Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Netflix Watch Instantly Gems

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Pap, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

BASEketball!

Absolutely love this movie, definitely making the GF watch it this weekend.

2. Flagrant

Flagrant
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The other night while adjusting to a night shift schedule, I fired up the Netflix and took a gamble with Cashback
    [​IMG]

Basically a guy goes through an extremely painful breakup with his girlfriend, he develops an insomnia, and begins working at an all night grocery store. While continuing to pursue his art, he slowly falls for a girl he works with. His way of It had moments of humor, and was all in all a pretty enjoyable movie. It did have some gratuitous tittery, but was a very laid back movie to sit and enjoy at 4:00am.

I wouldn't go out of my way to watch this, but if you're just looking for a laid back movie, definitely check it out. It reminded me a little bit of Garden State, just with more boobs.

3. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

FYI, if you're like me and haven't seen Once Upon a Time in America yet, noticed it on Instant and kept saying you'd 'get to it' (4 fucking hours? This better be good), you better get to it now because tomorrow is the last day it's available.

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

It's a movie that I saw on TV a long time ago, but it remains one of my favorites. See No Evil, Hear No Evil is a movie from the 80s with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. They are a great duo together and I looked that movie up on Netflix. It's there! Wilder plays a deaf guy and Pryor plays a blind guy, and together they get into a spot of trouble, but together have all the necessary senses to pull through.

It's a silly and lighthearted 80s comedy. If you're into that, and like Wilder, you'll really love this movie.

5. WickedBitch

WickedBitch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What a coincidence! Actually, I just added that to my instant queue this evening (I saw it in theaters way back in the day, after begging my mom for a week to take me to see it) right before I fired up Haunted Honeymoon which is one of my all-time favorite movies. I have an odd crush on Gene Wilder. Well, younger Gene Wilder anyway. I like my men funny.

6. ryan mc

ryan mc
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I just noticed that "Kick-Ass" is available as of yesterday. You may have to use the search function though, it doesn't show up on the main page.

Its a fun, violent, and funny movie for those who haven't seen it. I highly recommend it.

7. BigChops

BigChops
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Patrice O'Neil's Elephant in the Room is the funniest comedy special I've seen in years. He's like the black Louis C.K.

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Have to say I was impressed when I first tried out Netflix when I came back to the states. I actually love the documentaries. But you kind of feel sad when every other one is a 9/11 truther movie or a pot movie. Muuurricans must just love themselves gettin high and watching truther movies. WTF?

Ive been catching up on The Twilight Zone. While at times it can be hokie it has some absolute classic story telling.

9. Frank n Beans

Frank n Beans
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I thought someone mentioned Party Down but I went back a few pages and didn't see it. I just got into the second season and this is one of the funniest shows I've seen. It's a Starz original so you don't get any holding back. Definitely check it out if you like shows like The League or Archer

10. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's also a bunch on the greed of banks and big corporations.

Not sure if you've seen it yet, but Bigger, Stronger, Faster is probably the best overall documentary they have in terms of storytelling and comedy it's just flat out awesome, regardless of where you stand on the issue of steroids.

I think it's in the 'recommend a show' thread, because I definitely heard about it on this board. One thing I will say, even if you don't like the first episode give the next one or two a try. I almost gave up after the first but stuck with it because of the recommendation on here, and I'm glad I did.

11. Harry Coolahan

Harry Coolahan
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Shutter Island is available on Instant Play. I know the reviews weren't very positive but I thought it was a great, well-done movie that stylized the classic horror/thriller genre. Some people won't like the ending but I thought it added depth to the movie. Recommended for those that haven't seen it yet.

12. awwwSNAP

awwwSNAP
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

STOP THE PRESSES THEY JUST GOT MOTHERFUCKING BATMAN: THE MOVIE!

Holy shit. Christian Bale is good, but Adam West is the greatest Batman of all time. Fuck the haters. This movie is so many kinds of phenomenal I don't know enough adjectives to do it justice. When I was a youth in the early 90s I looked forward to GI Joe reruns in the mornings and Batman reruns at dinner time. This movie is fucking amazing. The TV series was also amazing, but due to some stupid licensing issues it will probably never be available on DVD/blu ray. This is at least a sample of the glory that is old Batman, and anyone who isn't an asshole should watch and appreciate it. Drugs or alcohol recommended, though by no means required.

Plus if you aren't sick of Family Guy yet, even though Wikipedia says they consciously avoid Batman jokes, seeing Adam West's Batman does make Mayor Adam West a good deal funnier.

13. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So Netflix has a shitload of complete animated superhero cartoons from the 90's like Iron Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer. It's perfect for me because they were all shows I got into a bit here and there as a kid but never got to finish. I've been watching X-Men lately and it honestly holds up pretty well, especially since it's only 21 minutes an episode and no commercials.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You know what didn't hold up? Power Rangers. Though Id still fuck the dog shit out of Amy Jo Johnson.

15. palmettosc

palmettosc
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Watched it yesterday with my roommates (25-28 year old dudes) and we all went crazy over the theme.

#115 palmettosc, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  16. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Crank 2 is on instant! Even if you didn't like the first one, give this a watch, one of the most entertaining movies in a LONG time.

17. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I watched SLC Punk last night and it was everything as I remembered it was from college. I had a good friend who was the epitome of one of the main characters through and through and was always entertaining to listen to him talk about politics, culture, the times, etc.
    Lots of booze, rantings about the man, fights, and a lot of back story into the main characters lives, but an all around good movie about the anarchists in Salt Lake City back in the early 90's. There are also a lot of very different characters in it that all tie together in some way or another and they mostly get along. I liked it, so if you have some time to kill, I'd recommend it as a get away from the normal movies of the time.

18. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not to be all KIMastery or anything, but check out "I Saw The Devil", a Korean revenge flick. If you ever saw Oldboy, you'll recognize the antagonist in this particular film. Well paced, brilliantly acted, and extremely well written. Go watch it.

19. Renholder

Renholder
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Blood into Wine is an awesome documentary about Maynard James Keenan's Arizona winery. Not only do you see a side of Maynard that is never shown, but it's a very interesting lesson in wine making in general. Highly recommended.

20. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not sure if I can call it a gem since I haven't seen it, but The Fighter is already on Instant. Also, Mad Men will be on by the end of the month. Sweet.

Oh, and Hot Tub Time Machine has been on for a while. Watch that movie now.