Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Netflix Watch Instantly Gems

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Pap, Feb 24, 2010.

1. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Definitely enjoyed the hell out of this last night...

[​IMG]
    Somewhat more serious feeling and maybe not as obscenely hilarious as the first one, but still a must watch if you enjoy laughing.

I saw the first movie prior to ever seeing the show and all of it is still instantly funny.

Trailer Park Boys: Countown to Liquor Day. Kick back with a mixed drink and a joint and enjoy it.

2. DAMAGGOT

DAMAGGOT
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The movie "Felon" with Val Kilmer was actually very entertaining. For those bored enough, I would spend a little free time watching it.

3. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you like stand-up comedy, you can now stream what looks like the complete Comedy Central Presents archive. That's over 200 stand-up specials, all the gems.

4. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

None of these are by any means obscure, but they deserve mentioning.
    Zombieland just got added as a new movie. It's fairly recent (released last fall) and very entertaining. Woody Harrelson playing Woody Harrelson killing zombies.
    Also, if you have a lot of time to kill, Vols 1-4 of Futurama as well as several Futurama standalone movies are now available. Sure it's syndicated on Cartoon Network & Comedy Central w/ new eps on the latter, but it doesn't matter. The show's obviously hilarious.
    Also, I just saw that "The Imaginationland Trilogy" of South Park is available. It's 3 episodes from Season 11 that could have been a standalone movie.

5. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Several movies I found recently, if you need something that won't make you think at all.

I just watched Days of Thunder, which could turn anyone into a NASCAR fan. it's basically Top Gun, with cars isntead of planes. simply awesome.

Bachelor Party with Tom Hanks. Which is fucking hilarious.

Caddy Shack
    National Lampoons Vacation
    Revenge of the Nerds I-IV

6. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mongol is now on instant, fucking awesome film, I wrote about it in the old movie thread, but yeah watch it.

7. Frank n Beans

Frank n Beans
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

For those of you looking for good shows, they just added Rescue Me a few weeks ago and I'm two episodes into Season Two and loving it. Most shows take a little to get into, but this one had me hooked in the first episode.

I also see they've added the entire Battlestar Gallatica collection. I haven't watched it but have heard really good things about it. I'll probably give this one a try next.

8. Obviously5Believer

Obviously5Believer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Most people who rave about that show are talking about the new version. What is on NWI is the 1978 TV show so unless you have a boner for old sci-fi shows don't bother.

They've added a shitload of old Nickelodeon shows like Ahh Real Monsters, Rugrats, Ren and Stimpy, Hey Arnold, and Rocko's Modern Life. Mostly good for a little nostalgia rather than actual entertainment.

Also: Strangers With Candy, Ken Burn's The Civil War, Firefly. Which is enough to keep my busy for awhile.

9. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Daniel Tosh: Completly Serious.

I enjoy the blatant racism and I hope you do too.

10. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Just posted a review in the old movie review thread about this great movie Brick.

(From IMDB)
    The lonely teenager Brendan finds his former girlfriend Emily dead in the entrance of a tunnel of sewage and recalls her phone call two days ago, when she said to him that she was in trouble. Brendan, who still loved Emily, met bad elements of his high-school trying to contact her, and when he succeeded, she told him that she was OK. He hides her body in the tunnel and decides to investigate the meaning and connection of four words, including "brick" and "pin", that Emily told him to find who killed her. Using the support of his nerd friend Brain, he successively meets the small time drug dealers Kara, Dode, Brad Bramish, Laura and Tugger, to reach the teenager powerful drug dealer The Pin. Slowly, Brendan unravels the motives why Emily was killed and plots a revenge.

11. Politik

Politik
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Great recommendation, just finished watching this on netflix and it was way better than it's description leads it to be.

897,455/1,000,000

12. waldo

waldo
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Dust to Glory

Its a documentary about the Baja 100, a race in the deserts of Mexico, and it is awesome, a couple of the scenes are just amazing and the whole thing is great. I'm not even a big race fan and I still really enjoyed it.

13. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Been watching a LOT of Watch Instantly flicks ever since figuring out this shit works with the 360.

Lower Learning with Rob Corddry and Jason Biggs. The plot centers around an elementary school where Corddry is the principal who is embezzling from the piece of crap school as they are about to go under. Eva Longoria is terrible in this movie, but its comedy is saved by Corddry and the acting abilities of a couple of little kids. Not a terrible movie by any means. B-

The Education of Charlie Banks with Jesse Eisenberg. Eisenberg is the kid from Zombie Land and Adventureland, he is sort of the next Michael Cera if you will. Not a bad film, although I had my doubts about it after hearing it was from Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit. Eisenberg plays a nerd who rats on one of his best friend's friends for beating the shit out of a couple of guys. He turns up later in his life when hes living with his best friend and the jock, Mick, shows up out of the blue. I liked it more than I would have if the dynamic between the two did not remind me of me and my friend who passed away not long ago. B-

Dandelion is a movie I have liked since seeing it maybe three years ago. It's an indie flick set in a small rural town. The cinematography is amazing, it really shows how beautiful some of the dullest places in the States can be. I got into this movie because a favorite band of mine was featured in the trailer and the trailer got me thinking it would be a solid flick. Vincent Cartheiser and Arliss Howard turn in great performances as a son-father combination. They have a fractured relationship but I enjoyed what they do with the father character rather than going the easy cliche route. They could easily make him the monster of the movie but take a different approach. The female lead played by Taryn Manning is a bit weak. A-

Rocko's Modern Life, The Angry Beavers, Hey Arnold, and Ren & Stimpy are all childhood Nickelodeon favorites of mine that I have been watching after I get torched.

What are some TV shows you guys recommend that are on Netflix Instant Watch? I'm thinking of starting on Quantum Leap, catching up on Weeds and Dexter, starting Rescue Me.

14. Mexicutioner

Mexicutioner
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Above the Rim with Tupac in it was really good. I really disliked the main character at first, he acted such a bitch. I also didn't like how nothing was really done about the bum being killed in the streets. Leon Robinson and Tupac turned in the best performances in this movie. The dynamic of their relationship was interesting. I was hoping to see Wood Harris' character get his ass kicked at some point, but nothing happened until the end. B+

15. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Green Street Hooligans is... NOT on instant. #2 is. What the fuck? I was watching my DVR'd Sons of Anarchy, and felt the urge to follow it up with Jax in his native accent being a hooligan. Not available.

But for any that haven't seen GSH, and HAVE seen Sons, check it out. It'll give you a whole new level of impressed with Charlie Hunam once you see him play a character very different than Jax.

16. jrussellmikkelsen

jrussellmikkelsen
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I noticed a lesser known Paul Newman flick on instant the other day: Hombre

I cannot recommend this movie highly enough. Absolutely love it. It grinds (it moves intentionally slow) in a similar vein as Cool Hand Luke. I've long had those two near the top of my all-time favorites. If you're looking for something with a similar feel to Cool Hand Luke, but have already seen it, try Hombre. The story is unique and fantastic.

17. Rudolph

Rudolph
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Black Dynamite - I don't think I've laughed that hard at a movie in over a year. A blaxploitation parody movie that riffs on every 70s stereotype you can think of. Can't recommend this one enough.

18. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My girlfriend decided we needed to watch Peter and Vandy the other day, an indie hipster-romance movie starring Jason Ritter.

Hey, guess what. It's a fucking indie hipster-romance movie. Of course it's a big flaming piece of shit. I think I lasted 20 minutes.

Dear guy who made this movie: Die.

19. Thorgouge

Thorgouge
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Louie is now on instant queue. Watch it. Enjoy it.

20. burned ice cube

burned ice cube
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

The new Battlestar Galactica series is up on the instant que, I will be restarting the series as soon as I have a few days to dedicate to it. They even have some of the mini-series and such that go with it. The only one they don't have the pilot series, the first episode available is 33.