Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Networking With Idiots

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by MooseKnuckle, Oct 21, 2009.

1. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Decided to toss this up on here rather than the self promotion thread.

For those of you who haven't heard me talk about it, I helped resurrect and currently manage an oyster company (Ned's Island Oysters) that specializes in the incredibly good Blue Point variety. While we're building our list of restaurant clients, we are also among only a handful of companies in the U.S. who ship directly to our customers, and from what I've seen, we've got cheaper shipping rates than all of them. When I posted about our event back at the end of March, there were a few of you from the midwest who lamented that you couldn't come. Well, we can get them to you. We're able to ship anywhere in the lower 48 (sorry if you're a Canadian oyster fan--customs is too much of a pain in the ass).

If you like oysters, check out our website, www.nedsislandoysters.com. The site is still a little rough around the edges and we're working on creating more content for the About Us section that inlcudes a hatchery walk-through, etc., so don't judge too harshly. We're on Facebook (Ned's Island Oysters) and Twitter (NedsOysters) as well.

We're also running a Mother's Day promotion right now and we're throwing in free shucking knives with every order. However, if you put "TiB" in the comments section during checkout, I'll toss one in for you guys any time.

/pimping my company.

2. BadBrains

BadBrains
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Portland, OR - I have to go to Portland in a few weeks for work, and I'm going to have a bit of time to poke around. I'll be in the Hillsboro area, but looking for suggestions on any cool sites or places to visit.

Thanks.

3. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Edmonton/Calgary. Me and the wife are going on holidays, we are really sure when and were will be anywhere. Can anyone recommend some good places to eat, and some cheap and clean motels/hotels.

4. AdrianSSS

AdrianSSS
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

This might be a long shot, but if there's anyone working in the media/journalism/PR sectors, would you be able to give me some pointers on where to start looking for work?

I'm Australian with five and a half years of news and sports writing, online production and a Bachelor of Journalism, and I'm looking to get my foot in the door in the US while I'm still young and un-tied-down enough to do so.

Thanks!

5. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

St. Louis

I'll be there next weekend for work...staying near the airport Saturday night. Is there anything going on in town I shouldn't miss. Fun bars or restaurants?

6. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

This is kind of a long shot, but do any of y'all have experience with subletting? Any websites to check out other than Craig's list? I need someplace to stay in CO Springs for 2-3 months next summer. I'm trying to keep it cheap, in a safe neighborhood and furnished (or at least with a bed frame and mattress). Thanks.

7. JPrue

JPrue
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm headed to south Florida next week, for a week. Any local TiBers/TiBettes up to get a drink?

8. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    Gonna be in London, Ontario tomorrow night (Wed, Jan. 9). I probably won't get there until about 10:00PM, but If any of you ass clowns want to have a drink, let me know.

9. LatinGroove

LatinGroove
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm going to be in Austin today at the 2A protest with my son around noon. Hit me up if any of you want grab a bite to eat or just do some general sight seeing.

10. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

My sister just finished renovating her beach condo. Just thought I'd put it up here in case there's any snowbirds who are looking for a warmer place to visit for awhile. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.vrbo.com/446095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.vrbo.com/446095</a>

11. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Philadelphia

I'm heading over there on Saturday with the fiancee. We're staying near Penn's campus (I've always wanted to see a game at the Palestra) so are there any neat eateries or bars in that area we should check out. I don't have any interest in going to Pat's or Geno's.

12. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Los Angeles

Been living here for about 6 months now. If anyone wants to watch a game or grab a drink, let me know.

13. twopy

twopy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

WILMINGTON, NC

Anyone ever lived in Wilmington/Carolina Beach area? I'll be moving there at the end of April. I've been there a few times so I have an idea where things are. Mostly I'm curious about specific neighborhoods, job opportunities, entertainment, ect. Looking mostly in the Campus area but I'm willing to look elsewhere if its a nice place at the right price.

Also, I'm only moving from 2 hours away so most of my personal things I'll be throwing in my car and moving myself, but I have some large ticket items still with my parents in Wisconsin I'll be moving down from there. Looking at Uhaul or similar but it was like $1500 for the smallest truck they offer. Does this sound about right for a 900 mile move? I've never moved where I couldn't just load up a minivan and go.

14. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Virginia

I'll be doing a weekend trip to Virginia April 19-21. Meeting with clients about helping with financial goals (life insurance, annuities, retirement, college savings, etc) and friends in the area. Mostly NOVA area. If anyone wants to take the opportunity for a free financial meeting or just grab a drink or something, let me know.

15. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Nashville

My fiancee and I are scoping out Nashville as a possible permanent residence for buying a house and raising kids in the future. We are going to spend a couple nights there next month. What are some attractions, restaurants, bar districts that we should check out? Also, what neighborhoods are attractive for first-time homeowners?

16. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The W is pretty swank and within walking distance to the French Quarter. And Mother's is only a block away. Go to Mother's twice: once for breakfast (creole shrimp omelet highly recommended) and once for lunch for once of their po'boys. K Paul's in the FQ was excellent the last time I was there. Cajun blackened prime rib--one of the best steaks I've ever had.

17. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Cafe Degas is a nice upscale French cafe if you're into that.

And of course, if you haven't had a beignet, then get on that.

18. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven't been down there in few years, but if it's anything like it used to was, some practical advice:

If you wander around at night, do so with a group of people, and don't wander too far off the beaten, well-lit track.
    Bourbon street smells like piss, and is largely a waste of time and money. If you have to, walk down it once to say you did. In fact:
    Don't go into the bar to watch that guy with three fingers on his left hand wrestling alligators, unless you want to get
    rolled.
    Don't go into the numerous bars offering live sex shows, if you have any shred of decency and humanity left that you
    still want to hold onto.
    Go see a zydeco band.
    Pat O'Brien's Hurricanes are sweet, girlie drinks.
    Haunted New Orleans my ass.

19. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are no such things as live sex shows. In fact, the strippers don't get fully nude. Well, anything is possible for the proper amount of American dollars, but they are not supposed to get fully nude.

Bourbon is unbelievably seedy, but go to Galatoire's while you are there. It's on Bourbon and is one of the very old Creole restaurants in town. Antoine's is another.

The Windsor Court is probably the best hotel in town. Although the Roosevelt is excellent as well and deserves a mention for the Sazerac bar, if for nothing else. Same goes for The Monteleone and the Carousel bar.

Last piece of advice. Unless you want to spend your whole trip rushing from one air conditioned spot to another, push your trip back six or eight weeks. Late August in New Orleans is awful. 95 degrees, 95% humidity, and a nice chance of a hurricane.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Anyone else here planning on going to the Grand Prix du Canada (F1 in Montreal) in June?