Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Netflix Watch Instantly Gems

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Pap, Feb 24, 2010.

1. WickedBitch

WickedBitch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is that the one where he fucks Amy Smart in the middle of the street? Best part of the whole series, if you ask me.

Anti-Focus: Dexter is gone all of a sudden. MOTHERFUCKER! I watched most of the first season way back when but now that I'm ready to get after it again, it disappears?! Eat a dick, Showtime!

2. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I watched all 76 episodes (including the 3 hour mini-series and special episode) of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica over the past 4 weeks or so, and it is pretty stellar. Sure, there are some plot holes and some character stories that don't get resolved completely satisfactorily, and some of the characters act in unexpected ways at times seemingly just to create conflict, but I was very pleased. It's a solid action/drama set in a simple sci fi universe.

3. Rudolph

Rudolph
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Just watched Dear Jeffrey last night. Basic story is "A filmmaker decides to memorialize a murdered friend when his friend's ex-girlfriend announces she is expecting his son." However, it'll make you feel every emotion in the spectrum by the ending. Very well done, very human. Highly recommended, but bring the tissues.

4. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It looks like all of the Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes are now up on Instant Watch.

5. Glass Onion

Glass Onion
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Luther

I stumbled across the first season of this BBC drama, starring Idris Elba, who I've always enjoyed (Stringer Bell from The Wire, in case you don't know). I'm pretty finicky with the shows I watch purely for entertainment value. I'm always on the lookout for fast-paced shows that I can watch and be consistently entertained by. This show is that, and then some. Elba plays John Luther, a high-ranking detective for the London police. The dialogue is very well-done for such a quick, action-heavy show. Each episode seems to focus on a single case that Luther is trying to solve (I'm only 3 episodes in), but there is a thread of narrative that runs throughout them all. These cases involve a single, sadistic killer. And my God, are these characters compelling. Almost too compelling, though. The back stories and motives behind the killers are almost too much for a single episode, even though each one spans 50-plus minutes. I think a show like Dexter, for instance, could have ran with each killer from the three episodes I've watched for an entire season. The show's creators manage to fit a single villain into each episode by going light on the whole "find the killer" aspect. At least halfway through each episode, Luther already knows who the killer is, and it is all a matter of catching them with the smoking gun in their hand. However, this does lead to very compelling interactions between Luther and the killers. They often meet at one point in the middle of the episode, and there is that air of "I know who you are and what you have done, but I can't come outright and say it" present. These interactions have the feeling of a chess match. Very smart for such a fast, action-heavy show. Highly recommended.

6. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just saw that They Live starring Rowdy Roddy Piper is on watch instantly. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it.

7. Backroom

Backroom
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not sure if its been posted already but even if it is I think it deserves another mention, "Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father."

The movie is about a man that was killed by his ex-girlfriend, who then announces she is pregnant with his child, and the man's parents battling for custody of the child. The thing is that this is only about 3/4 of it, the rest is up to you to see.

As a 24 year old male, I've honestly never gotten teary eyed during a movie, but I wept like a fucking baby towards the end of this one.

I've never felt more strongly on a movie recommendation in my life, I know I sound preachy, but you owe it to yourself to see it.

8. JoshP

JoshP
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

TV Shows & Comedy Specials:
    Mad Men
    Nip/Tuck
    Psych
    Better Off Ted
    Jim Gaffigan Beyond the Pale
    Nick Swardson : Seriously Who Farted

Movies:
    Iron Man 2
    The Crazies
    Way of the Gun
    The Fighter
    The Mark of Cain (Documentary on Russian prison tattoos)
    The Wild and Wonderful Whites (This is just the best documentary on white trash ever)

9. InspektorGadget

InspektorGadget
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I recommend the movie Rubber. Instant classic. Give it a chance and you won't regret it.

10. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Haven't seen it yet, but Hobo with a Shotgun is on Instant, I've heard good things.

11. Tuesday

Tuesday
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yes. A thousand times yes. This movie is quite possibly the best (worst) movie I have ever seen. We just watched this and laughed nearly non stop. People are going to think we're psychopaths when we quote one liners from this. "You make me so horny I want to cut my dick off and rub it on your titties"

We also had no idea it came out this year. Instant Classic.

12. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not having seen it when it initially aired, someone recommended Newsradio to me and I was glad to see the full show is on Netflix. Great show. Phil Hartman is fantastic and Stephen Root (Milton from office space) does a good job in his role. Andy Dick is surprisingly decent from what I've watched so far. Definitely looks like this was before he went crazy and started doing coke and sucking dick. Unfortunately it's square formatted and the volume is at about 300% so make sure you turn it way down while watching, but if you are looking for an older show to catch up on, I'd highly recommend it. Half hour episodes and there are less than 100 for the whole series.

13. burned ice cube

burned ice cube
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Breaking Bad is now on streaming. I watched the first two seasons and am really happy I will be able to catch up on the third before the new season is over. Hopefully I will be all caught up by the time the season on TV right now is over.

A brief explanation of the show: A Nobel prize winning chemist is working as a high school teacher when he is diagnosed with terminal cancer. He worries about providing for his family when his son has CP with an unborn daughter on the way. He uses his background in chemistry to start cooking some high quality meth. I wont spoil the rest for ya, but it is a very VERY well done show. The main character is the dad from Malcolm in the Middle.

14. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Office: Season 7 and Psych: Season 5 are both on streaming now, pretty excited for both.

15. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Wonder Years is now available for streaming. I am pretty sure that every episode is on there.

16. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Any of the original score or is it dubbed over with Midi music like Married With Children's intro is? Still awesome. Great series.

17. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The theme song sounds like a different version. I have only watched the first 4 episodes but it sounds like the music that they have used in the episodes is unchanged.

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Watching the first one, does sound like a slight different version of the opening theme, but still Joe Cocker. Odd.

19. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

The office, season 7 starts streaming just as El Fiance's netflix is canceled. Joy.

20. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

He didn't, just turns out that I'm a retard, as usual. Now I can watch the office!