Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Netflix Watch Instantly Gems

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Pap, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Rudolph

Rudolph
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I've started watching Farscape, and I had forgotten just how good the show is. The CGI has aged pretty well, but the puppets and makeup for the aliens really surprised me, as it still looks fantastic. Highly recommended.

2. Frank n Beans

Frank n Beans
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I just watched the first one available today and I think I get the bulk of what's going on. Just in case though, is there anything in the pilot series I need to know going forward with the show?

3. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I pretty much only watch horror movies in October, so I was wondering if anyone knew if any of the watch instantly options are good. The only ones I've heard of are Zombieland (own it, great movie) and Paranormal Activity (which I've heard mixed reviews of, but will probably watch). The Deaths of Ian Stone looks pretty good, but it's so hard to tell with every single other title on there because horror movies always sound incredibly stupid in their descriptions. I wish they would put up some of the classic ones in honor of Halloween. Lame. Anyway, suggestions?

4. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Me and my roommates have spent the last couple months watching nothing but streaming horror movies. But we have rules. We have to pick movies that we've never heard of, and we can't know any actors or the director. We've seen some extremely shitty movies, but also found a few hidden gems.

Good ones (relatively speaking):

Triangle - This is a mindfuck of a story, but doesn't get so convoluted that it's difficult to keep up with. And it's pretty creepy in a 'what the fuck is going on here?' kind of a way, if that makes sense.

Frontiers - This is a French film, so you'll be reading subtitles, but it is totally worth it. There are some really creepy and disturbing parts and the last half of the movie has very little dialogue so you won't be reading the whole time. Probably my favorite one we've seen so far.

Isolation - This is an Irish movie about genetically engineered cows. It's a lot better and a lot scarier than it sounds. Trust me.

Alive or Dead - Nothing special, but it's still one of the better ones we've picked. The plot they give you on netflix is all you need to know. It's worth a shot anyway.

Session 9 - This movie is pretty slow, which I don't mind if it's done right, but the payoff left a lot to be desired. Still, there were some scary moments and it's worth watching if you have 90 minutes to kill.

Absurd, funny ones:

Teeth - A movie about a woman who has teeth in her vagina. Seriously. They activate and bite off whatever is in there if she is feeling violated in any way. It's actually fairly well made and pretty funny at times. It's more of a drama instead of a horror, but it's worth a watch.

Hanger - A prostitute gets pregnant. Her pimp yanks the fetus out with a hanger and throws it in the dumpster. The hooker dies but the fetus lives and is raised by a homeless guy. The rest of the movie includes revenge, killings, hilarious characters (the Justin Long look-a-like is over the top!) and a lot of gratuitous (seriously, no point at all) masturbation scenes by the only hot girl in the movie. Watch this one with your children!

Beware! Children at Play - Terrible, terrible movie. Nothing really happens throughout the movie, and the quality of everything is extremely sub-par, but the final 5 minutes are fucking hilarious.

5. Justadude

Justadude
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

For all the history nerds out there "Son of the Morning Star" parts 1&2 are now streaming. Its basically the 90s version of Custer's adventures in the West from the white and Native prospectives. Great pics of the landscapes.

6. j. walter weatherman

j. walter weatherman
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia

Documentary that follows the lives of the White family.

"portrayal of the most extreme dope-addled, gas-huffing, alcoholic, robbing, murderous, criminal redneck family in a nation brimming over with 'em."

7. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Centurion: Roman soldiers trying to capture northern England run up against a bunch of murderous Braveheart type people. My description sucks but the movie is seriously entertaining and has some of the most brutal battle scenes I've ever seen in a movie. You will yell "HOLY FUCK!" many times.

8. JGL

JGL
    Expand Collapse
    Lurker

Restrepo. It's a documentary about a platoon of Airborne Infantry on a 15 month deployment in the Korengal Valley. Brilliantly done.

9. Judas

Judas
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Sorry if this has been posted already, but Better Off Ted is one of my favorite shows that was cancelled before its time (along with Arrested Development, Party Down, and now Terriers) and is now streaming the only two seasons on Netflix. It's a clever show and the characters are perfectly cast, especially Portia de Rossi from Arrested Development. She has an uncommon knack for being in brilliant but cancelled comedies.

Also, no laugh track. This is a must when I watch TV.

10. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The first two seasons of Lie to Me are up. There are pretty much no overarching story lines for any of the characters, so you can watch a random episode at will. Tim Roth nails the lead character.

11. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In case anyone didnt know...All 7 seasons of the Trailer Park Boys is now streaming on Netflix.

12. Poopourri

Poopourri
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Finally getting around to watching The Larry Sanders Show in it's entirety, which I've been meaning to do since I was sixteen. So goddamn funny.

From the description:
    It's one of the best shows to ever be on television, period.

13. Rudolph

Rudolph
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Started watching the British version of Skins this last weekend, and it's pretty interesting so far. Sex, drugs, drinking, violence, all with 17 year old kids. Took me a bit to get used to the accents, but now I'm really enjoying the dialogue and characters.

14. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been on a British TV kick myself. I've been pleasantly surprised with the show Pulling. It's about a thirty year old woman who realizes the day before her wedding she's unhappy with the direction her life is heading in, pulls out of the marriage in moves in with a couple of her friends, drunk hilarity ensues. The closest show I can relate it to is Sex in the City, but Pulling doesn't make me want to set myself on fire.

15. mekka

mekka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Rampage
    Very simple movie. Yes, it's by Uwe Boll, but get over that for a second.

A kid gets pissed off at society, and for the first 30 minutes they give a general summary about why he's all pissed off. Materialism, consumption, haves vs have-nots, etc etc. Whatever.

Then, for the next hour or so, he walks around town shooting people. If you're going to criticize themes, character development, police response tactics or if you get offended by the senseless killing of innocent people, then this movie is not for you. If you want a mindless movie where somebody gets pissed off and walks around shooting hundreds of people if for no other reason than he thinks there's a good chance that they're a dick, then you'll love it.

16. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Christ, you and some other kid in the Old Movie thread both pimping this piece of shit in the same day.

I got talked into watching this by a German friend (apparently, they don't hate Boll as much over there), and boy, did I regret it. It's boring as fuck; 80 minutes long, and literally 40 minutes is the repetition of the same scene or dialogue, over and over and over, ad naseum.

The "action" itself is boring, stupid, and no better or worse than a standard cheap knockoff Mexican or Indian action film.

Look, I love innocent civilians being gunned down as much as the next guy, but does it have be so damn boring, stupid, and repetitive?

No one watched this film to hear Uwe Boll's thoughts on philosophy and politics, and there is a LOT of it in this picture, more than the actual third-rate violence.

17. mekka

mekka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Lucky for us, my review has the line
    I'm not going to get into one of the pissing contests you seem to so desperately crave everywhere you post, but everything I said about the movie holds true. I at no point called it smart. The above quote was my selling point. Uwe Boll's politics have nothing to do with it. Again, lucky for us, I said in my stunningly concise review:

Once again, I described the movie as is. I found it a rather enjoyable waste of 84 minutes, and didn't try to sell it as anything but. I didn't say the violence was anything special, I said it's a guy walking around town shooting people for an hour. To a normal person, that's all they'll see too, and if they're in the market for that sort of movie then they'll enjoy it. If, however (and I thought I made this perfectly fucking clear - apparently not) they have any other expectations, they will be disappointed. I don't see what's so hard about this.

18. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But that's the whole fucking point; it's not a fun mindless movie.

Most of it is the kid spouting off his political views with shitty electronica blaring in the background. And then working out. And then talking to his parents. This is then played in a loop over and over throughout the "Rampage", and occupies more of the 80 minute runtime than any actual killing!

Hell, there is only about 40-50 minutes of unique footage period; the rest is just repeated and recycled endlessly through flashbacks.

Are those 70 minutes of nauseating shit worth the 10 minutes of third-rate, boring action, no different than that Mexican action film playing on Telemundo?

I say no. You evidently think yes, which is fine, it's your opinion, but if you're going to defend Boll's piece of shit, at least be fucking honest about what the hell it is.

If I read your review before seeing it, then decided to waste time/money ordering "Rampage", only to see there is more bullshit Uwe Boll political commentary than actual killing, I would be pissed.

19. Arctic_Scrap

Arctic_Scrap
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You need to settle the hell down with the shit you post when you disagree with something. Based on what I see you post you're, at best, in your early 20s and that makes me older than you by a few years. Does that mean anything? No. Going around and laying down the "kid" shit just because you disagree with something is fucking stupid. I never said it was a great movie either, I merely posted about what it is and only mentioned it's something different than the standard movie. No one gives a shit about who directed it. I realize you may have a ton of time to sit around and watch all your obscure movies and that's fine but keep your mouth shut about what someone else says about one. This is the only time I'll post something like this but I know it isn't the first directed at you.

20. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Last night, I saw "Exam" in the Thriller section.

In the very near future, 8 people of varying skillsets, ethnicity and personality are put into a room with a one way mirror. There are eight desks with an answer sheet and a pencil on each. An armed guard stands next to the doorway. They are given one question to answer. They are given a couple of rules. One, they may not ruin their answer sheets. Two, they may not communicate with the guard or the man running the test. Three, they may not leave the room for any reason. There is an 80 minute time limit. Breaking any of the rules disqualifies them. The goal is a job with a Fortune 500 corporation that will set them up for life. As the movie goes on, it's revealed why this job is so valued and why people will do whatever it takes to get it.

I've always been a fan of semi-plausible future settings and this is definitely one of those. I thought the interaction of the applicants was well done and made me think about what I'd do in their situation. If you can handle the fact that 98% of the movie takes place in what appears to be a steel and cement interrogation room, I'd recommend it highly.

4 out of 5.