Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Nettdata's Story

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nettdata, May 5, 2014.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I've been getting a lot of questions about my sudden reappearance, and asking about what happened, etc., so I thought I'd post a quick update for everyone.

Basically, a couple of years ago, a lot of shit went down:

• C.hater really pissed me off by fucking around delaying a major upgrade/migration to vBulletin I'd spent days working on, only to have his typical "dude I got so wasted and fucked this really hot chick" excuse
    • The Powers That Be at my job at the time were doing a fantastic job of totally fucking up the successful launch of Mechwarrior Online, Mechwarrior Tactics, and Sins of a Dark age, and I'd sided with the 3 game studios I was overseeing, and was being threatened with law suits, all sorts of shit.
    • My dad's health went in the shitter, with equal parts heart problems and depression.
    • My sister's health took a bit of a dive as her MS kicked back in.
    • My mom was losing it, and I was living in BC while they were all in Ontario.

So, I did what I had to do, and sold off the majority of my big-ticket items, put my key shit into storage, and moved back to Ontario.

I spent some time and built up an old Jeep and spent 6 weeks camping/fishing my way across the country, only to have the rear diff blow up just outside of DCC's neck of the woods, so I spent a week at her place. She's a fantastic hostess, by the way. Even if I did get suckered into helping her grade her back yard for a new shed.

You can see pics of my trip here, if you're interested: http://imgur.com/a/yVGSm

Needless to say, life got busy, and, quite frankly, I'd grown bored of TiB and just had enough of it. So I just stopped coming here. It wasn't anything personal... it was just a fair bit of work and wasn't worth the shit any more.

Anyway, I've been living with my folks for a couple of years, and things are now back to normal again, and I'm about to move back to BC. I was curious about what was going on around here, and a few TiB'ers tracked me down on Reddit and said I should drop by, so I did.

I found things kind of run down and thought I'd do something about it... even if it did break shit for a while.

That's about it... nothing really cryptic or anything... just changing interests over time.

Hope that clears things up, but thanks for asking.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Wow man, based on all that shit I don't blame you. Quite a story though. You planning on sticking around now or heading back off once this place is back in working order?

3. Mastro

Mastro
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I think the key to this question is how things are going now, given the threat of lawsuits and the health of your family?

Given that litigation can take years, and health - once it hits a certain point - can require constant care for the afflicted (or a closer proximity as you stated by living with your parents), it isn't hard to imagine your life has changed significantly. Whether said changes are permanent is a different story.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm thinking I'll be around for a while now...

Again, the family health thing has improved greatly, and that legal stuff was a couple of years ago. After being threatened three times by their corporate counsel, I basically said "bring it on... the truth is an ultimate defence", and being one of the first guys at the company, I knew where all the bodies were buried, and I knew all the right questions to ask the right people to get it ALL out in the open. I have an extended family of lawyers and had nothing but free time on my hands, and told them I would have deposed anyone and everyone to defend myself. There was a ton of shit they didn't want their investors or "partners" (the game studios) to find out, so they sent me a nice "Thanks, we've decided to be the bigger person and forgive your actions" letter. The ultimate karma has been realized, though, in that two of the three companies are now bankrupt, and the third has shrunk from 120 employees to just 2. They are, for all intents and purposes, dead.

I've been ready to move on for the last 6 months, but its been tough finding a gig in these parts... which is why I'm moving back to BC. As much as I wanted to stay near the family, I got a great job offer out of the blue from some old acquaintances out West... a two year old software start-up funded by Disney and the Steve Jobs Foundation, and I'm stepping in as CTO.

So yeah, life is good right now, on all fronts.

Which is why I have time and the interest in TiB again, really.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

So you're in this area for now? Hopefully not London. This town has never sucked worse than right now.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep... London. Why do you think I'm bailing as fast as I am?

Brake lights on the 24th.

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Who's your Nettdaddy?

I like the hostile takeover, ass-kicking style of repairs around this place. No more banner ads and no evidence that C h a t e r was ever here. I seem to remember him telling a story about a liver transplant and almost dying or something. I went to do a search to see if I could recall it, and there's no C.hater or Kojak (or happyfuntime13) in the member list.

Anyway, I like the fast speed and correct links, and I like the member purging, and I look forward to watching the lightning bolts strike somebody who posts an emoticon. Good times. Welcome back, Nett!

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Re: Who's your Nettdaddy?

Too late, he already set a dangerous precedent by posting a winky smiley. We are all doomed.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Do as I say, not as I do.

10. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

If I may interject a question... why is everyone spelling it "C H A T E R" or "C.hater"? If you type his name, does it ring his Batphone or something?

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

happy ending

Try it, then read your post.

12. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

From what I can tell, "C" ishis real name (correct me if I'm wrong) and he did it for professional reasons? Or something?

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Re: happy ending

Chater.

I don't see the problem...

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Where's my tinfoil hat?

Heh.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

happy ending

Speaking of deleting people . . . I know jack squat about servers and messageboards and whatever else it takes for this place, but do you have to manually purge all the spam members? Are you able to write some kind of macro or whatever to delete the spam members every now and then? It looks like 15 or so have "joined" just since last night. I can see how that will get tiresome really quickly.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's kind of a mix of things...

The main underpinnings of the board is the database. A database consists of many different tables that contain data, and have various relations.

For instance, there's a user table:

Code:
    mysql> describe phpbb_users;
    +--------------------------+-----------------------+------+-----+-----------+----------------+
    | Field                    | Type                  | Null | Key | Default   | Extra          |
    +--------------------------+-----------------------+------+-----+-----------+----------------+
    | user_id                  | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   | PRI | NULL      | auto_increment |
    | user_type                | tinyint(2)            | NO   | MUL | 0         |                |
    | group_id                 | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   |     | 3         |                |
    | user_permissions         | longtext              | NO   |     | NULL      |                |
    | user_perm_from           | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_ip                  | varchar(40)           | NO   |     |           |                |
    | user_regdate             | int(11) unsigned      | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | username                 | varchar(255)          | NO   |     |           |                |
    | username_clean           | varchar(255)          | NO   | UNI |           |                |
    | user_password            | varchar(40)           | NO   |     |           |                |
    | user_passchg             | int(11) unsigned      | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_pass_convert        | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_email               | varchar(100)          | NO   |     |           |                |
    | user_email_hash          | bigint(20)            | NO   | MUL | 0         |                |
    | user_birthday            | varchar(10)           | NO   | MUL |           |                |
    | user_lastvisit           | int(11) unsigned      | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_lastmark            | int(11) unsigned      | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_lastpost_time       | int(11) unsigned      | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_lastpage            | varchar(200)          | NO   |     |           |                |
    | user_last_confirm_key    | varchar(10)           | NO   |     |           |                |
    | user_last_search         | int(11) unsigned      | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_warnings            | tinyint(4)            | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_last_warning        | int(11) unsigned      | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_login_attempts      | tinyint(4)            | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_inactive_reason     | tinyint(2)            | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_inactive_time       | int(11) unsigned      | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_posts               | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_lang                | varchar(30)           | NO   |     |           |                |
    | user_timezone            | decimal(5,2)          | NO   |     | 0.00      |                |
    | user_dst                 | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_dateformat          | varchar(30)           | NO   |     | d M Y H:i |                |
    | user_style               | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_rank                | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_colour              | varchar(6)            | NO   |     |           |                |
    | user_new_privmsg         | int(4)                | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_unread_privmsg      | int(4)                | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_last_privmsg        | int(11) unsigned      | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_message_rules       | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_full_folder         | int(11)               | NO   |     | -3        |                |
    | user_emailtime           | int(11) unsigned      | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_topic_show_days     | smallint(4) unsigned  | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_topic_sortby_type   | varchar(1)            | NO   |     | t         |                |
    | user_topic_sortby_dir    | varchar(1)            | NO   |     | d         |                |
    | user_post_show_days      | smallint(4) unsigned  | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_post_sortby_type    | varchar(1)            | NO   |     | t         |                |
    | user_post_sortby_dir     | varchar(1)            | NO   |     | a         |                |
    | user_notify              | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_notify_pm           | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 1         |                |
    | user_notify_type         | tinyint(4)            | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_allow_pm            | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 1         |                |
    | user_allow_viewonline    | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 1         |                |
    | user_allow_viewemail     | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 1         |                |
    | user_allow_massemail     | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 1         |                |
    | user_options             | int(11) unsigned      | NO   |     | 895       |                |
    | user_avatar              | varchar(255)          | NO   |     |           |                |
    | user_avatar_type         | tinyint(2)            | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_avatar_width        | smallint(4) unsigned  | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_avatar_height       | smallint(4) unsigned  | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_sig                 | longtext              | NO   |     | NULL      |                |
    | user_sig_bbcode_uid      | varchar(8)            | NO   |     |           |                |
    | user_sig_bbcode_bitfield | varchar(255)          | NO   |     |           |                |
    | user_from                | varchar(100)          | NO   |     |           |                |
    | user_icq                 | varchar(15)           | NO   |     |           |                |
    | user_aim                 | varchar(255)          | NO   |     |           |                |
    | user_yim                 | varchar(255)          | NO   |     |           |                |
    | user_msnm                | varchar(255)          | NO   |     |           |                |
    | user_jabber              | varchar(255)          | NO   |     |           |                |
    | user_website             | varchar(200)          | NO   |     |           |                |
    | user_occ                 | mediumtext            | NO   |     | NULL      |                |
    | user_interests           | mediumtext            | NO   |     | NULL      |                |
    | user_actkey              | varchar(32)           | NO   |     |           |                |
    | user_newpasswd           | varchar(40)           | NO   |     |           |                |
    | user_form_salt           | varchar(32)           | NO   |     |           |                |
    | user_reputation          | int(11)               | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | user_hide_reputation     | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 0         |                |
    | ad_owner                 | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 0         |                |

And there's a Posts table:

Code:
    mysql> describe phpbb_posts;
    +------------------+-----------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
    | Field            | Type                  | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
    +------------------+-----------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
    | post_id          | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
    | topic_id         | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   | MUL | 0       |                |
    | forum_id         | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   | MUL | 0       |                |
    | poster_id        | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   | MUL | 0       |                |
    | icon_id          | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | poster_ip        | varchar(40)           | NO   | MUL |         |                |
    | post_time        | int(11) unsigned      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | post_approved    | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   | MUL | 1       |                |
    | post_reported    | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | enable_bbcode    | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 1       |                |
    | enable_smilies   | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 1       |                |
    | enable_magic_url | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 1       |                |
    | enable_sig       | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 1       |                |
    | post_username    | varchar(255)          | NO   |     |         |                |
    | post_subject     | varchar(255)          | NO   |     |         |                |
    | post_text        | mediumtext            | NO   |     | NULL    |                |
    | post_checksum    | varchar(32)           | NO   |     |         |                |
    | post_attachment  | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | bbcode_bitfield  | varchar(255)          | NO   |     |         |                |
    | bbcode_uid       | varchar(8)            | NO   |     |         |                |
    | post_postcount   | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 1       |                |
    | post_edit_time   | int(11) unsigned      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | post_edit_reason | varchar(255)          | NO   |     |         |                |
    | post_edit_user   | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | post_edit_count  | smallint(4) unsigned  | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | post_edit_locked | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    and a Topics table:

Code:
    mysql> describe phpbb_topics
        -> ;
    +---------------------------+-----------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
    | Field                     | Type                  | Null | Key | Default | Extra          |
    +---------------------------+-----------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
    | topic_id                  | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   | PRI | NULL    | auto_increment |
    | forum_id                  | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   | MUL | 0       |                |
    | icon_id                   | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | topic_attachment          | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | topic_approved            | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   | MUL | 1       |                |
    | topic_reported            | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | topic_title               | varchar(255)          | NO   |     |         |                |
    | topic_poster              | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | topic_time                | int(11) unsigned      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | topic_time_limit          | int(11) unsigned      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | topic_views               | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | topic_replies             | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | topic_replies_real        | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | topic_status              | tinyint(3)            | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | topic_type                | tinyint(3)            | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | topic_first_post_id       | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | topic_first_poster_name   | varchar(255)          | NO   |     |         |                |
    | topic_first_poster_colour | varchar(6)            | NO   |     |         |                |
    | topic_last_post_id        | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | topic_last_poster_id      | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | topic_last_poster_name    | varchar(255)          | NO   |     |         |                |
    | topic_last_poster_colour  | varchar(6)            | NO   |     |         |                |
    | topic_last_post_subject   | varchar(255)          | NO   |     |         |                |
    | topic_last_post_time      | int(11) unsigned      | NO   | MUL | 0       |                |
    | topic_last_view_time      | int(11) unsigned      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | topic_moved_id            | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | topic_bumped              | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | topic_bumper              | mediumint(8) unsigned | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | poll_title                | varchar(255)          | NO   |     |         |                |
    | poll_start                | int(11) unsigned      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | poll_length               | int(11) unsigned      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | poll_max_options          | tinyint(4)            | NO   |     | 1       |                |
    | poll_last_vote            | int(11) unsigned      | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    | poll_vote_change          | tinyint(1) unsigned   | NO   |     | 0       |                |
    34 rows in set (0.00 sec)
    Those descriptions are of the table columns... so in other words, a row of data in those tables is made up of those various elements.

Consider a user in the user table... they have a single row in that table, and it consists of all that information that's listed there.

And some of the tables are related, in that posts and topics are owned by a user, and a topic is a special kind of post, and posts belong to a topic.

Well, I can connect directly into the DB and interact with those tables and the data within them using what's called SQL:

Code:
    select phpbb_posts.poster_id pid, phpbb_users.username,  count(phpbb_posts.post_id) cc from phpbb_posts, phpbb_users where post_approved = 0 and phpbb_posts.poster_id = phpbb_users.user_id group by pid order by cc;

select phpbb_posts.poster_id pid, phpbb_users.username,  count(phpbb_posts.post_id) cc from phpbb_posts, phpbb_users where post_approved = 0 and phpbb_posts.poster_id = phpbb_users.user_id group by pid order by cc;

select poster_id, count(post_approved) cc from phpbb_posts where post_approved = 0 group by poster_id order by cc;

select phpbb_users.username, count(phpbb_posts.post_id) cc from phpbb_posts, phpbb_users where phpbb_users.user_id not in (select unique(poster_id) from phpbb_posts where post_approved = 1)

select p.poster_id as userid, u.username as username, count(post_id) as total_posts from phpbb_posts p, phpbb_users u where p.poster_id = u.user_id and u.user_id in (select user_id from phpbb_users where user_posts=0) group by userid order by total_posts;

select t.topic_poster as userid, u.username as username, count(t.topic_id) as total_topics from phpbb_topics t, phpbb_users u where t.topic_poster = u.user_id and t.forum_id = 6 and u.user_id in (select user_id from phpbb_users where user_posts = 0) group by userid order by total_topics;

Those are some of the queries I wrote in order to hunt for spammers, etc.

The problem is that I can't just delete a user from the user table, I then have to go find the topics/posts that they have and delete those. And if one of those topics is referenced by another topic, I have to deal with that as well.

The website itself has some clunky interfaces for deleting individual users and all their posts, enforcing that data integrity as defined by the tables.

Basically what I did was write a bunch of code that searched for users that met certain criteria (number of posts, type of user, number of unapproved posts, etc), and then generate a list of users. I then went in and pasted that list of users into the site admin screen and had it go through the process of removing them safely and completely.

It took a LONG time.

And the other problem is that there are a shit-ton of tables... 70 in all, that have to be checked... those are just a few of the main ones that I focused on.

So yeah, trying to understand what's called the "data model" (how all the data relates to each other) and manually doing shit that won't break things too badly is tricky, but necessary.

For instance, yesterday's "shit is really fucked up" problem came because there's a "special" user called Anonymous in the user table that looks like a spammer (at least to my scripts), but in reality is a special user that is used EVERYWHERE in the code, hard-wired into the pages, so that when I accidentally deleted it, the whole site took a dump and people couldn't log in, etc. As soon as I added that user back to the table, everything was working again. But it took me a couple of hours tracing code to figure out why that was happening, and then digging up the old user info to shove back in the tables.

17. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well everyone is glad you're back. Hope you stick around, we really did filter out a lot of the super annoying people who just said shit to get on people's nerves. Now with the new mods and hopefully people, we can hold ground against the reddits of the world.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Reddit has its place, but I find that the big or popular subs are a PITA. I'll use them to be introduced to something (news article or stupid picture, etc), but I find that the more people there are in the "discussion", the less of a discussion there is, and the 14andIthinkThisIsFunny crowd descend on the thread and propagate the weakest viewpoint.

I'd rather have an interesting discussion about something with a smaller number of smarter people any day.

It's all about the signal:noise.

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

This, in short, is what makes this board so awesome to me. The ability to have an interesting discussion, with almost every member contributing something interesting if not funny. That the conversations happen to be hilarious (or get hijacked into hilarious side-topics) is what makes it all the better.

I hope to see more and more of that.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Please tell me you still have your BC property. Because a) it's a paradise and more importantly b) I want more videos of assholes falling into icy lakes.