Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Netflix Watch Instantly Gems

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Pap, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I agree. If the rest of it wasn't solid and very entertaining, I would have quit on principle. You'd think after Mr. Robot, shows would learn to not pull CSI-grade BS with hacking. He hacked into CCTV cameras, GPS satellites and, given what he was doing in some episodes, cracked TLS 1.2...

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought this was decent. Better than some theatrical releases I've seen in the last few years. And, especially if you like tense mysteries where the music is also a character. Good soundtrack choices and good score work.

And, after Domenick Lombardozzi was mentioned in the Reacher thread . . . funny that he shows up here, too.

3. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not Netflix, but on Prime. Anybody else catch Saltburn? The casting, acting, soundtrack and cinematography were so good I couldn't look away. There were a couple of scenes where I couldnt look away for other reasons. I am still processing how I feel about it, but in general if I watched something 48 hours ago and am still thinking about it, it means it was worth watching. I will hold off with my thoughts in case anybody else is thinking of watching so as to not spoil it. However if anybody else would like to discuss the fuckery then please, proceed.

4. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's a movie I've really been looking to watch sometime. I've heard nothing but interesting things and I'll watch Richard E Grant in anything so I may prioritize watching it soon!

5. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just watched this last night- unfortunately with my college aged daughter. I agree on the soundtrack and cinematography, and the acting was truly amazing. However. . . . . nearly every character is a complete piece of crap and there are multiple scenes that are very disturbing. I will absolutely not watch this ever again, it’s just too bizarre for me.

From a purely technical aspect it’s a great movie. But if I could rewind my life 24 hours I would not watch it.

6. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But you will be thinking about it 48 hours later. So.many.wtf.moments

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The movie is really polarizing. I kind of hated it, I think. Tough to say. I know it's about power gained vs. power earned and a social commentary on wealth/vanity, but it almost didn't feel like a movie at all. And it isn't all that entertaining in the good ways, at least not something like American Psycho is.

8. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That’s just it- it’s a great movie from all of the technical aspects, but not entertaining at all, in my opinion.

And @mya , I have to disagree with you. I’ll be thinking about it a lot longer than 48 hours, and I wish I wouldn’t.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

By that metric, Human Centipede was a masterpiece.

10. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe it was all the social media talk that hyped Saltburn up too much but I didn't find it so disturbing. Yes, there were a few scenes that I thought "Gross" but plenty of other movies that are way more fucked up.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Anyone watch The Bear?

Just binged season 1 over the last couple of days and I quite like it. But I do NOT know how they even begin to classify this as a comedy.

12. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, Jeff!

So, the reason it's classified as a comedy is due to old-school "guidelines" where if it's a half hour, it's considered a comedy, but if it's an hour, it's a drama. But those were applied to standard network/cable TV shows, and now they're trying to apply the same standards to streaming shows which clearly don't fit into the existing paradigms.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Weird... the award shows are going to fuck up a lot of people. lol

My sister was all excited to watch it after seeing it win so many awards recently, then didn't even get through half of the pilot. "This isn't a comedy".

She was expecting something like Frasier, etc.

14. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh she should go ahead and skip to the Christmas episode, it's a hoot!

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

To me it felt like they were trying to make a mainstreamed, Gen-Z answer to “Salo”.

…and it failed, miserably. Stop casting that guy in lead roles. He has the most punchable face since Ryan Holiday.

16. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Watched Saltburn.

The cinematography was outstanding. A few WTF moments, of course. I didn't hate it, but I'm not sure I would recommend it to anyone either. Some gross or disturbing moments are okay but they need to feel like they're earned, and I didn't feel that way about some of them.

To me, the forced extubation scene was about as gross as any. It made me flinch. But of all the weird scenes, at least that one advanced the plot by so explicitly showing the contempt, disdain and violence he felt towards the family.

My problem with the "still thinking about it" metric is, am I still thinking about the movie, or am I fixated on a couple of disjointed scenes that didn't actually matter much to the plot? Because Saltburn is definitely in the latter category.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I think he's a great actor, he was excellent in Masters of the Air.

His final scene was absolutely tragic and he nailed it.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He is good in that - I'm watching it right now. (He was good in Banshees of Inisherin and Dunkirk.)

I get him and Tye Sheridan mixed up. He was good in The Night Clerk with Ana de Armas.

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Has anybody seen "The Greatest Night In Pop"? I quite enjoyed it, but I was in 11th grade when that song came out, so all those pop stars were daily on the radio. It's fascinating, though, just the logistics and hearing how it all finally came to be.

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hot damn. Tyson v Paul in July is going to be on Netflix for all subscribers. I can watch a fight without having to do $90 pay-per-view or go to a bar.