Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Networking With Idiots

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by MooseKnuckle, Oct 21, 2009.

1. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Network with other board members. This would include, but is not limited to:

Finding job leads, a couch to crash on, someone to grab a beer with, recommendations for restaurants, bars, hotels and places to bury dead hookers in cities you might be visiting/moving to.

You get the drift.

2. Wiggy

Wiggy
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I'm going to Whistler, BC in mid-December and staying in the village. Anybody have suggestions for good food, bars, etc. in town?

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's all pretty good, just fucking expensive.

I prefer the LongHorn right at the base of the hill for apres-ski drinks/food. http://www.longhornsaloon.ca

Night on the town, I prefer either Tommy Africas (http://www.tommyafricas.com/) or Buffalo Bills (http://www.buffalobills.ca/)

Still, you can walk from one end of the place to the other in less than 10 minutes, so just follow the crowds.

And there's poutine.

4. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone in or around the Baltimore/DC area that has decent government contracting leads besides myself? I work in communications, SatCom specifically, and I'm on the lookout for something that pays better than the shit-house company I work for that just happened to low-ball some Army contracts.

5. gtg2k

gtg2k
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I know there are a few of us around the Memphis area. I'd love to meet up with those of y'all at some point.

6. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Minneapolis/St. Paul

I'm in the Twin Cities (live downtown St. Paul) and I'm always down for anyone/anything. If anyone is coming into town, I can offer advice on where to go, place crash, etc...

7. Moose

Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'll be in Albany, NY on Halloween to see moe. at the Washington Avenue Armory, and then the Lark Tavern to see Lynch afterward (~1am - 4am). If anyone is in the area and wants to grab a beer, let me know.

8. Backroom

Backroom
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm a recent college graduate with a B.S. in criminal Justice and Homeland Security. I just need an entry level job to get experience. This may need to go in the "help me" thread, but I need advice, and hell, maybe someone knows someone who knows someone.

This is probably the worst possible place to post this(and yes, I have been applying on USAJOBS etc), but its worth a shot.

9. bucketheader

bucketheader
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm looking for any music performance work in the Boston area.

Specifics: I play guitar, blues/rock/funk/fusion/rnb/metal/soul/you name it. I've been featured in a national guitar magazine (20 at the time, 21 now). Graduating with a BA in music this year. You get the point

I'm looking for any kind of work-- cover band, wedding band, studio works for hire, original band, scoring films, hell, I'd give lessons if the price is right. whatever. Gigs don't even have to be paid, but I'll be pretty critical of whether or not I will take them if that's the case.

Let me know if you or someone you know is in need.

10. saintsfan

saintsfan
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I'm gonna be in the Boston area Nov. 5-8 for work but will have some down time. Anything I shouldn't miss? Can anyone recommend any cool bars or good restaurants?

11. Dyson004

Dyson004
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Is there anyone in DC that can recommend a cheap gym that's either open 24 hours a day or keeps really late hours? I'm looking for something in NW DC, that's preferably Metro accessible. If it happens to have a heavy bag, that'd kick ass too. I would just use my University's weight room, but it's only open from 5PM to 9PM during the week. I'm usually busy during that time. I either need to go very early, or very late.

Thanks in advance.

12. cynismus

cynismus
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

As mentioned in the stalkeration thread, let's drink in Dallas.

I mean it. I usually drink with my coworkers on Fridays in Las Colinas. PM me if you are inclined to join us there or want to set something up for elsewhere.

13. cuOL66

cuOL66
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

What a fucking week. If you;re in Atlanta, I'll be out and about all weekend, in super-destructo mode. Feel like grabbing a drink, PM me, and I'd love a larger audience to make an ass of myself. I'll be in various buckhead area bars (I'm 24, and I drink free there, don't judge me!) tonight, and tomorrow, I'll be big drunken black Santa.

14. Lorelei

Lorelei
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I'll be in St. Louis next week for four days with a bunch of nerds at a conference. I've never been there before so restaurant recommendations (ideally ones with a bar I can dine at so I don't completely look like a loser eating by myself) would be appreciated. Also, if there's anything I should see other than the giant arch- clue me in. Thanks!

15. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If anyone knows any headhunters in the Twin Cities area, I will be looking for a job in the next couple of months. CVS has decided to move our HQ from here in Minneapolis out to Woonsocket, RI.

I'm in IT/finance and mainly do statistics/programming/project work.

16. monkey0726

monkey0726
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

For D.C.

Can anyone recommend a romantic restaurant? It doesn't need to be fancy or anything (but it can be), just something with a cool atmosphere or view. Maybe around Georgetown? Or anywhere Northwest really.

17. DrinksOnTheHouse

DrinksOnTheHouse
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

In Bakersfield, CA for work until middle of next week. Not really any time to drink, but looking for some decent food options.

18. roy jones

roy jones
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Pittsburgh, PA--November 15--Thrice is at Diesel. Any others in attendance?

19. StarLit

StarLit
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Anybody in D.C. and got tips on ways to meet new people? I just moved here for a new job 2 months ago, and have been so busy with work I haven't had a chance to really get out.

20. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is more in line with a "can somebody help me with this" bit, but does anyone know of a way to look for flights that comply with the Fly America Act? I'm trying to get to Russia to study abroad and most flights into that country are Russian, French, Czech, Polish, or otherwise non-American.