tomorrow afternoon for an interview Tuesday morning. Tomorrow and Tuesday afternoon will be spent looking at apartments, but Tuesday night if anyone wants to grab a few drinks let me know. I'm staying with the only person I know in South Austin, but she won't actually be there while I am.

13. CougarChamp

CougarChamp
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm an attorney and am licensed in NY, but am looking to move to Colorado or Wyoming to work as a Landman. If anyone on here does Landman work or has any information about job leads, or just things I need to know as I get into it I would greatly appreciate it. Ideally I would like to move mid January.

14. thevoice

thevoice
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm off to Phoenix for a father-son trip between the 12th and 18th of January. A few questions for those who either live or frequent Phoenix often:

- Best Pizza place in Phoenix?
    - Best Sports bar?
    - Best strip-club?
    - Best golf-course that doesn't cost more than $100 per-person?

I'm going to the Coyotes/Leafs on the 13th. Suns/Blazers on the 14th and Coyotes/Sharks on the 17th. Other than that, I'll be golfing during the day and drinking in the evening. I certainly welcome all advice on where to go and not go. If anybody in the area wants to meet up for some drinks or a bite, let me know. It would be fun swapping stories with fellow TIBers.

Cheers, and thanks for your tips.

15. sportxite

sportxite
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I'm going to be in London mid to late January, can anyone recommend anything good for the nightlife? Bars, clubs, restaurants, whatever.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm assuming you mean London, England, right?

(there are a fair number of us from London, Ontario, Canada on here is why I ask)

17. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

London england?

Strange enough place, myself if I was going out in London, unless I was connected and loaded, it would not be London.

Your friendliest place is going to be Leicester square, find a quiet bar and ask the bar maid.

Remember, no need to tip for drinks in England, but the amount of Americans I've served who didn't tip for food either drove me nuts.
    We do tip, just not like nuttos like you boys.

But yeah, leister square, diverse, lots of youth hostels around, lots of bars/clubs. Theres even one club that does 7am-5pm last time I was there.

18. sportxite

sportxite
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Yeah London, England. I didn't even realise there was a London in Ontario. Oops. Thanks.

Regarding tips, I'm from Australia, I imagine tipping in London to be pretty similar. Have been to the US though, so I kinda get where you're coming from with the 'nutto' bit. (Emoticons seem to be less appreciated here than I'm used to, so you'll just have to imagine a small yellow face winking at you.)

Thanks for the tip though. Leceister Square is on the list of places to see. I've been before when I was younger (too young to appreciate anything after nightfall really) and I've seen most of the tourist attractions, just looking for a different side of it to experience now. Get some wordly partying under my belt.

19. Nothingdoing

Nothingdoing
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Personally Leicester Square and Soho would be the two areas in London I'd recommend staying away from, unless of course overpriced drinks and idiots is your thing.

I'd recommend either hitting Camden for the nightlife, or even Angel, or Shoreditch. The bars around there are usually pritty good. If your into Blues, then the Blues Kitchen in Camden is amazing.

20. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It really depends on where you are staying, if you in Glendale near where the coyotes play it is a different scene the if you stay in Scottsdale. Phoenix is very spread out.

Best pizza in the US as voted by someone is Pizza Bianco (expect to wait an hour or more) that is downtown Phx near where the suns play.
    Grimaldi's Pizza is good as well, there is one is Scottsdale.

There is not really a best sports bar here, because there are way to many, but if you are downtown for the Suns go to Majerle's, if you are by the Coyotes Arena there is a lot of sports bars right next to it in Westgate.

My two favorite Strip Clubs are Centerfolds on 19th and Peoria, or the High Liter on 12th st near Camelback, Bourbon St. is decent as well.

As far as golf goes, call around mid week is the most inexpensive, again it depends where you are staying there are a lot of golf courses.

The Barrett Jackson Auto Auction will also be taking place while you are in Phoenix.

Hope that helps.